Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Rider or Streetbob

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:44 PM
IlikeHummers
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Rider or Streetbob

Hello,

Do any of you experience riders think it's a wise decision to pursue the purchase on one of these two bikes for a beginner. I ask, because I like these two Dyna models but am very inexperienced. And honestly, I don't have the patientce to start out with a sporster.

Old 04-30-2006, 04:50 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Low Rider or Streetbob

How much of a beginner are you? If you've never ridden a motorcycle before, a Dyna is not the right choice. Buy an inexpensive dual purpose dirt bike. Practice riding skills in the dirt. Then move up to street survival skills. Then get a Dyna.

If you're an experianced bike rider but this is your first bike, then a Dyna may be a good choice. Personally, if my wife didn't like to ride so much (as a passenger) I'd have a sporty. I love hot rods.

As for Bobber vs. LR, which one gives you a woody? Buy that one.

Old 04-30-2006, 05:15 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If you have never ridden before IMO...you should get a used Jap street bike (500-750cc)that you can learn on for a year. Then sell it on ebay and buy your Harley at the end of the season when you will get a great deal on a left over. That way if you drop the Jap bike while learing it's not so heartbreaking & wallet breaking.

PS don't forget to take a MSF course.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:16 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually find myself disagreeing with these posts, I would recommend this, as your not a child. Buy the Harley YOU WANT, you will regret it if you dont. But on the other hand do what is neccesary to make yourself a safe rider. Barrow, or buy a cheap trail/dirt bike. Take the dirt bike out as much as you can, practice turns, emergency stops, high speed-low speed manuvers. Get use to the controls, dont cheat your self and put two hours on the dirt bike and think your a pro, its not worth it. Then take a MSF course and be confident with a good passing manuvers test. And lastly enjoy your Harley. I rode/raced dirt bikes for years and never rode a street bike, bought the Harley I wanted and have been fine.

Oh and by the way, get the LowRider with profile laced wheels in Vivid Black (he, he it looks sharp) just my opinion

Old 04-30-2006, 06:24 PM
ICE17N24
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Unibomber

I usually find myself disagreeing with these posts, I would recommend this, as your not a child. Buy the Harley YOU WANT, you will regret it if you dont.
I agree with the Bomber. My wife took the MSF rider class and we bought her the Bob. She hasn't had any problems yet. I always watch her close when we ride and she is doing great. I do think you ought to take a class if you have never riden a scoot before (dirt or street).

Good luck
ICE24

Old 04-30-2006, 06:45 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob!!!!

Old 04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bobcowan

How much of a beginner are you? If you've never ridden a motorcycle before, a Dyna is not the right choice. Buy an inexpensive dual purpose dirt bike. Practice riding skills in the dirt. Then move up to street survival skills. Then get a Dyna.

If you're an experianced bike rider but this is your first bike, then a Dyna may be a good choice. Personally, if my wife didn't like to ride so much (as a passenger) I'd have a sporty. I love hot rods.

As for Bobber vs. LR, which one gives you a woody? Buy that one.
I disagree with this. I'm a "new" rider- new in that I wrode a dirt bike a couple of times as a teen, but that's it, and nothing since. I bought a Street Bob this spring and I love it. Fists in the wind, man! I have an M1 license in Ontario (which is a learners permit)

Yes, it's a lot of bike, but it just takes getting used to. I didn't want to buy a bike I'd outgrow in one season. The Street Bob is a good size for me (5"10) I've logged around a 100km this weekend (my first weekend out). Yes, I was a little nervous... and YES, IT WAS AWESOME.

I looked at both the Low Rider and the Street Bob, btw. The Bob was the perfect fit for me. It's personal. You go and get the bike you want

Old 04-30-2006, 07:05 PM
IlikeHummers
Stage III

Thanks for the responses everyone. I didn't intend on this being a low rider vs. bob thread so much as I just wanted to know if either bike would suitable for a beginner. I'm a beginner as in I've only messed around on a crotch rocket twice. I do plan on taking the HD rider's edge course before I make any purchases, though. I was looking at a night train but at 5'8 I found the entire soft tail line to be a little too big for my frame. I fit perfectly on the low rider and street bob, though. I was also looking at the V-Rod but am really interested in something more traditional HD.

Old 04-30-2006, 07:20 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man...I tend to agree with the folks that are telling you to go with the dyna right away. You can always borrow a bike...or buy a used piece of crap to practice on. But to be perfectly honest...it takes almost no time to get yourself going once you've learned how to ride...especially if you take a course. My first bike was a metric...and to this day, I regret not just going out and buying the harley right off the bat. The only good thing about it is I have a new harley now But seriously...the MSF/riders edge courses are great. And if you're relatively coordinated, and you have street smarts (as far as driving is concerned) you'll be fine. The bigger risk to a new rider is getting into an accident..and that could happen whether you're on a harley or not. Just get the bike you want, and take it really easy for the first couple weeks/months. The harleys are heavy bikes, and might take a little getting used to, but nothing you can't handle.
Go for it...and enjoy. Ride safe!

Todd

Old 04-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Pauly
Advanced

I would echo the sentiments above. Get yourself an inexpensive used bike for the first one. Something you can buy without getting into a loan situation. Honda, Kawi, whatever. The reason I say this is, actually riding a bike is very different from watching someone ride bike. Sometimes people get a bike, learn to ride and don't like it.

If you decide it's not for you, with an inexpensive bike, you're not going to lose your shirt when you try to sell it. Bikes are like cars. As soon as the dealer sees its tail lights the value drops.

If you decide riding is for you.... Go Low Rider! Street Bob sounds like that grubby fu<ker beggin' for money outside the party store.

Quick Reply: Low Rider or Streetbob