Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Track Install: Problem Found

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 07:22 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Good thing you paid that dealer prep fee. That should have been found before the bike left the show room.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Newhawk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
I moved mine out of that notch. No big deal, I don't see why it will be a problem, but I didn't want those wires and that switch pressed against the bracket. There's not much space back there.

Check this picture out. This is exactly how I did mine.

That is how I did mine.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll tell you, if you have an 08' up the fit will be a piece of cake! The switch is now the banjo bolt that goes directly into the master, it no longer comes off the hose fitting.
If you want a clean install and a better brake line to boot, order up the 08' line and switch. The brake lines (F+R) on the 08' up are basically a SS line with out the SS braided covering, no more rubber hose.
Line 42142-08 $34.32
switch 72026-08 $6.09
@ Zanotti
Other than the switch being in the way , I don't see where anyone would have a problem doing the rear mount. I jacked the bike off the ground and used a small scissors jack with a small piece of 2x4 under the trans pan. I loosened all the bolts and the mount just sort of floats around allowing you to easily remove and reposition the bolts, hell the mount just drops right out if you want to inspect it. I would say that if you try to do it with any of the bolts tight it will be difficult. Just install all the bolts loose and then torque them.
I went ahead and moved the brake line.

You also may need to slide the plastic piece that holds the wire harness in the center of the frame up little. The ground leads were in the way of moving the plastic harness holder up so I had to loosen the ground at the engine and rotate the leads out of the way.

Where the engine mount bolts to the frame there are counter bores. I did not like how they just bolted the bracket over these bores with out support behind the bracket, it could suck the bracket down into them when torquing them down so I installed washers in the counter bores flush to the frame so the bracket would tighten down evenly.
CB

Attached Thumbnails True Track Install: Problem Found-img_0510.jpg   True Track Install: Problem Found-marked3.jpg  

Last edited by NoLongerAmember; 04-03-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:07 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Finished the install on the rear of the True Track and took it for a rip. I can not believe the difference in ride quality. The bike feels so much tighter and steering input is so much quicker, even slow parking lot steering is tighter. I took it down one of our roads that has a few tight sweepers and no wallow. Prior to the install I thought that this was just the way this bike handled, like a rubber band and somewhat disappointed. H-D truly missed the boat by not installing 3 links and I only have the 2 on right now, can't wait for my new front mount to arrive so I can complete the install and really give it a test.

CB

Oh, Gary7, I think your wrong on that the front will make the biggest difference.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I'll tell you, if you have an 08' up the fit will be a piece of cake! The switch is now the banjo bolt that goes directly into the master, it no longer comes off the hose fitting.
If you want a clean install and a better brake line to boot, order up the 08' line and switch. The brake lines (F+R) on the 08' up are basically a SS line with out the SS braided covering, no more rubber hose.
Line 42142-08 $34.32
switch 72026-08 $6.09
@ Zanotti
Other than the switch being in the way , I don't see where anyone would have a problem doing the rear mount. I jacked the bike off the ground and used a small scissors jack with a small piece of 2x4 under the trans pan. I loosened all the bolts and the mount just sort of floats around allowing you to easily remove and reposition the bolts, hell the mount just drops right out if you want to inspect it. I would say that if you try to do it with any of the bolts tight it will be difficult. Just install all the bolts loose and then torque them.
I went ahead and moved the brake line.

You also may need to slide the plastic piece that holds the wire harness in the center of the frame up little. The ground leads were in the way of moving the plastic harness holder up so I had to loosen the ground at the engine and rotate the leads out of the way.

Where the engine mount bolts to the frame there are counter bores. I did not like how they just bolted the bracket over these bores with out support behind the bracket, it could suck the bracket down into them when torquing them down so I installed washers in the counter bores flush to the frame so the bracket would tighten down evenly.
CB
Great pics! thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Finished the install...I can not believe the difference in ride quality...
Now bending that brake line a little doesn't seem so bad does it?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by mtnlvr
Now bending that brake line a little doesn't seem so bad does it?
Well, the case rubbing the frame threw me for a loop and got me all wound up and then the switch being in the way, what can I say? I should have just finished the install instead of bitchin' and then laid out what I found, but it was late and I was rushing it. I wanted to ride it in the early morning so I could I could evaluate it and then install the front brace with the new mount that did not friggin' show up anyway,

I did not bend the line, I went ahead and loosened the brake line and rotated it out of the groove clockwise and next to the bracket as others have done, bled the rear brake and took it for a spin.

One other thing I noticed is it does not track the grooves as much, especially the grooves made by the road crew when they grind the paint lines away, that wiggle you get when you run over them.

With the Ricors and the True Track, the crappy rear shocks really show up!
CB

Old 04-04-2009, 07:14 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CB

My sentiments exactly! Glad you got everything all hooked up and are as happy with the improvements as I was!

Mike

Old 04-04-2009, 07:46 PM
dynarule
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the case rubbing the frame threw me for a loop and got me all wound up and then the switch being in the way, what can I say? I should have just finished the install instead of bitchin' and then laid out what I found, but it was late and I was rushing it. I wanted to ride it in the early morning so I could I could evaluate it and then install the front brace with the new mount that did not friggin' show up anyway,

I did not bend the line, I went ahead and loosened the brake line and rotated it out of the groove clockwise and next to the bracket as others have done, bled the rear brake and took it for a spin.

One other thing I noticed is it does not track the grooves as much, especially the grooves made by the road crew when they grind the paint lines away, that wiggle you get when you run over them.

CB
I just looked at rear mount and it is also hitting the frame! With it on the lift there is about a half inch gap from the frame, I cant figure out what is going on here, every thing is tight. Did you get this resolved?

Old 04-04-2009, 08:37 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by dynarule
I just looked at rear mount and it is also hitting the frame! With it on the lift there is about a half inch gap from the frame, I cant figure out what is going on here, every thing is tight. Did you get this resolved?
I think it is just when it was manufactured and dropped into the frame, looks like it just smacked it once or twice. It would have to rock back 1/2-3/4 " to hit and mine is not rounded or polished, something I would expect if were constantly hitting the frame. My front mount is pretty worn but the rear mount was in great shape, the bolts to the case were not torqued though, I could turn them by hand when I went to remove them.
I did not thin much more about it, might try putting some touch up paint on it and see if it knocks off the paint?
CB