Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to? Need to trailer bike to indy

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to? Need to trailer bike to indy

Okay, first off, I did a search and get more garbage than useful info. So, I'm taking the easy way out. If that bugs you, feel free to hit the "back" button.

I called my indy back today about getting my new rims installed, service done, and inspection. He was in a better mood than 8 days ago but he's still too busy to commit a specific day to getting my work done. Instead, he suggests bringing it over and leaving it a couple of days. Easier said than done for me since he's in another town over an hour away. I may be able to arrange a pickup and ride back but them I'm back to depending on the weather for both the ride over there and the ride back and having to coordinate that with someone else's schedule. So, my best option is to use my trailer. I've got one of those garden variety, black, steel, single axle, open trailers with a wooden slat bed in it. I have a wheel chock that I bought from that cheap tool place (can't remember the name) that I've never mounted to anything but should be able to put in the trailer. Of course, I want to strap the bike down too.

Any suggestions on strapping the bike to the trailer as far as points to strap to on the bike and how much to compress the front forks?

Also, my pickup is pretty high up in the rear and it pulls the trailer at an angle. I think I can get a lowering hitch at wally-world that will help but may not make it perfectly level. Is this a huge concern or should I be okay as long as I strap it good and use a chock?

Old 03-24-2009, 02:46 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I pulled mine back on a similiar trailer when I bought it since I couldnt drive both my truck and bike back from over a hour away.

Mine also had the trailer tilted up and it pulled fine. If got going to fast it would fishtail some but if ran the speed limit it did fine.

I didnt have a chock so we strapped the front wheel to the rail so it couldnt go side to side. I strapped around the forks at the triple trees and around the shocks on the back. We left the Jiffy stand down and when we pulled it down we let it lean to the jiffy stand side some. We compressed the shocks enough the bike didnt move much but could still absorb some impact.

Worked fine for me the bike didnt move.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as the trailers rated for the weight you'll be fine. Since its yours, install some eyelets in convenient places. After about ten minutes of driving stop and recheck the tiedowns. Good luck.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:59 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

cool man... get that sucker up the the front of the trailer... get the wheel in the front chuck... once it is in there, strap the kick stand side first, go around the tree and tube and take that to the front corner, do the same on the other side... this will stand the bike upright... dont need to kill it on the straps, if you over compress the forks you will puff your seals... after you have that locked in. be sure you bike is in gear and you are ready to go... i use 3 straps when the bike is by itself and 4 when there are several bikes on the trialer with it... for the 3rd, run from the corner of the back of the trailer, though your wheel, loop the line round itself and go to the other corner... that will keep it from spinning and you are good to go!
here are some pics of some bikes i have strapped down on the trailer if that helps!
i trailer ALOT when picking up customer rides and even moving my buddys scoots around. if you need anything hit me up 417-425-9406

(dad likes to run his on the bars... I dont like that cause they can move)

custom powder on the wheels so i dont run them though on the rocket

Old 03-24-2009, 03:00 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pulled mine 1500 mi with a good trailer..a couple of tips,let alittle air out of the front tire,they say handle bars arent a good tie down,but I couldnt get to my triple tree{cover} so I got a couple of soft ties and I double tied down 4 sets..oh yeah and only compress front forks half way,you should be fine..I didnt tie my rear down and it didnt move once

Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ALSO!!!! NEVER TRAILER WITH A COVER!!!!!!!! it turns into sand paper in the wind and will scratch the **** out of your scoot man... my uncle got to bike week and his wife actually began to cry when he uncovered his bike... it was scratched to SHIZ! i have talked to over 10 people that this has happened to... harley covers, trailer covers, and el cheepo covers... you can always wash a bike... repainting is a bit more envolved

Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What I did is I wraped my bike in 5 blankets then the cover..all was good

Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JRK5892
ALSO!!!! NEVER TRAILER WITH A COVER!!!!!!!! it turns into sand paper in the wind and will scratch the **** out of your scoot man... my uncle got to bike week and his wife actually began to cry when he uncovered his bike... it was scratched to SHIZ! i have talked to over 10 people that this has happened to... harley covers, trailer covers, and el cheepo covers... you can always wash a bike... repainting is a bit more envolved
And its not like it isn't in the wind when you are you know, riding it....

Old 03-24-2009, 03:49 PM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, Joe (heh)

Thats a lot of bikes on that trailer

Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM
JRK5892
Banned

ha ha ha ya man, tight fit! we load up every year and head down to Marco Island FL... i got a spot down there... we relax and then ride to the keys to part... then come back though aligator alley... not going this year as i am sucking up all my vacation time wiht the honeymoon but next year we ahve 23 bikes sloted to go as of now... i am sure that will grow! the more people we get the crazier the houses we rent (i am not haveing all us fools stat in my 2 bedroom condo)
good time though... the whole little town knows us when we roll though. everyone is super cool! your more than welcome to join us... just be ready to party !

Quick Reply: How to? Need to trailer bike to indy