Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which shocks do I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. How about this! I do not have a problem with the factory shocks, they seem(to me that is) to ride just fine. Now, I would like to lower it but not interested in buying a top of the line rear shock, Should i just get the Factory HD lowering shock or the progressive 412's? I can get either one for about the same price.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think if you are going to lower it with a standard quality shock, it wouldn't really matter what brand you use. Probably makes most sense to just get a used one on Ebay.

Originally Posted by dynarule
OK. How about this! I do not have a problem with the factory shocks, they seem(to me that is) to ride just fine. Now, I would like to lower it but not interested in buying a top of the line rear shock, Should i just get the Factory HD lowering shock or the progressive 412's? I can get either one for about the same price.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 PM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by gregbenner
I would think if you are going to lower it with a standard quality shock, it wouldn't really matter what brand you use. Probably makes most sense to just get a used one on Ebay.
Im not real crazy about buying that type of part used. What i was trying to get at, is the 412 better than stock? If its the same price either way, why not get the better of the two.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have an '07 Low Rider and want to replace the stock shocks as well. I called performance and I couldn't understand the guy. I don't want a college education in suspension, I just want to remove the H-D shocks and install better ones. I don't know what the length is, or anything technical about it. The Progressive allow you to simply replace the OEM with their p/n shock cross-references to the OEM. However, I read on here that the Progressive are not very good, especially the 412s. So, I am at a loss as far as replacing my shocks. I wish Performance Works would simply have a chart like Progressive does.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
I have an '07 Low Rider and want to replace the stock shocks as well. I called performance and I couldn't understand the guy. I don't want a college education in suspension, I just want to remove the H-D shocks and install better ones. I don't know what the length is, or anything technical about it. The Progressive allow you to simply replace the OEM with their p/n shock cross-references to the OEM. However, I read on here that the Progressive are not very good, especially the 412s. So, I am at a loss as far as replacing my shocks. I wish Performance Works would simply have a chart like Progressive does.
Dude ya should call em back, you probably talked to the owner & he's alot of help! They'll make what ever ya want, just tell him ya want a replacement shock with they're gear if ya want to keep it simple & pick black or chrome & most important they set them up to your weight & riding style! Ya can't understand the difference until ya try it.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Sorry DR, I misunderstood. I have read a lot of comments that the Progressive shocks are no better than stock.....have also read just as many saying it is better

I have tried the Progressive 440 twice, and it didn't seem better or worse than stock (both on HD touring bikes, Road King and Road Glide...not a Dyna).

Im not real crazy about buying that type of part used. What i was trying to get at, is the 412 better than stock? If its the same price either way, why not get the better of the two.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM
madden23
Road Master

Progressive 440's are marginally better than stock, 412's are pretty equal to stock.I made the mistake of buying 440's on several peoples advice, I sold em for about half what I paid for them, and I was glad to see them go. My bike with 440's was harsh at the softest setting, non compliant to surface irregularities, and the rear would break loose coming out of a hard turn under throttle way too easy( umm.. shock is supposed to help rear keep contact with road, maybe the 440's don't work well!) Anyway ditched them and couldn't be happier with the YSS, and now coming fast out of a corner, rear is planted, and grin factor is way up, so is confidence in what the bike is capable of. I didn't buy the very best, but the YSS Z 366 TRL are so much better than progessive, I am totally happy.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Madden, the guys at Progressive told me that their largest supplier sells "only" the heavy duty spring versioin. They list both the regular and HD, but that both in reality both are shipped with the HD springs The whlesaler is a big company......

I actuallY took mine (off my Road Glide) to their shop and they resprung them free. After that they were probably as good as the stock air shocks (I got them slightly used from a good friend for 1/2 price, will sell them when I get around to it).

I just ordered the YSS 366 for my Street Rod....looking forward to trying them.

Originally Posted by madden23
Progressive 440's are marginally better than stock, 412's are pretty equal to stock.I made the mistake of buying 440's on several peoples advice, I sold em for about half what I paid for them, and I was glad to see them go. My bike with 440's was harsh at the softest setting, non compliant to surface irregularities, and the rear would break loose coming out of a hard turn under throttle way too easy( umm.. shock is supposed to help rear keep contact with road, maybe the 440's don't work well!) Anyway ditched them and couldn't be happier with the YSS, and now coming fast out of a corner, rear is planted, and grin factor is way up, so is confidence in what the bike is capable of. I didn't buy the very best, but the YSS Z 366 TRL are so much better than progessive, I am totally happy.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:04 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you feel comfortable with the stock shock, Just get the 12" ones from H-D. I originally traded my black progressives for a set of fatbob shocks(12"). I liked the fatbob shocks better than the progressives. I also feel the fatbob shock rides better than my stock 12.6" shocks on my FXDC. I think you should check zanottis for the best price for the lowering shocks and get them.