Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plugging overfill tube okay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plugging overfill tube okay?

I really hate that on my '09 FXD I can't fill to the top the gas tank. If I put even a little bit over the inner lip inside the tank, it will run out a tube that comes out at the bottom of the bike and makes a puddle.

Is it possible or even okay, to somehow plug the hole (or whatever the tube is attached to...haven't looked yet)? Will it cause any problems if I do plug it up? I don't do it often, but I want to be able to overfill when I know I've got a buttload of miles ahead of me and it won't be sitting in the sun any amount of time after filling it up.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Overfill

That tube is a vent and if you plug it the tank may not feed because it can't get air into the tank.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
That tube is a vent and if you plug it the tank may not feed because it can't get air into the tank.

+1 do NOT plug the tube.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:41 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you will not get enough air in there, it will basicly create a vacume and no more fuel will go though... not good... undo it man, you can maybe get another .15 in there with it closed... just pull over and put in more gas, not to mention that all the fumes will build up and have no where to go!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
compgeek789
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a camp stove fuel bottle for a few extra miles. I rode through Death Valley last summer with my brother. He has a sportster with a peanut tank. Got a little worried about distances, so I brought along a pony bottle of fuel. We ended up not needing it, but it sure was nice to have for peace of mind. Even if it only adds 5 miles of range, that's 5 miles less that we would have had to walk through Death Valley.

I would never spend $120 on a leather holster for a fuel bottle, but this can give you a few ideas:

http://www.nashmotorcycle.com/index....rts/fuelslings

Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Like others said its needed as a vent.

How much gas you trying to get in there I have never had gas run out of mine. I can run over 200 miles on a tank if on the highway only.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

good to know...

Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I aint never had gas run out of mine either. I even stand the thing up to get a little more in there. When i say full, I mean FULL!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:59 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Yonaton
I really hate that on my '09 FXD I can't fill to the top the gas tank. If I put even a little bit over the inner lip inside the tank, it will run out a tube that comes out at the bottom of the bike and makes a puddle.

Is it possible or even okay, to somehow plug the hole (or whatever the tube is attached to...haven't looked yet)? Will it cause any problems if I do plug it up? I don't do it often, but I want to be able to overfill when I know I've got a buttload of miles ahead of me and it won't be sitting in the sun any amount of time after filling it up.
As mentioned above, don't plug it. If you plug it, it will create a vacuum in the tank and make it harder for the fuel pump, to pump fuel.

I always fill my bike on the side stand to the lower inner lip without any fuel going out the vent line, even after bringing the bike back upright. You might want to remove your tank access cover, it has a metal vent line attached to it that may need to be bent a little higher and forward.

If your looking to take some long trips without refueling you can get creative like below.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
PG13125
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't do it, otherwise the gas won't flow

Quick Reply: Plugging overfill tube okay?