Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of installing apes, help me out!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:12 PM
jrsmith_80
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of installing apes, help me out!!

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately about installind ape on my 07 LR. My question is, would it be better to buy the bars, cables, etc and install them myself or buy a kit from Hill Country Custom Cycles that is already wired and comes with everything ready to install. All I would have to do is slap on the bars hook up the cables and go, i know its not really quite that simple but you get my point. If I just get the bars and do it all myself what do you do about lengthening the electrical wires, is there a kit or do you cut and splice.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:24 PM
BOOGIE
Cruiser

Never used the pre wiried set-up, but runnin them from scratch (soldering,pulling, heat shrink etc.) sucked. But then again my apes are squared off and making that corner was rough.

If you get some positive feed back on the pre-wired, that's how I'd go!!! Good luck, and post pics when your done.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:40 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i cut and soldered every wire....it sucked...

Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Smiley51
Road Captain

I used Hill country when I did the apes and the small amount more they charge is worth it. They use pro motion cables and Barnett clutch cable. I priced everything out buying it myself and it was really close. When I did the drag bars I just extended the wires myself.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
reded
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the Novello extensions and it still wasn't any picnic.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Goddahavit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut and spliced the wires(3 times) it want bad, i personally wouldn't buy the novello extensions, but i already had the wire, solder and iron.

I wish id have done it from the beginning, instead of wasting my time taking apart the connectors and bending the pins.

as far as cables go cant help, been too cheap to buy any yet.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 PM
lowridernj
Intermediate

intsalled Wild 1 mini apes on my 2008 lowrider, used novello extensions and got the cables cheaper than having a kit. i did do alot of shopping around, maybe if you count my time spent shopping it probably cost the same but i find that part of the fun. had no problem soldering heat shrinking or removing pins, manaul was extremely helpful. also relocated indicator lights, relocated turn signals, changed headlight and shortened storks on rear turn sigs. moving turn sigs and the1 1/4" bars internal wiring was a breeze. started on Saturday morning and completed the next afternoon. if you decide to do it yourself just take your time chart all your wires get some beer and have fun.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of installing apes, help me out!!-012.jpg   Thinking of installing apes, help me out!!-014.jpg   Thinking of installing apes, help me out!!-011.jpg  
Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really isn't that difficult to do it yourself. I bought the wire extensions that don't require soldering, just plug and heat shrink. It doesn't take very long, maybe a few hrs if you've never done anything like it before.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
A-10 KChawg
Tourer

Mine aren't that high so I didn't have to get new wires. However, I disassembled the plug and pulled the wires through. Not hard at all.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:06 AM
kdawgmfic
Banned

I just put a set of 16" wild 1 chubby's from HCC on my 08' FXDC. Very nice set up. I've got the cable lengths if you want them.

Quick Reply: Thinking of installing apes, help me out!!