Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought Namz bullet headlight, couple quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Hammy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bought Namz bullet headlight, couple quick questions

Hi,
I bought the Namz plug and play bullet headlight, (for 08 Wide Glide) it comes with the factory plug already installed.
Is there any way to get at the plug other than removing the gas tank? I'm thinking that the answer would be no.. I see the wire runs into the side of the fram then under the tank. There doesn't seem to be enough slack to pull it out from there. Any tips on tank removal?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:45 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammy
Hi,
I bought the Namz plug and play bullet headlight, (for 08 Wide Glide) it comes with the factory plug already installed.
Is there any way to get at the plug other than removing the gas tank? I'm thinking that the answer would be no.. I see the wire runs into the side of the frame then under the tank. There doesn't seem to be enough slack to pull it out from there. Any tips on tank removal?
If you remove the rubber grommet from the side of the neck, then fish around that recess with your fingers, you will feel a lip between that area and the hollow in the frame, under the tank. That lip is probably catching the headlight plug keeping you from getting it out. There should be enough slack in the wiring, if you can get the plug past that lip.

If not, and you have to get to the plug from the hollow under the frame, just raise your tank. No need to remove the tank. Cover your forward rocker box to protect it from the clamps on the cross-over fuel line. Unbolt the tank at the front, trying leaving the rear bolt in. This will allow you to lift the tank a couple inches. Hold the tank up by used a piece of wood under it.

Once the tank is raised, you can remove the plastic cover which sits under the front of the frame, beneath the tank. There are two tabs which rest in holes in the side of the frame. Push these tabs inward and the recess cover can be pulled down. It will take some maneuvering to completely remove this cover from the bottom of the frame.

Hopefully you won't have to go through all this. If so, I hope this makes sense and will help.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Hammy
Tourer

thanks, will be trying install after work. Will try to post pics once I get in on.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not just cut and splice? That's what I did. Took about 15 minutes to install my new headlamp.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:59 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Tank removal isn't necessary unless you have unusually giant hands. Just use a pair of needlenose pliers and pull that rubber grommet out of the frame. it may help to loosen the tank and just slide it back a bit but no need for full removal.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i just put a lamp on like that... you have 2 wires the headlight grounds to itself... red off the lamp goes to yellow on the bike, yellow on the lamp goes to white on the bike, black (ground) fromt he bike can get wrapped up tight... came out awesome on my buddies train! i cut soldered and shrink wrapped... better than stock... took me 15 min to do the whole thing... and drink a beer!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM
vladt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hmmm. Actually, if you pull out the rubber grommet and actually pull on the wire, it might be just long enough to come out from the headstock so you can disconnect your old and connect your new head light. If the connector gets stuck inside, just "wiggle it around" a bit.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM
Hammy
Tourer

Once I got the grommet out, it was about a minute of jiggling the connector out as it was caught up in there.. But plugged right in and looks great. Will post pics of new mods as soon as i can