Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break-In

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Breaking in a motor

When I break in a motor I alternate between short bursts of acceleration and deceleration. I never run down the highway at a steady speed. Up and down on the motor will also cause oil to lucubrate the cylinder also. Today's motors have improved metal casting and machining technologies which are now used, The problem of tight motor in new motorcycle are non existent. A manufacturing mistake causing a tight clearance is an extremely rare occurrence these days. But, if there is something wrong with the engine, no amount of gentle running will fix the problem. Also change the oil after 500 miles to remove any metal from break-in That's just my two cent

Old 03-25-2009, 08:04 PM
redrubicon2004
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm interesting thread.

I just got done assembling my engine on Tuesday. I started it up for the first time and let it warm up then shut it down. Once it cooled off I started it up and took it for a short 5 min ride around the block. I didnt lug it, but I didnt rip on it either. I just rode it like normal. Once I got back. I loaded it onto a trailer and took it to get it dyno tuned.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Take it about 5mph faster per shift point than it says in the owners manual, open it up every now and again and change oil w/filter at 200, 500 and at 1000 change to synthetic.

.... and don't "ride it like you stole it".. for one that phrase is way overused... unless you have unlimited wealth... and even then, ride it like a Harley... don't disrespect the bike.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I find surprising is that not one reply mentioned rpm's. I usually do shift at a higher speed than the manual suggests because it "feels" right.

Looks like I'll just change my oil this weekend and ride it like it's mine.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 Questions.....

1) Is it really a problem if I don't change the oil after 100 miles? I am at about 450 now, and plan on changing my oil in 2 weeks when my pipes get swapped, so will maybe be at about 600 - 650 miles. Then I will get it done again on my 1000 mile service. Anyone have any opinions on this?

2) This may just be someopne talking out lof his ***, but I thought I mighht pose it to some that may have some breakin experience and knowledge. Someone told me that with ANY motorcycle, that break-in procedures should be followed for the first 2000 miles. To me, this sounds a bit excessive (as it did to my dealer shop). This is coming from someone that didn't know that he could jump start a bike without jumper cables and thinks that since he has been riding for less than 1 year and owns a shop manual, that he is a master mechanic, so maybe I shouldn't pay him much mind, but I thought I would pose the question here anyway...

Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

HD are quite funny this way. I personally shift when it feels right too, without a tach, which for some riiculous reason, HD decided that the only Dyna that should have a tach is the Low Rider... Why? Who knows... Either way, absolutely no way to determine accurately what the engine RPMs are without a tach. Yet the dealers and the manuals tell you what RPMs not to exceed....

Originally Posted by DGDyna
What I find surprising is that not one reply mentioned rpm's. I usually do shift at a higher speed than the manual suggests because it "feels" right.

Looks like I'll just change my oil this weekend and ride it like it's mine.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I started a thread like this one a year ago!One guy told me " Ride it like you stole it!!" I'll never forget that one LOL! For the first 50 miles pretend your grandmother is on the back with you (unless you hate your grandma in that case ride like your dog is on there with you!) Then as long as you don't over or under rev , and don't drone it out at steady speed you will be fine!

Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

2 Questions.....

1) Is it really a problem if I don't change the oil after 100 miles? I am at about 450 now, and plan on changing my oil in 2 weeks when my pipes get swapped, so will maybe be at about 600 - 650 miles. Then I will get it done again on my 1000 mile service. Anyone have any opinions on this?

2) This may just be someopne talking out lof his ***, but I thought I mighht pose it to some that may have some breakin experience and knowledge. Someone told me that with ANY motorcycle, that break-in procedures should be followed for the first 2000 miles. To me, this sounds a bit excessive (as it did to my dealer shop). This is coming from someone that didn't know that he could jump start a bike without jumper cables and thinks that since he has been riding for less than 1 year and owns a shop manual, that he is a master mechanic, so maybe I shouldn't pay him much mind, but I thought I would pose the question here anyway...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Default Break In (revisited)

I know that this subject has been visited and revisited several times on this forum, but I just had 2 queries:

1) Is it really a problem if I don't change the oil after 100 miles? I am at about 450 now, and plan on changing my oil in 2 weeks when my pipes get swapped, so will maybe be at about 600 - 650 miles. Then I will get it done again on my 1000 mile service. I know all about the metal shavings that tend to collect mostly in the oil filter at first and later in the oil, but not sure how long before this can cause any real damage since all dealers around here insist that there is no purpose to changing the oil any sooner than on the 1000 service. Anyone have any opinions on this?

2) This may just be someone talking out lof his ***, but I thought I mighht pose it to some that may have some breakin experience and knowledge. Someone told me that with ANY motorcycle, that break-in procedures should be followed for the first 2000 miles. To me, this sounds a bit excessive (as it did to my dealer shop). This is coming from someone that didn't know that he could jump start a bike without jumper cables and thinks that since he has been riding for less than 1 year and owns a shop manual, that he is a master mechanic, so maybe I shouldn't pay him much mind, but I thought I would pose the question here anyway...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Motosurf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1.) I concur

2.) Follow the manufacturers break in schedule, BUT, focus on HEAT cycles, riding the bike and running the engine get up to operating temperature, then ride it for 50-100 miles at varying RPMs then let the bike cool completely before riding it again.

06 Denim FXDBI

Quick Reply: Break-In