Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynos for Dynas

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

D&D Fatcat, Heavy Breather, SERT. I personally think the HP is a little low, so I may find a new tuner.

Last edited by mud; 03-30-2009 at 10:13 AM. Reason: link to oversize image
Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
rambobob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding to the list.

Attached Thumbnails Dynos for Dynas-skully-27s-20dyno-1-.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 AM
mud
muderator
Received 9,091 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,293 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Well, I had the SERT installed with a dyno tune today, and I'm not impressed with both the numbers and the bike...the a/f ratio looks ok but it's popping and backfiring worse than ever. The tuner spent just a little over an hour with the bike, including a test ride afterwards. I thought he was gonna continue with the tuning, but he was done.

I was charged for 2.6 hrs @ $95.00 per hour...they were done with the bike in an hour and a half.

I had changed to the round multi fit SE backing plate and a Zippers filter, but I'm thinkin' now I may go back to the '08-'09 SE Dyna backing plate per my sig pic with a K&N filter for it. I had very little popping with that set up...

I've said it before, a good mechanic/tuner is worth their weight in gold. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one for the bike.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
Well, I had the SERT installed with a dyno tune today, and I'm not impressed with both the numbers and the bike...the a/f ratio looks ok but it's popping and backfiring worse than ever. The tuner spent just a little over an hour with the bike, including a test ride afterwards. I thought he was gonna continue with the tuning, but he was done.

I was charged for 2.6 hrs @ $95.00 per hour...they were done with the bike in an hour and a half.

I had changed to the round multi fit SE backing plate and a Zippers filter, but I'm thinkin' now I may go back to the '08-'09 SE Dyna backing plate per my sig pic with a K&N filter for it. I had very little popping with that set up...

I've said it before, a good mechanic/tuner is worth their weight in gold. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one for the bike.
Not impressed? You haven't really changed it much from stock, maybe a little more intake breather. Those pipes are not torque producers, unless I am badly mistaken. My sig has Harley's published torque and HP #'s for a stock 96" Twin cam. On page 1 of the thread a Harley "published" stock 96 dyno curve.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Being a dyno tuner, it troubles me to see some of these dyno sheets and to see what other tuners are doing to there customers. mainly the smoothing. There are more than 1 unit of measure used to measure H.P. And I see 2 differn't ones being used on these printouts. STD smoothing and SAE smoothing (it'll show you on your printout, usually at the top). In the U.S. we use SAE, STD is used in Europe and gives higher numbers. Tuners in the states that use STD are using it for 1 of 2 reason, reason 1 would be that they just don't know any better, or reason 2 would be that they are trying to pump out higher #'s to make them look better. If they give you a print out that is in SAE they are basically lying to you. At 100 H.P. in STD you are closer to 97 in SAE.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 AM
tattoofreaksb
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleytuner
Being a dyno tuner, it troubles me to see some of these dyno sheets and to see what other tuners are doing to there customers. mainly the smoothing. There are more than 1 unit of measure used to measure H.P. And I see 2 differn't ones being used on these printouts. STD smoothing and SAE smoothing (it'll show you on your printout, usually at the top). In the U.S. we use SAE, STD is used in Europe and gives higher numbers. Tuners in the states that use STD are using it for 1 of 2 reason, reason 1 would be that they just don't know any better, or reason 2 would be that they are trying to pump out higher #'s to make them look better. If they give you a print out that is in SAE they are basically lying to you. At 100 H.P. in STD you are closer to 97 in SAE.

I couldn't agree with you more. Make sure that it's a SAE that they give you. Here's mine with V&H Big Radius, BCT baffles, RSD A/C, PCIII. My AFR is not on there but it's pretty flat straigt across. I just installed HQ500 cams & we got about 80% done tuning & then my rocker box cover developed a leak so we called it a day. Hoping to finish everything today & I'll post another chart of before & after.

Attached Thumbnails Dynos for Dynas-dyno1.jpg   Dynos for Dynas-dyno2.jpg  
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Centerline
Not impressed? You haven't really changed it much from stock, maybe a little more intake breather. Those pipes are not torque producers, unless I am badly mistaken. My sig has Harley's published torque and HP #'s for a stock 96" Twin cam. On page 1 of the thread a Harley "published" stock 96 dyno curve.
I know dynos vary, but compared to other stage 1 bikes the numbers seem a bit low. What really bothers me is the tuner spent an hour on the dyno when most guys on here said their tuner spent 2-3 hours dialing it in.

I have horrible popping and backfiring too. Much worse than prior to changing to the round stage 1 backing plate and filter.

Shouldn't proper dyno tuning eliminate most of the popping?

Old 04-02-2009, 08:11 AM
tattoofreaksb
Tourer

Sounds like to me you need to find a new tuner.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:08 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tattoofreaksb
Sounds like to me you need to find a new tuner.
Yea, the numbers don't really bother me as much as the excessive popping/backfiring with the multi fit SE round backing plate. I "assumed" that the dyno tuning would have smoothed that out...what bothers me is the fact I was charged for 2.6 hrs when the actual time in the dyno booth was not more than one hour and the bike is popping (imo) excessively.

I'm not much of a wrench turner, but I still think there might be an air leak in the multi fit gasket/backing plate (which I mentioned at the dealer), since I didn't have all that popping going on with the other SE backing plate thats designed for the '08-'09 Dyna.

I spent over $700.00 at this dealer for the Zippers filter, SERT and dyno tuning and imo, the popping/backfiring shouldn't be happening.....

Rant over.................

Quick Reply: Dynos for Dynas