Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery and Battery Cover HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:06 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Battery and Battery Cover HELP!!!!!

Battery died today, luckily close to home. I have my manual out, disconnected positive, unscrewed a bolt that holds the tray carriage.......
Now I am at the part where it says "carefully tilt battery out and remove cover"

Yea Right!!!
THIS THING WONT BUDGE

Anyone know what I am missing? I cant find any more bolts to remove.
I need to get this thing out tonight.

BTW..How many volts does a fully charged battery put out?
I am reading 20

Old 03-22-2009, 07:14 PM
LOUDAZZFATBOB
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20??? I have 13.8!! Something isn't right

Old 03-22-2009, 07:25 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Facing the battery, at the left upper corner there are two bolts. the head of one is facing you, directly above it is another that allows the battery tray to drop and be pulled out a little. It's too late now but disconnecting the negative first will result in less spark. Hook up positive first then negative. If you have 20v. then your regulator has over charged your battery and basically cooked it. A normall voltge will be 12.8 -13.2v

Old 03-22-2009, 07:33 PM
RKLeo
Road Master

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
Facing the battery, at the left upper corner there are two bolts. the head of one is facing you, directly above it is another that allows the battery tray to drop and be pulled out a little. It's too late now but disconnecting the negative first will result in less spark. Hook up positive first then negative. If you have 20v. then your regulator has over charged your battery and basically cooked it. A normall voltge will be 12.8 -13.2v

OK..NEVER MIND.... My Clymer Manual has a mistake. No mention of the second bolt. I should have used my instincts.

So having too much voltage will cause the starter to just clickety click click?? What should I do now?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

have you gone through all your battery connections make sure they are tight? Pull your electrical panel cover on the left side of the bike, get to the main circuit breaker and checkif your connectors are clean and free of corrosion. If everything there is good I'd take the battery to a auto parts or good bike shop to do a load test on the battery. You might be needing a new battery. Go to the do it yourself help forum, to electrical and look at the stator test procedures.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 PM
70mach1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wires

Just something I,d suggest to check .
On my sportster I had there was a wire that went from the voltage regulator under the bike and in to the stator .
I had some battery trouble also and the wire was the culprit .
The wire had a push in connection that was very corroded .
I washed the bike a lot and the conection got corroded , so I clean the turminal and applied some electrical silicone to keep it from getting corroded again ,

Old 03-22-2009, 08:18 PM
RKLeo
Road Master

OK....My battery reads 26 volts not running and 29 volts running. My lights are very bright and I tapped on the starter and it started. I shut it off and started it about 10 times.
Now I am concerned about the starter and why is my battery reading 29 volts!!!!
This deserves a new thread.
Should I evacuate the garage????
Is this thing going to explode??

Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

The regulator should regulate high end to 14.5v, if you have 29v going to the battery your regulator is malfunctioning. I'd get another regulator and battery but thats just me. Take the old battery out of the bike just in case something lets go within the case.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah, those voltage readings are way too high. Normally shouldn't have more than 14.5v or so when the bike is running. I'd definitely look into the regulator.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
RKLeo
Road Master

OK........
You guys wont believe this, my voltmeter is trashed. I used a different meter and came up with 13 volts. Then I had a friend show up with another meter and he was reading 13.5

Case dismissed.

I will tend to my starter problem in another thread if necessary. Thanks for all the help. My bike has started flawlessly since tapping on the starter. I cleaned all connections and fuses. I wonder if a new starter is in my future. I think mine would not engage until I tapped it. Just made a fast clicking sound. I hope I didnt damage it while trying it.

Quick Reply: Battery and Battery Cover HELP!!!!!