Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard rear suspension....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by r00k
What ever you do, do not spend more than $11 or so on the tool. Someone posted a while ago that their dealer was pushing a $60 wrench...
Yeah, that's robbery. The one I bought was a simple Drag Specialties piece that I got at the local HD...cost like $8-10.

I noticed that riding solo, if I had the stock shocks on 4 or 5 I'd definitely get bounced out of the seat on a hard bump. I've got a set of 412s on there now, and can leave them on 5 without getting bumped, but of course a lighter setting is still way more comfy.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:46 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r00k
What ever you do, do not spend more than $11 or so on the tool. Someone posted a while ago that their dealer was pushing a $60 wrench...
Ouch... Any suggestions on a compatable wrench that is not from HD? I have one, but does not work on this type of collar..

Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Ouch... Any suggestions on a compatable wrench that is not from HD? I have one, but does not work on this type of collar..
http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbo...1896?q=spanner

Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Got the HD spanner wrench for $9, and then realized after taking it to my shock that my shock IS set at the lowest position. I haven't had much to play around with settings, but would tightening it help at all to lessen the catapult effect? Most likely I would think it would make it worse, but just curious. Anyone reading this on a Street bob weigh around the same as me (160 lbs) and have any suggestions? Just seems that the bike is unsafe on turns since if I hit a bump on a turn, I fear my rear tire will lose traction and cause catastrophic results...

Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

I am starting to think about shock replacement. Hard to tell the real differences though when looking at Progressive's line which I have heard recommended on other forums and posts. Can anyone recommend a model and explain the differences in functionality (not form) between the 412's, the 440's and the 430. I assume the HD variants are for heavier riders/loads. I like the hand/on the fly adjustability of the 430 and 440s, but there has to be more to them for me to justify the cost difference.

BTW, what is the stock shock size? I don't want to lower the ride...

Last edited by DeathProof72; 04-05-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:43 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am starting to think about shock replacement. Hard to tell the real differences though when looking at Progressive's line which I have heard recommended on other forums and posts. Can anyone recommend a model and explain the differences in functionality (not form) between the 412's, the 440's and the 430. I assume the HD variants are for heavier riders/loads. I like the hand/on the fly adjustability of the 430 and 440s, but there has to be more to them for me to justify the cost difference.

Your stock shock height is 12". You would do best to look into Ohlins or works performance. They will match the spring and internals to your weight and riding you do. No more bounce, just good smooth ride and better cornering. I did the Ohlins 36E. The ride difference is amazing. Completely blows away progressive or stock. Oh, the Ohlins and works can be had for around the same price(or less) than progressive 440 and 430.

Before you go buy new shocks, Increase the preload a notch and see what happens. May be that you have too much sag.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM
NoLongerAmember
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not a huge fan of progressive but at your weight and for the money the STD 412 progressive will work well. They have a softer spring rate than the stock H-D shocks so you can adjust up. I would go with the 12.6" and set the sag for 1.5" that way you still are close to the original ride height and have a little more travel. I know on my sporty they were considerably softer than stock so I bought 1" longer and with just the bike weight it was close to the stock height and the extra travel really helped and worked well for a low priced shock. Eastern Performance has the 12.6" for 169.00
12.6"http://www.easternperformance.com/pr...6%22-Dyna.html
12" http://www.easternperformance.com/pr...yna-12%22.html
No, they are not the best but they will work better than the stock ones for your weight! At 160 those shocks have got to beating you up, I am 185 and they are still stiff, even on the lowest setting.

Since I am over budget on my bike, I am considering the 418s with rebound adjustment.
Cheapest I could find is 347.00
440s = waste of money
YSS 600+
Ohlins 700-1000+
If money is not an issue, then definitely buy a better shock.
CB

I would seriously consider investing in the True Track and Ricor IAS for the forks!!!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 12:29 AM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am 250 lbs and adjusted my stock shocks to the max stiffness...havn't hit 'bottom' since...

Old 04-06-2009, 04:53 AM
MonteW
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregbenner
In my personal experience, the Dyna has the absolute worst rear shocks I have ever seen (I currently have 10 bikes). I weigh 200, same experience you describe.

I purchased some new Ohlin shocks, rather expensove, but totally transformed the ride. Any aftermarket shock is likely better than what you have. Get the same (or longer) length. Shorter will just make it worse, if thats possible

jmo,

greg
Greg,
what type of Ohlins shocks do you use?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:34 AM
creekhed1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my personal experience, the Dyna has the absolute worst rear shocks I have ever seen (I currently have 10 bikes). I weigh 200, same experience you describe.
I take it you have never ridden a 883 or 1200C? hahahahhaaa

Seriously though, my Dyna rides like a CADILLAC compared to my 2008 XL1200C!!! That Sportster would bottom out LOOKING at a pothole!

Quick Reply: Hard rear suspension....