Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 FXDL Electrics Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Tecelote
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 FXDL Electrics Question

Anyone know where I can find a downloadable schematic for the 2000 Low Rider electrics? Got a weird issue that started yesterday. Bike got hard to start after a bit of riding then wouldn't start at all, even after riding. Guessing it could be a loose battery cable or other loose wire somewhere that's not letting the alternator/generator to recharge the battery while the bike's actually running. It'd be easier for me to track that down with some kind of schematic to look at instead of just digging into it. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:08 PM
hillbilly deluxe
Cruiser

Before i bought my manual,i searched,came up with nothing,Harley get real uptight about people using their stuff for free.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Go to the do your self help section here on HDF, then to electrical and look up the sections on charging. 1) if you on the original battery it's expiring on you, 2) with a good multimeter check the voltage going to the battery at 2000 rpm is it at 14.2v ?, 3) you may still have to do a charging diagnostics refering to the DIY part. The carb bikes between 99-2005 have a 2 phase stator system that is just keeping up with the battery requirements.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:30 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tecelote
Anyone know where I can find a downloadable schematic for the 2000 Low Rider electrics? Got a weird issue that started yesterday. Bike got hard to start after a bit of riding then wouldn't start at all, even after riding. Guessing it could be a loose battery cable or other loose wire somewhere that's not letting the alternator/generator to recharge the battery while the bike's actually running. It'd be easier for me to track that down with some kind of schematic to look at instead of just digging into it. Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Would it be in the shop manual? I thought I saw some schematics in there? I just read something in one of the other threads the other day that they battery cables do come loose...I had it happened to me on my 2000 one time (luckily I had tools with me). I check them regularly now.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Tecelote
Novice

Thanks for your responses. After gettin' a manual (From Borders for roughly 1/2 the cost of gettin' it at the shop), it's been gently determined that it's not the connections but more likely the battery. Called in the use of my extended service warranty & it's gettin' looked at today. Thanks again for your help.