Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardwire GPS power

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:22 AM
Rauzer
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwire GPS power

I tried searching and couldnt find anything really solid on my question...

I want to hard wire power for my Nuvi GPS. I saw posts about using the battery tender plugs. I have one on the bike for charging the battery. Can I just splice together another tender plug to a power cord for the GPS?? Or just splice some power wire to a cord for the GPS and run it right to the battery?? Put a fuse inline?? I dont want to put the cigarette lighter adapter in anywhere. I'm able to do the wiring, just looking for someone who's done it before. I dont want to fry my gps. Any info would be great. Thanks!!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:18 AM
Tele00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent 15 bucks on the accassory harness and ran the power into a female cigarette lighter socket in my fork bag. I can power anything by zipping open the fork bag , plugging it in, and tucking the slack into the bag.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

should work no problem. spend the time to trace the + side on the gps. and wire an inline fuse. the battery tender connector is probably a better choice than hard wiring to the battery. quick and easy to disconnect if needed. I made an adapter from the bat tender plug to a female cig lighter because my gps has the traffic antenna built into the cig plug.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:16 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My Garmin is wired direct to the battery (with an inline fuse) on my RoadGlide. On the Beemer, I have it wired to an auxilliary "switched" hot wire, so it turns off when I turn off the bike. Either works fine.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 ciggy lighter or you can also get an extra cord, cut and splice that, but also add in a inline fuse man!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Be carefu about the voltage, sometimes the cig plugs on those power adapters conceal a voltage regulator. I burned up an xm unit by clipping the cig plug off the adapter and wiring into my Grand Am. Too late I noticed the power requirements for the device.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rauzer
I tried searching and couldnt find anything really solid on my question...

I want to hard wire power for my Nuvi GPS. I saw posts about using the battery tender plugs. I have one on the bike for charging the battery. Can I just splice together another tender plug to a power cord for the GPS?? Or just splice some power wire to a cord for the GPS and run it right to the battery?? Put a fuse inline?? I dont want to put the cigarette lighter adapter in anywhere. I'm able to do the wiring, just looking for someone who's done it before. I dont want to fry my gps. Any info would be great. Thanks!!
I got mine wired directly to the battery with in inline fuse. Came with the Zumo. This way when I stop for gas I just leave it on and do not have to wait for it to power back up.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Boneyard Blue
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're looking for a SAE 2 pin (or prong) plug which you can find on Ebay. Some come with a female cigarette lighter adapter and others just have an open ending. Either way, you can get one that's long enough that fits your needs. The male cigarette end of my GPS unit has a fuse in it so no need to add a inline fuse.

Last edited by Boneyard Blue; 03-18-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Rauzer
Road Captain

hhhmmmm....

The power plug on my gps says output 5Vdc 1A...I'm guessing with that I shouldnt try to hard wire it in.

I found a set of an 8ft SAE 2-pin extension and a female cigar lighter plug. Perhaps running that to my bag is the best bet. I can cut down the 8ft cable to fit better...

Old 03-18-2009, 05:28 PM
donshirkey
6th Gear
Default quick and easy

i used a hd part # 91843-97 (touring) you have 2 places to connect it to under the seat and at the fuses

Quick Reply: Hardwire GPS power