Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notching a Rigid Solo Rack

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by str33tb0b
Really nice set-up. It that your stock solo seat? I'm concerned that if I choose to get an aftermarket seat that it won't match with the passenger pillion.
That is my brand new Mustang Vintage solo. It should look about the same with the stock seat though.

Definately looked out of place when I had the barebones on it. The flow of the bike was a little off.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM
MasterGunz
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BeavisRules
That is my brand new Mustang Vintage solo. It should look about the same with the stock seat though.

Definately looked out of place when I had the barebones on it. The flow of the bike was a little off.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm leaning towards a LePera so I may go in another direction.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Is that the standard or wide solo seat?

Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 AM
BeavisRules
Road Master

It is the standard width.

Someone on the forum had a comparison set of pictures of the wide verses standard and I thought the standard looked proportionate.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:19 AM
CRZYLGZZ
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the price exactly, checked their website, nothing on price.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just noticed you are in the Springs. Let me know if you want to look at this set-up closer and I can meet you at Pikes Peak Harley or something.

Here are some better pictures:

Thanks for the great pics (even though posted 6+ months ago). That really combines the best of both worlds. Too bad the three pieces are $400 (+$100 for the passenger footpegs - if they're not already installed). Although, it doesn't need to be purchased all at once.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

I don’t get the aversion to the HD detachable rack…… I love mine! First thing I bought for my bike – found it in an ad on here for $100. At first I was disappointed that they didn’t come in black, but dude, when you’re using it – nobody is really going to see it anyway…..take it off when you’re done travelling and you can’t tell it was ever there.

I realize the Motherwell is cheaper, but if it dents your fender under heavy load is it really worth it?

Try this with a Motherwell:

Old 02-04-2010, 02:21 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The motherwell racks are pretty easy to use and well made but they will eventually dent your fender.Literally all the weight of anything you carry and all the pressure of strapping items onto the rack is stressing two mounting points on your less than 1/16" thick fender.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:20 PM
DMV11982
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly do you mean "notching" the rigid solo rack? Thanks!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:50 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I just noticed you are in the Springs. Let me know if you want to look at this set-up closer and I can meet you at Pikes Peak Harley or something.

Here are some better pictures:
I kind of like the look of this setup ...

I think the reference to 'notching' is taking a cutting tool and making a notch at the bottom of the mounting hole, so that the mount will slip down over the supporting bolt ... this would make it quick detach, but has the drawback of not holding it down if there is not a force of something heavy holding it in place or if there is an upward force that could remove it whilst you're tooling around ....

I have thought that perhaps there is a way to angle the notch on the front and maybe make a 'gate' on the rear that would lock it in place similar to the MoCo's quick-detach cam-lock hardware (except maybe not use a 'cam-lock' gate, but a simple latch with a cotter pin and 'hairpin' retaining clip) ....

Just need to get a set of saddle bags to hold the passenger pillion when you're not using it and you'd be all set ... !

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Notching a Rigid Solo Rack