Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4 piston real Brembo

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:40 PM
chandler
|
Cruiser

OK, so I forget what I write sometimes. My bad.

Greg, I have not ridden a Harley with dual disks, but I know what good brakes are all about. The biggest reason to go with dual disks is heat dissipation. If you plan on making repeated full on stops time after time then go with the duals.

I ride as hard as anyone in the twisties and I don't see a need to go with dual disks unless you are ridding at 100% all the time. I have not noticed any fork flex or anything. I have a Superbrace, but only ran it for one weekend as I didn't see any improvement and it was ugly.

BTW, my bike is setup pretty decent with Works Performance shocks and Race Tech kit in the front. I ride the **** out of it in mountains.

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:42 PM
r00k
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by gregbenner
Also, I was a little worried about fork flex/twist with one "real" caliper. I do have a Superbrace, but still not sure. Have you noticed anything?
I get a little brake steer with the stock caliper and no super brace. I would imagine that with this caliper you would really need the brace.

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:51 PM
chandler
|
Cruiser
Smile

And maybe I should mention, I can be an arrogant jerk that at times likes to **** people off.

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:57 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Thx Chandler. This was my hope. I agree re: "max" braking...my goal is to go fast thru the corners...not brake for them

I just want to be able stop once really fast if I must.

I learned a concept call "The Pace"..written for modern sport bikes, but applicable to a well handling Dyna as well.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fl...sch/index.html

Originally Posted by chandler
OK, so I forget what I write sometimes. My bad.

Greg, I have not ridden a Harley with dual disks, but I know what good brakes are all about. The biggest reason to go with dual disks is heat dissipation. If you plan on making repeated full on stops time after time then go with the duals.

I ride as hard as anyone in the twisties and I don't see a need to go with dual disks unless you are ridding at 100% all the time. I have not noticed any fork flex or anything. I have a Superbrace, but only ran it for one weekend as I didn't see any improvement and it was ugly.

BTW, my bike is setup pretty decent with Works Performance shocks and Race Tech kit in the front. I ride the **** out of it in mountains.

Old 03-19-2009 | 12:59 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain

Crap, I didn't even notice...............

Originally Posted by chandler
And maybe I should mention, I can be an arrogant jerk that at times likes to **** people off.

Old 03-19-2009 | 02:50 PM
Marksman
Road Captain

Chandler, how did you know all this stuff was going to fit?
The brake lines worked out? No problem with the master cylinder?

I would love to do a brake upgrade. Sounds like you have a great solution for about $200.
I have a 99 FDX with spokes. Every time I look for parts it seems like I am the red-headed stepchild. Seems like the parts I want fit everything but my year and model. Is there a place I can research to see if this would work for me?

Thanks

Old 04-17-2009 | 10:57 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default Brembo does not fit

Well guys...having a 2006 FXD and not many options, I chose to buy the Brembo kit from QTMI. I bought the rotor and 4 pad caliper setup....now get this...big bucks at $850...then I found out I needed a new brake line because you need a straight banjo for that specific caliper.....so another $75....and them another $25 for all new rotor mounting bolts from HD...so all in all approx $950. Now I figured if it saved my *** just once, it would be worth it.

However, I just spent the evening trying to put it on and it does not fit properly! The caliper housing and spring retainer rubs against the outer diameter of the rotor. The caliper is centered, the problem is the bracket does not space the caliper out enough!

I'll be contatcing QTMI first thing monday. I want action and I want it fast. I can't ride my bike unless I spend more money to buy new shoulder bolts and put on my old rotor and caliper. I dont want to do that.

These guys should have better quality than what I got. They should have had all the kinks worked out before selling a kit to the public. I'll keep you guys informed as to what they do for me.

Old 04-17-2009 | 11:33 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

blueglide88 You may wish to take a breath. When modifying HD's you must make allowances for these speed bumps in the beginning.

>>> The caliper is centered, the problem is the bracket does not space the caliper out enough!
<<< Do you mean the caliper is centered on the rotor?

If it is than The caliper housing and spring retainer rubs against the outer diameter of the rotor? Where does it rub?

Do you wish to fix it or blame others? If you wish to fix it possibly I may be able to help you as we make a similar rotor and adapter. I have gone through some of these problems myself. Photos and explanations of your problems would be most helpful. You can e-Mail me if you like with photos unless you can host them yourself and I can read them here.

Old 04-18-2009 | 12:13 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Default taking a breath

Ok....taking a breath.....but it's not easy after spending that much money. This first pic shows where I filed, yet you can still see interference on the housing and look closely....the spring has some shiny spots where it was also hitting the rotor....

this second pic shows the wear marks on the rotor...see where the rotor os shiny?....the rest of it is black...the shiny is where it is rubbing the caliper....also notice the shiny spots are on the outer diameter of the rotor

this next pic is hard to see....but the caliper is centerd on the rotor......

here is another pic......again very hard to tell but the spring is rubbing against the rotor...

Now of course I want to fix the problem.....by having QTMI correct what they sold me. Yes, I am blaming them, they sold it to me, didn't they? If they will not or cannot fix it, I'll be forced to buy another brakcet from somebody...maybe you, Fastharley....or make one myself. I am a tool and die maker, but I'd rather not spend the time if at all possible. if you have a bracket, let me know what it would cost and I'll keep it in mind when and if I need to go that route.

Old 04-18-2009 | 12:24 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member

Brembo make some of the finest brakes you can get for your buck, no doubt about it. I personally prefer brakes from technoplus, but they are almost impossible to get in the US. I'll have my brother send me some. But for sure you made a very good choice. Makes more sense to me to invest in good brakes than in some chrome dings and blacked out doo dahs.

Quick Reply: 4 piston real Brembo