Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Pros - read before using them

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 AM
HAV0C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear,When i saw a chrome pro's thread...I warned anyone using them.We have been down that road before. There works SUCKS! all the time and money we put into out hareley's bad chrome stick out and looks like ****!!
Try brownsplating.com ive been using them for the last 20 yrs..Just like powercoating sumax is prob the best out there.
good luck

Last edited by HAV0C; 03-25-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
red devil
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HAV0C
Sorry to hear,When i saw a chrome pro's thread...I warned anyone using them.We have been down that road before. There works SUCKS! all the time and money we put into out hareley's bad chrome stick out and looks like ****!!
Try brownsplating.com ive been using them for the last 20 yrs..Just like powercoating sumax is prob the best out there.
good luck
+1 on browns! I sent them my exhaust bracket & triple trees over the winter and the quality is top notch! I was told 2-3 weeks turnaround and it took about 3 weeks. I live in PA and there are a few chromers in PA, but none that came recommended. Browns came highly recommended by local indys & dealers and that made my mind up. There outtta Kentucky and have a long history in chroming motorcycle parts. Sorry to hear about all the problems your going through with these wheels. I wonder what these company's think when they do this kinda stuff to their customers? I bet you won't be using them again!

Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 AM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Send him the url on this thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...sing-them.html and tell him that none of us wil;l ever buy there unless he refunds you the extra money.

Personally, I'd cancel the order. Like a bad movie 1/2 way through... it AIN'T GONNA GET any better!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Topspin

Personally, I'd cancel the order. Like a bad movie 1/2 way through... it AIN'T GONNA GET any better!
Hard to cancel an order when it has already been done, paid for, and shipped back.

I did put out a thread asking about chrome pros before I contracted them to do these wheels. Unfortunately, at that time, the only negative feedback I received about them was that they do a great job on wheels but not so great on other parts. So I went with them. My indy was a little in doubt about them solely based on what I told them the cost was going to be. But he never had any personal experience with them. He mentioned he had a couple of chrome shops that he works with regularly but they wouldn't do these rims that cheap and he never tried to talk me out of using CP. I think he was curious to see how these would come back looking at that price.

As I said, I think they are still going to look pretty good for the money. But the sloppy little blems, on top of the overcharging, along with delaying my order because of supposed QA rework is what has me pissed.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How'd things turn out? Was considering buying Chromepro wheels off ebay....

Last edited by Twinrider; 05-21-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twinrider
How'd things turn out? Was considering buying Chromepro wheels off ebay....
If you buy the exchanges off of ebay, at least you know what you are paying up front, so I wouldn't discourage you from doing that.

How it turned out is that I disputed the charge with my credit card company and they basically did nothing for me other than to set a timeframe on the dispute and when they didn't get any response from CP as far as resolution to the dispute, they just reinstated the charge for the full amount.

I'm happy with the wheels and the quality of work. The couple of little blemishes my indy found on the wheels cannot even be found with the wheels on the bike. I washed the wheels yesterday for the first time since I put them on the bike. So, it's very nice from the perspective that they won't require cleaning as often as the spokes did and aren't anywhere near as difficult to clean.

My only complaints are that they took twice as long as they said they would and then charged me more than the agreed amount. I'll take this as a learning experience though. They don't ask for payment or even a credit card number until work is complete and they give no written quote/estimate up front, it is basically just verbal. From now on, before I give a credit card number on something like this, I'll require a "bill" detailing what I'll be charged.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the info and glad you're happy with the wheels. Always good to get prices in writing, that's for sure. It's the exchange I was considering and the main reason is to make the wheels easier to clean. Bare aluminum is a pita, can't believe HD doesn't clear-coat them like everyone else...

Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with them as far time. I was told 3 weeks and it was a month and a half. When i called to find out what was going on i was told because i live in in illinois and it was december whats the big deal because i couldnt ride the bike anyway. I told them it shouldnt matter. I was then told they were cleaning there tanks it was the end of the year.then got the rims and there were spots on them were they didnt sand good. But because of the hassle i just had them put on my bike. They have a two year warrenty and last fall i noticed my front rim was starting to pit i called them and was told thats pretty good they lasted that long. So i send the front rim down there and i get a call asking me what was wrong with the rim and i told him about the pitting and he said that the rim looked good. He said he could sell it the way it was. I told him if its that good go ahead and sell it and send me a new one. Which they did. But i was just the hassle of having to deal with this. Never again. My rims were for a street glide. I will spend the money and buy good rims than go through that again.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:57 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

They aren't short on excuses down there. When I first sent them in, they never called me like they were supposed to to confirm receipt and agree on the order. I knew the wheels had arrived via ups tracking. After a couple of days I called and the 3 week timeframe I was originally quoted immediately shifted to 4 right then and there. Then 4 came and went so I called again. I was told that the rear wheel didn't come out like they hoped so they were going to strip it and do it again. You'd think if they bothered to do that, they would get rid of any blemish possible but there was still one that my indy found when the wheels came back. It's not something that will get worse and it's absolutely impossible to even find it with the wheel installed on the bike - but that's not the point.

I don't think you get the same hassles when you buy the exchanges. You pay upfront and as soon as (supposedly) they receive your stock wheels, they ship the chromed exchanges to you. But they didn't have my wheels in stock when I called and offered to chrome my actual wheels cheaper than I could have bought exchanges for anyway. I thought it was a cool deal at first but things don't always end up like they should.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

I know this does not matter, but I used "chrome that hog" for my rear sprocket. They were kind of asses on the phone because i was doing an exchange process an basically they were not making any cash money off the deal.
The service was fast with reasonable shipping. the chrome job was really nice. it does have a couple of grain size imperfections, but I expected that.
If I were you, I would have my indy write up the problems he found, take pictures, and protest the entire deal with my credit card company. He guy will offer to redo the wheels, just say your do not trust him any longer. I do not think you will get your money back, but it will make life a pain in the *** for him.

Quick Reply: Chrome Pros - read before using them