Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 piston real Brembo

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009 | 09:59 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Default Maybe a little help

Please view my PDF letter to you that I am hosting LINK

Please note the correct word is RUB in place of cub in 2. "2- Does the rotor rub here? This is very important to answer."

>>> fix the problem.....by having QTMI correct what they sold me.
<<< I can not help you in that respect as I do not do business with them.

>>> if you have a bracket, let me know what it would cost and I'll keep it in mind when and if I need to go that route.
<<< I have no intensions in selling you anything as your problem is fixable if you give me a chance to help you.

Please get back with my on these questions and we can spank the monkey and put it to bed.

Old 04-18-2009 | 10:16 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

BG, I added the same setup you have, very direct bolyup for me (the straight banjo cost me $20 ay the local dealer?). I found the folks at QTM very straightforward, would be very surprised if they won't help. I live pretty close to them, let me know if I can help in any way.

Originally Posted by blueglide88
Well guys...having a 2006 FXD and not many options, I chose to buy the Brembo kit from QTMI. I bought the rotor and 4 pad caliper setup....now get this...big bucks at $850...then I found out I needed a new brake line because you need a straight banjo for that specific caliper.....so another $75....and them another $25 for all new rotor mounting bolts from HD...so all in all approx $950. Now I figured if it saved my *** just once, it would be worth it.

However, I just spent the evening trying to put it on and it does not fit properly! The caliper housing and spring retainer rubs against the outer diameter of the rotor. The caliper is centered, the problem is the bracket does not space the caliper out enough!

I'll be contatcing QTMI first thing monday. I want action and I want it fast. I can't ride my bike unless I spend more money to buy new shoulder bolts and put on my old rotor and caliper. I dont want to do that.

These guys should have better quality than what I got. They should have had all the kinks worked out before selling a kit to the public. I'll keep you guys informed as to what they do for me.

Old 04-18-2009 | 10:18 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain

BG, just reread your thread. My caliper setup came with a series of shims and instructions on how to space out the caliper on the bracket. You use a feeler guage to correctly center the caliper. It was pretty easy to do (the shimming was part of their instructions).

The area where you filed was where they said to use the feeler guage.

From the way you describe it, it seems like perhaps you didn't do this?

Last edited by gregbenner; 04-18-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2009 | 10:39 AM
chandler
|
Cruiser

blueglide, well that totally sucks. I don't know what to say except you should demand that QTMI make it right. Sounds like they shipped you the wrong bracket. Is that the four pad caliper? I used the two pad / four piston one.

Old 04-18-2009 | 11:12 AM
benwiggin2
Road Master

Got to hand it to Howard (Fastharley)- this guy helps wherever, whenever he can. Seems like a stand up guy.
Hope this all gets sorted out for you BG.

Old 04-18-2009 | 11:44 AM
blueglide88
Tourer

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Please view my PDF letter to you that I am hosting LINK

Please note the correct word is RUB in place of cub in 2. "2- Does the rotor rub here? This is very important to answer."

>>> fix the problem.....by having QTMI correct what they sold me.
<<< I can not help you in that respect as I do not do business with them.

>>> if you have a bracket, let me know what it would cost and I'll keep it in mind when and if I need to go that route.
<<< I have no intensions in selling you anything as your problem is fixable if you give me a chance to help you.

Please get back with my on these questions and we can spank the monkey and put it to bed.

Thanks for the input FastHarley.....in photo #1 the caliper does NOT hit at arrow #2. If it did, the caliper would not be centered, and believe me, it is centered.

I may take apart the caliper tommorrow, but now it's warm and my trusty old bagger is calling my name. I'll be riding all day.....

I have had some email correspondance with QTMI this morning. This is what they said....

"We are sorry to hear about that there have been issues with the install. There is a very simple solution. There is a little bit of wiggle room in the holes where the caliper mounting bolts go through the bracket. If we loosen these bolts then use one hand to hold the caliper radially away from the rotor as far as possible while tightening these bolts down, it will give us the additional clearance needed to get the rear of the caliper housing up off the rotor."

I responded with the following.....

"that does not work.......when I tighten the bolts, the caliper moves back into the rotor....besides, I think that's a very cheap and crappy solution"....and in a quick followup email I also told them......

"and......not only does that not work...who's to say that during use or hard braking the caliper will not move? come on....for the money I paid you must have a beter solution than that"

which lead them to send me this ........

"Hi Bob,

H-D is notorious for very wide manufacturing tolerances, and once every year or two we run into an issue where it effects the fitment of our parts. I can assure you that we sell lots of these parts to dealers and end-users and VERY rarely have an issue. We saw this issue on a bike a couple of years ago, and holding the caliper up during the install did solve the problem. Since you are not open to trying this solution, the only other option we have is to customize a bracket for you. We can modify the same bracket you have to move the back of the caliper up very slightly. We should be able to have this done by Tuesday.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed,"

I emailed them this........

"Tara,

That is not correct to say I am not open to trying your suggestion.

I already tried it last night. Like I said, when I tighten the bolts the caliper moves back onto the rotor, even when I hold it back.

Sending me a customized bracket is the way to go. However, I have to ask,,,,will it be chrome? How will you customize it? Are you going to bore a hole offset and install a bushing? Wouldn't that weaken the bracket near the hole you are offsetting? I'm a machinist and I pretty much know how that would work"

so there it stands......I would like them to make me a new bracket, not "customize " the one I have......they feel I may not be co-operating, but I tried to get it to fit last night and it plain old does not fit. The holes in the bracket need to be rotated so the rear of the caliper is radially away a little bit more than it sits right now. If they don't want to make me a bracket, I'm thinking right now I'll just make my own. some things are best donw yourself, and since I have the ability, I just need to find the time, which sux, that's why I bought this setup instead of making it.

Thanks everybody for your help and comments. I'll let you all know how it turns out, but you can bet in the end that caliper will be mounted on my bike and I'll tell you how much better braking I have. The n you'll be able to judge for yourselves whether or not you wan to spend so much money.

I gotta go riding now!

Old 04-18-2009 | 11:46 AM
blueglide88
Tourer

Originally Posted by chandler
blueglide, well that totally sucks. I don't know what to say except you should demand that QTMI make it right. Sounds like they shipped you the wrong bracket. Is that the four pad caliper? I used the two pad / four piston one.

yes...4 pad 4 piston caliper......I wanted the best stopping power Brembo could supply....

Old 04-18-2009 | 12:07 PM
last saint
Road Master

Awesome!! That's what I'm talking about...making great deals work and work damn good!
Kudos!

Old 04-18-2009 | 08:00 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

blueglide88 at least they think the problem is what I think it is (off center [the other off center as in axle] caliper like in the purple rotor). Being a tool & die maker I know you did know what is centered and how to measure.
>>> in photo #1 the caliper does NOT hit at arrow #2.
<<< In my past dealings with Brembo sometimes I have had a tab too long and it pushed the caliper over, Brembo calipers are casted & machined by people and sometimes they screw up.

It happened on an install I did on a members bike here. Exact same caliper I used over 50 times with never a problem. This one was a problem. Just because they make it for a bike there are sometimes manufacturing defects. When screwing with any bike always expect the unexpected and keep an open and clear mind.

Old 04-21-2009 | 09:22 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default Good News!

Kudos to QTMI, they sent me out a new bracket next day air and I installed it tonight. Everything looks fine, the caliper is spaced out evenly and there is no interference.

I cannot hook up the brake lines for a few days yet, but once I do I'll road test and give everybody a review of the system.

Thanks to everybody for all the suggestions, and big thanks to FastHarley for going way beyond the call of duty to lend a hand and ideas!

Quick Reply: 4 piston real Brembo