Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Moan" coming from the rear end..WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIDE
Ill give you $100 for your TT right now.
Make it $250 and it's yours.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
dynarule
Tourer

Originally Posted by txtec
alignment,look at the rear pulley,is the belt against one side????rubbing the side of the pulley????look at the belt and see if one side is worn.
Yes it is. I checked using a tool to measure from the center of the axle bolt the front of the swing arm on both sides and Ive got it right on the money but the belt is tracking to the outside edge of the rear pulley. I was told that this is normal. I did have it to where it was riding straight down the center of the pulley but the tire wasnt tracking perectly straight with the measurements on the swing arm. so i put it back to the specs and the belt tracks the outside. It never made this noise till i changed the front mount. Its funny that Gary7 now has the same issue and i never really thaught much about it till he posted on this.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:40 PM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, posts like this concern me. I have my TT sitting in the box, still waiting for decent weather to get some good riding in, so I can get a bench mark for the TT effects. I've been thinking about this install quite a bit. I'm thinking about only removing the lower bolt, putting the TT on an angle to the frame mount, putting the new bolt in, and then rotating the TT to put in the 2nd bolt. That way I can avoid the engine shifting/moving.

For the guys who have already completed the install, think this would help?

Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

GAry: Might be a good idea to do the engine alignment procedure outlined in the service manual.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:34 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
When the old lady rides with me I ride around in third gear around town, getting some good vibes going, then I hear some moaning in the back too. When I upshift to fourth the moaning goes away as well as the vibes. When the engine dropped the rear mount at the swingarm might have gotten out of alignment or loosened up. I'd check that mount.
Man ... I thought you were going to say the moaning was your ol lady! [J/K]

R/
Priest

Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thicker p-pad for the OL maybe?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:14 AM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dynarule
Yes it is. I checked using a tool to measure from the center of the axle bolt the front of the swing arm on both sides and Ive got it right on the money but the belt is tracking to the outside edge of the rear pulley. I was told that this is normal. I did have it to where it was riding straight down the center of the pulley but the tire wasnt tracking perectly straight with the measurements on the swing arm. so i put it back to the specs and the belt tracks the outside. It never made this noise till i changed the front mount. Its funny that Gary7 now has the same issue and i never really thaught much about it till he posted on this.
need to do the engine alignment procedure in the service book,when you change or move front mounts you change the angle of the torsion bar at the top of the motor,it can twist the belt which makes groaning noice and sometimes a vibration.t track instructions should say loosen the drive belt,thats why gary had to pry motor to get the mount bolts back in,his 09 has xtra tight belt specs.

Last edited by txtec; 04-05-2009 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:29 AM
dynarule
Tourer

I dont have the TT on mine,just replaced the front mount. The swing arm is attached the tranny case, so it cant twist or change just from the front mount beeing replaced. the rear wheel and drive belt and swing arm are part of the engine,tranny and not connected to the frame in any SOLID way other than rubber. I dont have a sevice manual, so could you give the this procedure?

Last edited by dynarule; 04-05-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by txtec
need to do the engine alignment procedure in the service book,when you change or move front mounts you change the angle of the torsion bar at the top of the motor,it can twist the belt which makes groaning noice and sometimes a vibration.t track instructions should say loosen the drive belt,thats why gary had to pry motor to get the mount bolts back in,his 09 has xtra tight belt specs.
What you're saying makes perfect sense, except in the section on replacing the front motor mount, the service manual doesn't say anything about loosening the drive belt or re-aligning the engine. If that isn't required for putting in a new mount, why would it be needed for just removing the bolts on the existing one?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 AM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary7
What you're saying makes perfect sense, except in the section on replacing the front motor mount, the service manual doesn't say anything about loosening the drive belt or re-aligning the engine. If that isn't required for putting in a new mount, why would it be needed for just removing the bolts on the existing one?
it may not be required in the instructions ,but it makes it a lot easyer getting it back in alignment. raising the bike on a jack gets some of the tension of the belt also.

Quick Reply: "Moan" coming from the rear end..WTF?