Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical, Run/turn/brake help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM
octane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical, Run/turn/brake help (WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDED)

I need a little electrical help with my run/turn/brake kit. I am just about done with my winter mods and ran into a snag just as everything was put back together. I smoothed out the rear fender and took out the tail light and am using the Harley kit to relocate my brake lights to the turn signals. I took apart the old brake light and moved the relay module from inside the brake light to under the seat. Everything was working well until I reassebled everything with my new rear fender. Now the left side run light won't stay on. The signal works, and so does the right side. If I switch the right and left wiring in the relay, the left side works, so my wiring to the signals is correct. I am getting just over 7VDC from the right and just over 5VDC from the left. Does anyone know what the voltage is supposed to be to the signals with the kit installed? I don't know why these would be different. I think either my run/turn/brake module went bad, or I now have a short in the module I took out of the original brake light. Anyone have any ideas. How have you guys taken out the brake light? Any other options besides taking the module out of the brake light? I really need help with this one. It's supposed to be 70 degrees the rest of the week. Here is a few pics of the original brake module I took out and put under the seat, just for reference. I have been running this kit with no problems for the past 2 weeks while I was waiting on my fenders to get painted, so everything has been working great for a while.

Attached Thumbnails Electrical, Run/turn/brake help-100_2479.jpg   Electrical, Run/turn/brake help-000_0004.jpg   Electrical, Run/turn/brake help-000_0005.jpg   Electrical, Run/turn/brake help-000_0006.jpg  

Last edited by octane; 03-18-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 AM
DIESEL72
Intermediate

You dont need any parts from the break light, I filled my fender to and used the harley kit then rewired the signals back to the original harnes under the fender, real easy and clean. Works great too

Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
panic_fan
Tourer

Ditto. I just did the same wiring a couple days ago. If you have the run/brake/turn module from Harley, just run the signal wires direcly from the module plug and toss all the tail light parts.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
octane
Cruiser

Can you guys post a pic of how you ran this? Can you still disconnect your turn signals or are they wired directly to the brake/turn kit?

Old 03-18-2009, 09:34 AM
panic_fan
Tourer

I can take some pics tonight. I used the connector that plugs into the run/brake/turn module and feeds the rear end which I believe is just the standard rear wiring harness plug. Wired the turns directly into that. So I can still disconnect my signals but not one at a time. I could have wired in the individual signal connectors for each side after the main plug but I needed to use one of the connectors for my plate light. Wanted to be able to disconnect it separately. If you're just running signals you'll end up with four wires coming out of the R/B/T module. The plate light adds two more. PM me if you need the wiring positions for the plug....or check the wiring diagram in the service manual and ignore the brake light mini-diagram.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
octane
Cruiser

Anyone have a wiring diagram of the run/turn/brake kit. I am in the garage now trying to get this thing figured out. It's 70 and sunny and I am stuck in the garage, HELPPP!!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Jay837
2nd Gear

Mine did the same thing. I think I grounded something and shorted the light module. Every thing was good going in to the module but no run light on left side coming out. I checked everything at the connector pins. Looks like another kit. Will run as stock untill then.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 PM
buellrider76
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default forget the module

I did the same thing shaving my rear fender. All the wires to the rear are run direct. Only issue with this is that I have to cut the wires if I ever want to remove the rear fender. I just used the manual wiring diagram and spliced the wires as needed. If you need specifics I can try to help.

Attached Thumbnails Electrical, Run/turn/brake help-dsc03741.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Jay837
2nd Gear

The wires unplug under the seat. Follow the harness from the fender and you will find the connector. The wires are the same colors on both sides I used a test light to find out what each one was. Sorry no shortcuts this time.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:46 PM
roadhouse
Tourer

on the harley plug use # 1and #3 holes these are your turn sgnals. just solder in wire extentions and get rid of anything to do with the tail light.