Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all those who use "Simple Green"...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yoseppi
Maybe you have too high of expectation from it?

It is amazing for cutting simple dirt and grime stains and such. But pathetic for heavily greased areas.

On simple things like light grime and dirt and stains it is wonderful. For anything more, get an industrial degreaser.

But for common things that re not caked in years of grime, you can't beat simple green for daily use on bikes and cars.
See, I have found that 409 works much better. Not to mention other products. Shout stain remover is amazing compared to simple green. I bought the stuff years ago to use in cleaning my auto, never bought again. Also got some foam simple green to see if that might work on the bike(brake dust), again, just did a poor job over other products.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Howards End
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
Simple Green is said to be corrosive to Aluminum, so they came out with this: http://industrial.simplegreen.com/in...ts_extreme.php

This Simple Green you's mention, I assume it's for use on the rims and tires only as a degreaser, correct? I was instructed by another member here who does detailing professionally to use only Chemical Guy's citriswash and gloss: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Premium_..._p/cws_301.htm, for washing the entire bike. I was told you have to be very careful on what you use on aluminum, it will stain them, permanently.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Roadkingfatboy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigVtwin88
I used a 3:1 mix on my engine and mags, spray it on let it soak, rinse it off. Works good for me. I have a Mr. Clean Autodry kit that I use after the sg to wash the whole bike. That thing works awesome. Just soap it down, hit it with sponge, rinse it off with the filter and ur done. No spots, no hand drying. I usually jump on and run down the road to blow the water out of the nooks and crannies.
Try using your trusty ole leafblower as a quick dry and blowing water out of nooks and crannies.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:17 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Howards End
This Simple Green you's mention, I assume it's for use on the rims and tires only as a degreaser, correct? I was instructed by another member here who does detailing professionally to use only Chemical Guy's citriswash and gloss: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Premium_..._p/cws_301.htm, for washing the entire bike. I was told you have to be very careful on what you use on aluminum, it will stain them, permanently.
I haven't had any problems with Simple Green staining bare aluminum, but I would advise that what ever you use, only use it on a cold engine. The new formulated Extreme Simple Green I haven't used yet , but I plan on getting for future use, mainly because it is used and monitored on aircraft.

I've been using the regular Simple Green on the rims, spokes, hubs, brakes, and engine, Bleach White on the tires. Then rinse and wash the whole bike with Z-7 Show Car Wash followed by a rinse and a leaf blower, then CD2 Engine Detailer on the black portion of the engine, Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal on the paint and chrome, and Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss on the sidewalls.

The "Z" products above are from Zaino, I've been using Zaino for the past nine years with excellent results. Here's some photos from Zaino's customers.
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Old 03-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Howards End
Novice

[QUOTE=WS6 Formula;4744114]I haven't had any problems with Simple Green staining bare aluminum, but I would advise that what ever you use, only use it on a cold engine. The new formulated Extreme Simple Green I haven't used yet , but I plan on getting for future use, mainly because it is used and monitored on aircraft.

I've been using the regular Simple Green on the rims, spokes, hubs, brakes, and engine, Bleach White on the tires. Then rinse and wash the whole bike with Z-7 Show Car Wash followed by a rinse and a leaf blower, then CD2 Engine Detailer on the black portion of the engine, Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal on the paint and chrome, and Z-16 Perfect Tire Gloss on the sidewalls.

The "Z" products above are from Zaino, I've been using Zaino for the past nine years with excellent results. Here's some photos from Zaino's customers.

As I stated earlier, if you must, I would only suggest using Simple Green on the rims and tires. I personally wouldn't use it at all, due to the risk of it splashing up on the painted fenders. As far as the engine, I never wash a hot engine and or bike(sitting in the sun). I was also told that Wal-Mart's own brand of car wash and wax concentrate and a sheep skin mitt are all you need to wash your bike. I was told there is no need for the fancy expensive stuff. But I must say, the citris wash I mention does a fantastic job on any cleaning you will need for your bike. That Bleach White stuff I stay the hell away from. That crap has damaged my friends paint jobs in the past. If it works for you then use it, just be very careful of the caustic stuff. You might want to reconsider that leaf blower, they tend to suck up then blow out sand from regular use. I would suggest getting a Metro Air Force motorcycle dryer: http://www.metrovacworld.com/Shoppin...roduct_id=AFMD. It's very important to know here word of mouth, what's good and what's not.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Shout! on my engine and wheels too. I think it works better than simple green. I have used simple green too, just rinse thoroughly although I have never had a problem with it. S100 is good too, just costs a bit more. I never use the spray on my tins, I just dry tins and wax them or pledge them. I ahve tons of cleaning products and still think Shout! kicks most of their asses. Especially on whitewalls. I almost forgot to say that I dilute the simple green 50 50 or so.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
I haven't had any problems with Simple Green staining bare aluminum, but I would advise that what ever you use, only use it on a cold engine. The new formulated Extreme Simple Green I haven't used yet , but I plan on getting for future use, mainly because it is used and monitored on aircraft.

Originally Posted by Howards End
As I stated earlier, if you must, I would only suggest using Simple Green on the rims and tires. I personally wouldn't use it at all, due to the risk of it splashing up on the painted fenders. As far as the engine, I never wash a hot engine and or bike(sitting in the sun). I was also told that Wal-Mart's own brand of car wash and wax concentrate and a sheep skin mitt are all you need to wash your bike. I was told there is no need for the fancy expensive stuff. But I must say, the citris wash I mention does a fantastic job on any cleaning you will need for your bike. That Bleach White stuff I stay the hell away from. That crap has damaged my friends paint jobs in the past. If it works for you then use it, just be very careful of the caustic stuff. You might want to reconsider that leaf blower, they tend to suck up then blow out sand from regular use. I would suggest getting a Metro Air Force motorcycle dryer: www.metrovacworld.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=metrovac&product_id=AFMD. It's very important to know here word of mouth, what's good and what's not.
Here's some photos of my "experience" with Simple Green and the other products I mentioned above that I use on my "own" vehicles............But keep in mind that I don't wash or detail bikes and cars for a living.

19,000 miles Before

After, sprayed Simple Green on everything including painted fender wells, rinsed with tap water, used my non-sand blowing leaf blower to dry it off, applied CD2 Engine Detailer.

Before, new, stock.

After, nine years and a 100,000 miles, sprayed Simple Green on everything including painted fender wells and the paint under the hood on a regular basis. Didn't use any CD2 Engine Detailer here like above.

Z-7 Show Car Wash info:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Old 03-23-2009, 08:41 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Looks good WS6!

I have great results with Simple Green and the CD2 detailer also.

My other toy:
Name:  LT4_800_600.jpg
Views: 4798
Size:  110.5 KB

Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Howards End
Novice
Default Harley Line Of Cleaners?

Does anyone here use Harley's own line of cleaners? I never have but wonder if they are any good.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts