Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard rear suspension....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely need to adjust the preload. Back it off to the lightest setting and go from there. Suspension has to be played with until you get it where you want it. I agree, stock HD shocks aren't all that great, but even at that, they're better than Progressive in my opinion. It mostly depends on what you want out of your bike. If you're a cruiser, then the stock suspension can be tweaked enough to get you somewhat satisfied. But if you're a hard rider...stock ain't gonna cut it.
When adjusting, Rounder is right, counter clockwise to lessen, clockwise to increase preload. Really simple, increasing preload compresses it, making it stiffer...lessening softens.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to Dyna stock shocks being ****. No amount of adjusting will change that.

My 2c.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MZBuckeye
+1 to Dyna stock shocks being ****. No amount of adjusting will change that.

My 2c.
MZ...your bike is gettin better and better. How do you like it these days?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by last saint
MZ...your bike is gettin better and better. How do you like it these days?
Thanks! Well, it's been a lot of work, but I think it's ready. I'm actually happier with it than I thought I would be when I first started riding it. The suspension, brakes, tires and TT have put it right where I want it.

Only about 5 weeks until I take it to the dragon, and then we'll see what it's really made of!

Old 04-03-2009, 08:26 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DeathProof72
Is that counter clockwise when looking down at the top of the shock, or from the bottom prospective looking up?
looking down . On the exhaust side turn towards the front of the bike. Primary side turn towards the rear of the bike.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:33 AM
skirtbum
Intermediate

Stoopid question from a newbie, but how do you adjust the shocks? Had my 09 Street Bob for about 3 weeks now (first bike). Do you have to compress the shock to get to the adjustment nut or what.

Enjoyning the bike and the site.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skirtbum
Stoopid question from a newbie, but how do you adjust the shocks? Had my 09 Street Bob for about 3 weeks now (first bike). Do you have to compress the shock to get to the adjustment nut or what.

Enjoyning the bike and the site.
shock spanner wrench. Your dealer should have em. They're about 10 bucks.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:59 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rounder
looking down . On the exhaust side turn towards the front of the bike. Primary side turn towards the rear of the bike.
Thanks... Just gotta a spanner wrench. The one I have won't fit.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:14 AM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by last saint
Definitely need to adjust the preload. Back it off to the lightest setting and go from there. Suspension has to be played with until you get it where you want it. I agree, stock HD shocks aren't all that great, but even at that, they're better than Progressive in my opinion. It mostly depends on what you want out of your bike. If you're a cruiser, then the stock suspension can be tweaked enough to get you somewhat satisfied. But if you're a hard rider...stock ain't gonna cut it.
When adjusting, Rounder is right, counter clockwise to lessen, clockwise to increase preload. Really simple, increasing preload compresses it, making it stiffer...lessening softens.
Cool, thanks for the info. Gonna pick up a spanner wrench from my dealer (I hear they are like $11 or so) and work on getting it at least better this weekend (not looking for perfect, but gotta be better than being airborne over bumps, LOL)

Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
r00k
Road Warrior

What ever you do, do not spend more than $11 or so on the tool. Someone posted a while ago that their dealer was pushing a $60 wrench...

Quick Reply: Hard rear suspension....