Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notching a Rigid Solo Rack

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Arrow Notching a Rigid Solo Rack

I mentioned it briefly in the "how to carry stuff on a street bob" thread, but it didn't garner much attention, so...

I'm gonna start taking the bike to work as much as possible soon, and I need a rack to carry a small duffel. I could go with the sissy bar rack method, but I really don't want to have that sissy bar on there more than I need to...

...which leads to a fender rack, and I could go Motherwell or HD. The Motherwell is definitely more cost effective, but I'm a little OCD about having stuff on the fender that absolutely doesn't have to be..which leaves the 2 HD racks: detach or rigid.

Opting for the detach rack makes for a faster removal if the wife wants a ride, but the rigid rack would let me use my detach sissy as a rear brace if I ever carried something heavier that momentum might pull off the rack.

The only thing with a solo rack is that you can't use it with two people...a sissy rack can go with or without the 2-up seat.

Ramble much? Thoughts? And has anyone notched out that rigid HD rack yet? PN 52796-09.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 PM
JerseyDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking about this too, carrying some crap when needed but being able to take off the rack/sissybar easy. How about just using the Motherwell and your detachable sissybar? Isn't the Motherwell rack just 2 screws, if you are going to run 2 up you have to remove those screws anyway for your seat. I think the notched rigid rack would take 1,000 times longer to take of and put on compared to the Motherwell.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:36 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know how much stuff you ride with to work, but I got the motherwell with a kury custom roll bag. The most I've taken is my uniform, gym clothes and a towel in the bag and that was just yesterday. Oh and have my work jacket bungeed to the top because it has d-rings on the outside of the bag. Finally got to ride yesterday adn today into work, and now it's going to rain tomorrow.

Last edited by JaronB; 07-24-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain

Backpack? I use an Oakley one for taking my lunch/water/monster to work when I ride in.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 AM
sonetpro
Cruiser

I have the HD detachable rack and am happy with it. Nothing touches the fender.
If you opt for the rigid, HD does make a Detachable Passenger Pillion that goes on the rack without removing it. 52689-09

Old 04-08-2009, 11:11 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rauzer
Backpack? I use an Oakley one for taking my lunch/water/monster to work when I ride in.
It's a long ride to work with more weight than I want to carry on my back.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know people have notched the sissy bar sideplates... its basically the same thing just the weight would be forcing the rack down, which is better than a sissy bar the weight is forcing it backwards, which isnt bad but not as good as down!!!

the rigid racks and side plates slip between the strut and fender, i think removing this time and time again and your bound to scratch the fender when sliding it out (ive been thinking of notching some sideplate to run a sissybar when need, have easy brackets and with the detachable hardware they are sticking out a good bit, dont know if i like that!)?!?!?! with the motherwell you just remove the 2 screws and pull it straigh up and off, no way its going to scratch you fender... unless you drop it or something.

Last edited by shimmon; 04-08-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

bikersfriend... they have a pad you can put on the fender, and the bag will attach without any need for a rack or sissybar. Also has a backrest for a more pleasant journey. Several sizes available. Check out all the options at www.bikersfriend.com

Old 04-08-2009, 01:53 PM
mcdowell72
Advanced

I'd just go with the Motherwell and use thumb screws. I think that'd be way faster on and off than messing with a notched solo rack.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
BrentsterS
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The black motherwell doesn't fit the 09 Bob. Really looking for something like that for "quick" removal. Anyone have any advice?

Quick Reply: Notching a Rigid Solo Rack