Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Moan" coming from the rear end..WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Moan" coming from the rear end..WTF?

I set out to put the TT (front only) on this morning. I got all the tools out I would need, had the bike sitting upright (not on the jiffy stand) with the motor supported by a floor jack. I follow the directions to the letter, and guess what happens? When I remove the two front (frame mount) isolator bolts, the whole damn engine shifts back and down. I check the jack and it's still "supporting" the engine, so I don't know what the hell happened. I spent the better part of an hour trying to get the thing lined back up and get the TT mounted when I realized it just wasn't going to happen, and I'd be lucky if I could get the original bolts back in.

Anyhow, it took me about another hour but I finally got it back together with the orginal bolts. I took it out for a ride and now I've got a pretty noticeable "moan" coming from the back of the bike in the rear tire area when I'm coasting to a stop. It only does it when you're coasting or not putting any power to the rear wheel, and it's most noticeable from 32 mph down to 10 mph, then it stops. It's not gear related because I tried it in neutral and it still moans.

I took the bike for a ride before I tried to install the TT and it wasn't doing it then, so what the hell have I done? How could monkeying with the front engine mount cause a moan from the rear wheel area?

I'm going to learn one day to leave well-enough alone. My bike handles fine and I didn't need the TT, and now I wish I'd not yielded to temptation and bought the damn thing.

Last edited by Gary7; 04-04-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Check your belt tension.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:15 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,530 Posts

When the old lady rides with me I ride around in third gear around town, getting some good vibes going, then I hear some moaning in the back too. When I upshift to fourth the moaning goes away as well as the vibes. When the engine dropped the rear mount at the swingarm might have gotten out of alignment or loosened up. I'd check that mount.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might have got the engine out of alignment when it dropped down and the center link under the tank might be jacked around? Hopefully it did not get bent. I would jack the bike up off the ground, get a small scissors jack and slide it underneath the front of engine and slightly support it, loosen the front engine mount bolts at the frame and at the engine and remove one of the true track heim joint bolts. Now torque the mount to engine bolts then use the small jack to take any weight off the mount to frame bolts so you can turn the bolts by hand. If there is a significant gap between the engine mount and frame I would shim it with washers, torque the frame bolts and retest.
It was posted on here by some one to loosen the mount bolts at the frame and start the engine to settle the mounts?
Did you have some hold the bike up and just support the engine, cause I don't see how the engine would drop if you had the bike and engine supported?
You'll get it figured out, the only thing you messed with was the front mount.
CB

Old 04-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
You might have got the engine out of alignment when it dropped down and the center link under the tank might be jacked around? Hopefully it did not get bent. I would jack the bike up off the ground, get a small scissors jack and slide it underneath the front of engine and slightly support it, loosen the front engine mount bolts at the frame and at the engine and remove one of the true track heim joint bolts.
The TT is not on the bike; I never did get it on. I put it all back to factory condition. I checked the top stabilizer under the tank and it's fine. Engine only dropped about 3/4" and shifted back about the same amount. But now it's all back where it was judging by looking at the front mount, hence my confusion over this new noise from the area of the back wheel.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
The TT is not on the bike; I never did get it on. I put it all back to factory condition. I checked the top stabilizer under the tank and it's fine. Engine only dropped about 3/4" and shifted back about the same amount. But now it's all back where it was judging by looking at the front mount, hence my confusion over this new noise from the area of the back wheel.
If you had that much trouble putting it back together then I would still try what I recommended. The reason I say this is that I loosened up my front mount to check to see if there was a gap between the mount and frame (less than a washer gap) supporting just the engine but on the jiffy and I had more vibrations so I did what I described above and it was better afterwards. Oh, and put the true track on while your at it.
CB

Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your belt tension

Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 PM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gary7
This is very strange. I replaced my front motor mount and I to have this same noise coming from the rear. It only happens when i let off the throttle just enough that it isnt pulling or slowing down, like taking the load off the rear wheel, then i get this moaning sound. It never did this before. I checked and rechecked the allignment and the belt tension and every thing is tip top. What the hell is going on here??????

Old 04-04-2009, 10:05 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarule
This is very strange. I replaced my front motor mount and I to have this same noise coming from the rear. It only happens when i let off the throttle just enough that it isnt pulling or slowing down, like taking the load off the rear wheel, then i get this moaning sound. It never did this before. I checked and rechecked the allignment and the belt tension and every thing is tip top. What the hell is going on here??????
alignment,look at the rear pulley,is the belt against one side????rubbing the side of the pulley????look at the belt and see if one side is worn.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:12 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

Ill give you $100 for your TT right now.

Quick Reply: "Moan" coming from the rear end..WTF?