Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very disappointed in Dyna 2008 with only 2500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:32 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread and a suck of a problem. My 08 Fatbob had issues last year and it turned out to be a broken battery terminal wire. When "I" replaced it (Because i didn't want to tow it for a battery wire) it kept coming loose. I ended up putting a lock washer on it and now it's fine. As a matter of fact i left my battery on the bike with no trickle charge all winter with the alarm system on in my freezing shed and last Saturday i hit the start switch, turned the bike right over and took my 1st ride of the season! Soooo I can relate to your frustration and agree with the person who said shame on Harley, new bikes shouldn't have problems as often as new Harley's apparently do. (Just read all the problems people have had with their new bikes on this site ... it's nuts! These people aren't making this crap up!!) Seems like HD has lack luster quality control at their factories. That said ... they ARE wonderful bikes once the bugs are worked out. (But why sell them with so many bugs?) I hope they fix your bike RIGHT and you can fall in love with it again! If not ... and HD loses a potential life long customer it's their own fault! The young generation in my neck of the woods all ride rice rockets. If HD wants their business in a few years when their joins start hurting them they won't get it with history or name, they'll get it or lose it on reputation. That reputation has never been based on reliability in the past. It's getting better but these complaints about problems with their new bikes won't help!

Anyway ... Good luck man and let us know how this turns out!!

Last edited by FatBobRay; 04-01-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:34 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

A good set of hydrospanners will have it back in quick working order.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:54 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still trying to figure out WHY the 1000 mike service cost YOU $450. All of the dealers areound Atlanta do them for FREE even if you don't buy the extended service deal. I think the labor rate here is $85.00. Good luck, I psuhed the first HD I had about as much as I rode it, still would fight you for bashing it. gary

Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer

Originally Posted by gabulldog
I'm still trying to figure out WHY the 1000 mike service cost YOU $450. All of the dealers areound Atlanta do them for FREE even if you don't buy the extended service deal. I think the labor rate here is $85.00. Good luck, I psuhed the first HD I had about as much as I rode it, still would fight you for bashing it. gary
Pushed as much as you rode it? ............ And you bought a 2nd?

I love my Fatbob but if i ever "pushed as much as I rode" ANY brand of motorcycle, car or ANYTHING that cost me good money I'd never buy another of the same brand. I'd be soured on that brand for life!

Guess I'm not as loyal as you when it comes to my toys.

Last edited by FatBobRay; 04-01-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Spark Fuel Compression

The basics.......Spark Fuel Compression.....
You just put fuel in it and hadn't run it dry so let rule out Fuel
It is a practically new motorcycle so let rule out Compression
You can't get it to turn over ......... OH I guess it never would have developed compression then would it?
Since it doesn't turn over it means your battery is crap, or starter or something is loose... most likely battery or something loose.

It is something real simple.... guaranteed.
Most likely the battery is dead.... why is the question
First thing I'd of done after checking that every switch etc was correct and checking for loose connections was hooked up a pair of jumper cables to it and see if it would turn over, do you know what those are?
This would eliminate the battery out of the equation.

As for this bashing of makes I don't really get it
I've had all makes of cars and bikes.... very few problems with ANY of them
My American cars have all been extremely reliable.
Same for all 20 some odd motorcycles I've owned.
Now I do take fairly good care of them, don't abuse them to hard, nor do I baby them though. Now this will be my first Harley but I expect that it will be fairly reliable as well. If or when I have a problem then I'll just have to sort it out. My Ducati quit on me the second day I had it.... bad battery. A KTM I own wouldn't crank........ bad battery. I see in other boards where BMW's have problems and heaven forbid even Hondas.

Something that I try and do on a new bike is get it home and pull the seat, tank etc off of it and I will "Put a Wrench On" every nut bolt etc. For all of the electrical connectors I like to open them up and I will put "A Drop" of 3 in 1 oil into each contact point. Then I re-seat the connector and I might even tape it up if it is in a location that is suspect to lots of water. (Most of today's connectors are lots better then the older ones but old habits die hard). Evidently this has paid off with very few parts rattling off or "Electrical Connection" problems.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 AM
palmbeachcpl
Cruiser
Thumbs up That happened to me

I have a 2008 DYNA FXDL and it would not start! The stater wouldn't work. Had lights and all but starter would not engage. Looked into the fuse box and noted the fuses had white powder (corrosion) on them. Pulled a fuse and found one blown. I changed it out with the turn signal fuse and it started right up. You need to maintain the fuse box by cleaning with eletraclean and use some electrical greese. Try this and see what happens.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:12 AM
FatBobRay
Tourer

Originally Posted by palmbeachcpl
I have a 2008 DYNA FXDL and it would not start! The stater wouldn't work. Had lights and all but starter would not engage. Looked into the fuse box and noted the fuses had white powder (corrosion) on them. Pulled a fuse and found one blown. I changed it out with the turn signal fuse and it started right up. You need to maintain the fuse box by cleaning with eletraclean and use some electrical greese. Try this and see what happens.

Wow your 08 had corrosion on the fuses. That's surprising for such a young motorcycle.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:37 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBobRay
Wow your 08 had corrosion on the fuses. That's surprising for such a young motorcycle.
Probably corrosion from the salt in the air in Florida.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Nickpisp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Probably corrosion from the salt in the air in Florida.
I checked mine last weekend and corrosion was developing, we don't have much salt air in Oklahoma either.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 PM
bakerm75
Road Captain

My moneys on a battery connection like JRK said.
When I put the new battery in my 03 I apparently didn't get it tight. I was riding about 120miles away to visit my grandfather when it started cutting out about 10 miles out. Got to where I was going and it wouldn't start. did the same thing no turning over lights working.
I tightened the battery and it fired right up.

Its always the simple things that get you.

Quick Reply: Very disappointed in Dyna 2008 with only 2500 miles