Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To all those who use "Simple Green"...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use simple green and never had a problem with it.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I never get all the positive comments on simple green. Everything I have ever used it on, has come out substandard. I found myself very disappointed with it's cleaning capabilities.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:17 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using simple green on all my bikes for many years. I've never had any problems with staining or causing any kind of damage to aluminium or any other part.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use to use SG on the spokes only. I now use Shout and it works betta them.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sg is great on break dust

Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you have too high of expectation from it?

It is amazing for cutting simple dirt and grime stains and such. But pathetic for heavily greased areas.

On simple things like light grime and dirt and stains it is wonderful. For anything more, get an industrial degreaser.

But for common things that re not caked in years of grime, you can't beat simple green for daily use on bikes and cars.

Originally Posted by rounder
I never get all the positive comments on simple green. Everything I have ever used it on, has come out substandard. I found myself very disappointed with it's cleaning capabilities.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
As long as you use common sense, the original Simple Green will be fine. Don't let it soak for any longer than needed, and be sure and rinse it all off well.

But it does look like the new Extreme Simple Green would be the better choice.

http://www.simplegreen.com/solutions...&search=Search

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green® on aluminum?
When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green® Cleaner/Degreaser, Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates, and Pro Series™ Simple Green® Automotive Cleaner have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

Simple Green has also developed break-through water based cleaners that are safe for use on metals, plastics, rubber and high tech alloys. Extreme Simple Green® Aircraft & Precision Cleaner and Simple Green® Pro HD are available on both the industrial and retail markets, respectively. These products were initially developed for the aircraft industry and extensive testing shows that they are safe and effective on a variety of metals and other sensitive surfaces even in the most extreme circumstances.

Simple Green® Stainless Steel One Step Cleaner & Polish is another option for cleaning polished aluminum. This product is designed for light duty metal cleaning and polishing.
Using common sense isn't going to prevent Simple Green from seeping into joints and crevices and causing corrosion, once it seeps in, it is going to be nearly impossible to rinse out. I rinse my bike off really good and noticed after removing parts I found corrosion under bolt heads and brackets. I did a little research and found out that Simple Green has been a big problem with aircraft, Simple Green was seeping under rivets and between aluminum joints causing corrosion. Simple Greens fix is a reformulated cleaner to prevent this from happening (Extreme Simple Green).

Safe Cleaner Formula
Simple Green is aware of aviation industry concerns about potential corrosion caused by Simple Green cleaner and developed a new formula--Extreme Simple Green--that prevents corrosion and cleans as well as the old green solution. The problem isn't that Simple Green is corrosive, but that if all of the soap isn't rinsed off, then some Simple Green caught in crevices between aluminum joints could create a dielectric and lead to corrosion. The old formula didn't meet aircraft cleaning specifications. The new Extreme formula eliminates the corrosion problem and also meets Boeing's cleaning spec, D6-17487 Revision P. Extreme Simple Green includes an anti-corrosion agent, prevents hydrogen embrittlement, and is safe to use for general cleaning and in pressure washers, parts washers, and dip tanks. Extreme Simple Green is biodegradeable and solvent-free. Simple Green, phone: 562-795-6000, www.simplegreen.com.

