Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

neck is sore after today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
jordanball33
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default neck is sore after today...

rode over 200 miles today from school back home and back to school, over 4 hours on the road, on the way back my neck started to get sore from holding my head steady with the wind beating on me, i dont have a windshield, but i did have my jacket tied to the bars and i would duck behind it and rest on the tank and it was so peaceful, so im looking for sometihn i can do to beat the wind just a bit, i feel like a parachute when i ride for a long time, and since its warm again i will prob be putting atleast 250 miles per weekend on the scoot, thinking of something detachable and good looking, what would you suggest? maybe a windvest or a arlen ness faring or somethign like that, i just want a comfortable ride if i wanna stay in the saddle all day, cuz i love to go places on my harley. and i do have an older windshield someone said prob off of an older FL or something, but no brackets, i dont know. so whats cheaper, or would look better than i may could find from another member here or on ebay or somethign.. thanks

Old 03-18-2009, 07:12 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley-Davidson compact, quick-detachable windshield. Look for them on harleydavidson.com

Old 03-18-2009, 07:18 PM
bailer01
Cruiser

agree...on for long trips, off for around town. VERY quick and easy

Old 03-18-2009, 07:24 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zip-tie a piece of cardboard to the apes... or get a mini van

Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 PM
bakerm75
Road Captain

I though this thread was going to go somewhere completely different.

I like my windshield when I'm cold or on the road.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 PM
pab
Tourer

I've been down this path twice, and I"ve felt your pain. I would suggest going with a Mustang seat with the rider's back rest, a 3/4 or full helmet, and totally skip the wind shield. I'm on my second SG. The first time around (05 SG Custom) I went with the quick detach compact HD windshield. Looked good,and it felt good up to about 60 mph. Above 60 the buffeting was bad. So, this time around (09 SG Custom) I added a Mustang seat with rider's backrest, and skipped the shield, and bought a 3/4 helmet (HD Ultra Jet with smoked screen). Now at 60 mph & above there is a lot less buffeting, and the rider's backrest gives me support against the wind so that my neck doesn't get sore. In total, you'll spend about the same $$ going this route verses going with a HD windshield, and IMHO be much happier. BTW, the Mustang folks are great to work with, and will even tell you which distributer to contact to make the best buy. Finally, I'm not connected with Mustang in any way what so ever. I've been buying their products for several years and like being able to support an American company that sells a quality product. 2nd finally, Mustang products are often available on ebay. Bought a seat & back rest there myself a while back. Ride safe.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bakerm75
I though this thread was going to go somewhere completely different.
Yeah, I thought he was gonna say that he spent the day in jail

For me, mid/drags/fullface eliminated any wind problems. My 2 cents.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:39 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Sorry but I can't resist. Windshields are for cars.

I'm 50 years old, been riding for 34 years, never had a windshield on any of my bikes. I just don't like the way they look.

When my neck gets tired (and it does) it's time to take a break. I can still average 400 in a day, and if needed I've gone 550, but that's pushin it for me.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:47 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by jordanball33
rode over 200 miles today from school back home and back to school, over 4 hours on the road, on the way back my neck started to get sore from holding my head steady with the wind beating on me, i dont have a windshield, but i did have my jacket tied to the bars and i would duck behind it and rest on the tank and it was so peaceful, so im looking for sometihn i can do to beat the wind just a bit, i feel like a parachute when i ride for a long time, and since its warm again i will prob be putting atleast 250 miles per weekend on the scoot, thinking of something detachable and good looking, what would you suggest? maybe a windvest or a arlen ness faring or somethign like that, i just want a comfortable ride if i wanna stay in the saddle all day, cuz i love to go places on my harley. and i do have an older windshield someone said prob off of an older FL or something, but no brackets, i dont know. so whats cheaper, or would look better than i may could find from another member here or on ebay or somethign.. thanks
I just rode about 85 miles today, and I see what you mean, but it is not so bad for me, but I think it may have something to do with the fact that I wear a full face helmet which may be more aerodynamic, so less wind resistance on my head.. From yer pic, probably not a consideration though, LOL...

Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a QD that I put on in the winter. The buffeting is annoying and dont care for the looks so dont run it very often in the summer.

Like someone else stated a drivers backrest helps some. A full face helmet helps alot and might be a option for the long trips. It also eliminates the wind noise and I tuck a speaker in there for my Ipod.

Quick Reply: neck is sore after today...