Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 piston real Brembo

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009 | 10:55 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Great news.

Just an observation, when I installed mine, I followed their brake in procedures carefully...still, it took maybe 75-100 miles before they started working really great. I mention this only since you have had a tough time already, and didn't want you to be disappointed if initally they dont seem up to expectations.

I think you will be pretty pleased when it is all sorted out.

greg

Old 04-22-2009 | 05:40 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Good deal

Glad you got it sorted out. as stated your pads have to be beded in. This procedure coats the virgin rotor with new brake pad material. Your brakes work when brake material is rubbed against like brake material. A hint to anyone changing brake pads from one material to another and does not apply to new rotors.

Your rotor should have old brake pad material honed or removed off of the rotor before putting on a different material brake pad ie: sintered to organic.

Old 04-22-2009 | 06:11 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default new pads and rotors

thanks again guys......I'll be sure to put some miles on and bed the pads in before I post a review.

Old 04-25-2009 | 12:47 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default Brembo update

I now have about 50 miles on the new brakes, and they are a HUGE improvement over the crappy stock front brake. My only worry now is avoiding lockup in a panic situation. With the stock brakes there was no way I could ever lock up the front end. I'm also going to need to improve my front suspension to keep the tire in better contact with the pavement too......when I was bedding in the pads per Brembo I was not on the smoothest surface and wheel hop became a bit scary. When the tire returned to earth locked up I almost crapped my pants.

I'm almost finished with the stock Dunlops and I'm also thinking of a bigger, stickier tire to help me even more with the braking. Maybe an Avon 110? Suggestions, anyone?

All in all, even though I had some problems, I am satisfied with the results and with the way QTMI sent me a new bracket. The braking power I now have is very confidant inspiring, and I know I can stop quicker if needed. If it saves my *** just once, it will be more than worth it.

Old 04-26-2009 | 11:44 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Glad it all worked out.

I think are right re: the front suspension and tires.

I had the triple rate Works springs and the Intiminators installed before i installed the Brembo. I also have new Metzler ME880 tires. Not really sure how they compare to others, but use them on several other bikes and have always liked them.

It seems like the Brembo gets better and better, probably just me getting used to them

Old 04-26-2009 | 09:18 PM
blueglide88
Tourer

Originally Posted by gregbenner

Glad it all worked out.

I think are right re: the front suspension and tires.

I had the triple rate Works springs and the Intiminators installed before i installed the Brembo. I also have new Metzler ME880 tires. Not really sure how they compare to others, but use them on several other bikes and have always liked them.

It seems like the Brembo gets better and better, probably just me getting used to them
What do you like about the Metzlers ? What kind of mileage do you get out of them? I can't really say anything bad about the stock Dunlops....I have 11k and the rear is almost finished, but the front has a few thousand miles left on it. Decent mileage, and until I put on the Brembos, never felt like I needed anything stickier. As I am getting used to the Brembo and putting more mileage on it, I find I can modulate the brake better, so I can probably live with another Dunlop.

Old 04-27-2009 | 11:11 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

I sort of think all new tires are pretty good, kind of like comparing oil brands. The 880s seem to work fine in all conditions, and get good mileage. I don't really keep track of the miles since I have too many bikes, so its more of a feeling than fact. Also, I rarely see negative comments on them.

Originally Posted by blueglide88
What do you like about the Metzlers ? What kind of mileage do you get out of them?.

Old 04-27-2009 | 02:27 PM
chandler
|
Cruiser
Thumbs up

I went to the mountains on Saturday and although I try to ride smoothly, at times the “pace” got pretty damn lively. Anyway, as a testament to the Brembo brakes I just realized I never even thought about the front brake. It just did what it was meant to do. I did lock up the rear once because that thing has no feel. My SuperGlide rocks!!! :-)

Old 04-27-2009 | 07:26 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

GREAT POST!!!

You know how those T&D Makers are; a few "thousandths" out on clearance and they'd swear it was a few "hundredths" the other way.

I've been wanting to make this brake upgrade and really appreciate the information you guys have provided. I know that the 4 piston / 4 pad caliper and larger diameter rotor not only saves on unsprung weight but provides better modulation with the brake lever. That with a modification to the forks should give great brake performance. Also, an engine/frame stabilizer to correct the "twitchiness" the Dyna's have should make for a combination to wear out your pegs.

Couple of questions:
1) with the 12.6" (320mm) disk, is the greater torque applied from the larger diameter rotor to the stock rotor mounting pads too much? I'm assuming you are using Grade 8 bolts here? I get the mental image of the pads cracking and a rim failure occurring.

2) does the 4 piston Brembo have a larger area and require more fluid volume? and, would this necessitate the use of the larger diameter (11/16 vs. 9/16) master cylinder?

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:19 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dlstanf2
GREAT POST!!!

You know how those T&D Makers are; a few "thousandths" out on clearance and they'd swear it was a few "hundredths" the other way.

I've been wanting to make this brake upgrade and really appreciate the information you guys have provided. I know that the 4 piston / 4 pad caliper and larger diameter rotor not only saves on unsprung weight but provides better modulation with the brake lever. That with a modification to the forks should give great brake performance. Also, an engine/frame stabilizer to correct the "twitchiness" the Dyna's have should make for a combination to wear out your pegs.

Couple of questions:
1) with the 12.6" (320mm) disk, is the greater torque applied from the larger diameter rotor to the stock rotor mounting pads too much? I'm assuming you are using Grade 8 bolts here? I get the mental image of the pads cracking and a rim failure occurring.

2) does the 4 piston Brembo have a larger area and require more fluid volume? and, would this necessitate the use of the larger diameter (11/16 vs. 9/16) master cylinder?
>>> stock rotor mounting pads too much?
<<< No
>>> I'm assuming you are using Grade 8 bolts here?
<<< No
>>> larger diameter (11/16 vs. 9/16) master cylinder?
<<< No
You are reading too much into this project.
Do larger diameter rotors work better, of course.
Are they going to do all of the dangerous things you are thinking? No they will not.
The modulation you are saying is really an other term I think you are referring to & that is called feedback. You feel the braking action of the wheel/caliper. I can, in emergency situations that do not happen that much, thank God, apply just enough pressure to just feel the tire chirp. That is the point just before you loose traction and the wheel locks up.

Quick Reply: 4 piston real Brembo