Introducing Extreme Simple Green Precision Equipment Cleaner®

Unique Non-Corrosive Chemistry Delivers Superior Cleaning and Materials-SafetyHuntington Harbour, CA – Simple Green is proud to announce the next generation in precision parts and materials cleaning - Extreme Simple Green® Precision Equipment Cleaner offers non-corrosive cleaning performance, ready biodegradability, low toxicity and easy disposal all in one product. Extreme Simple Green Precision Equipment Cleaner is perfect for cars, trucks, watercraft, aircraft, motorcycles, ATVs, RVs, aluminum trailers, parts and tools, engines, clear-coated rims, vehicle exteriors, and for maintenance and repair operations, parts washers, pressure washers, entry into oil-water separators, sumps and bilges. This advanced, non-corrosive formula removes brake dust, graphite, petroleum greases, coolants, transmission and radiator fluids, greasy soils, stubborn black streaks, tar and asphalt, metal working fluids, mud and clay, plant and animal oils, tree sap, bugs, bird droppings, and more.
“We’ve found no other cleaning product on the market that matches Extreme Simple Green’s cleaning performance,” states Bruce FaBrizio, the Founder and President of Sunshine Makers, Inc., the makers of Simple Green products. “For years, original Simple Green had been used for aircraft cleaning. However, the lack of meeting an aircraft cleaning spec was limiting its use in this industry. With Extreme Simple Green Precision Equipment Cleaner, we’ve given our customers a solution to this problem while meeting the highly effective cleaning standards of the entire Simple Green line of products. And it’s the perfect solution for cleaning much more than just aircraft – everything from cars, trucks and engines to RVs, boats and trailers.”
Extreme Simple Green gets its superior cleaning ability from a unique trio of ingredients. Two high performance surfactants and a new generation grease cutter/lifter combine to pull soil away from surfaces quickly and then keep it suspended so that it can be cleanly rinsed away. Extreme Simple Green’s speed of grease-cutting and its high capacity to hold grease, oil and soils in solution during cleaning and rinsing are the keys to its excellent cleaning ability. In addition, Extreme then has a quick-break ability to release grease and oil once it enters a oil-water separator, sump or clarifier.
Extreme Simple Green offers an excellent safety profile via low toxicity and non-flammable ingredients. In addition, Extreme Simple Green is readily biodegradable per OECD 301D and 302B testing. Because it acts as a quick break emulsifier, it can enter oil-water separators and clarifiers without disrupting the proper functioning of these common waste disposal systems. Extreme Simple Green contains no Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs), is not an RCRA waste in and of itself, and meets current VOC requirements when used according to label instructions. It is non-toxic (per OECD oral toxicity calc. method) and readily biodegradable (per OECD 301D & OECD 302B tests); non-hazardous, non-corrosive and clean-rinsing; fragrance- and color-free. Extreme Simple Green meets the following test specifications: Boeing D6-17487revP (April 2003): Exterior and General Cleaners ; Pratt & Whitney PWA 36604 Cleaning Agents on Engine Aircraft Materials at 1:5 dilution ; AMS 1526B Total Immersion Corrosion up to and including 1:13 dilution.
After a great deal of success in the aircraft industry and the realization that these high tech surfaces are also used in other industries, a cross-over into motor sports, garage and precision equipment cleaning is beginning to take shape. Extreme Simple Green is safe and effective for use on ATV’s, motorcycles, 4x4’s, boats, RV’s as well as aftermarket equipment and parts. The aluminum, high tech alloys, plastics and rubber used for both high end and stock motor sports equipment is safely and thoroughly cleaned.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:13 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I use simple green with Magic eraser on my white walls with outstanding results. I've never tried it on paint.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:36 AM
pockets2000
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

50% water 50% simple green - spray bike down liberally with mixture - wait 5 minutes (do not let simple green mixture dry on bike) hose down liberally with water and wash as normal. I always get comments about how clean my bike is. Simple green when used at least once a week pretty much takes the work out of keeping the scoot showroom clean. Lots and lots of water to rinse the simple green off is the key - but that is way better than lots and lots of elbow grease. And it keeps the dirt out of the little crevices on the bike.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:51 AM
bigVtwin88
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a 3:1 mix on my engine and mags, spray it on let it soak, rinse it off. Works good for me. I have a Mr. Clean Autodry kit that I use after the sg to wash the whole bike. That thing works awesome. Just soap it down, hit it with sponge, rinse it off with the filter and ur done. No spots, no hand drying. I usually jump on and run down the road to blow the water out of the nooks and crannies.

Quick Reply: To all those who use "Simple Green"...