Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HeadQuarters 121 inch TwinCam

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:17 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Man, you are one talented man. I wish I had half your skills. Nicely done.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:22 AM
REED
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice build

I like your numbers mud very similar build to mine except I went 131 cu inch andrews 67G cams2.02 intake valve raised port heads BCGEROLAMY intake with 6.0 injectors, with DTT controller. When I did the big inch engine I went with a 2 tooth larger trans pulley, last year this thing screamed however was very longlegged in first so this year to overcome that problem I have installed the Baker DD7 trans (nice piece) and that will put first back where it belongs for ratio. Havn't had it on the dyno yet but couldn't get it to run right till I set the DTT controller for an est 180 HP output and now it runs great. In less than 1.5 KM 2up can exceed the 220 kmph reading on my speedo with windshield and bags. I would say the reason your times in the quarter are slow to start are prob a function of the tall gearing in first gear on the 06 dyna with the cruise drive trans. Like your ohlins on the rear what do you think of them, Howard has a new set on the way for me to match the newforks he is doing up for me right now. tom
To the one who asked about longevity of the motor its kind of like putting a high output headlight bulb in it works and performs beautifully but most likely wont last like stocker,but if you can afford that kind of build and do most of the workyourself it's always fun getting back into it to make improvements. tom reed reedthattelus.net

Last edited by REED; 03-14-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 AM
apbtlvr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mud with that compression does it run on pump gas?

Old 03-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Lennyone
Tourer

Mudpuddle

I have a Jims 131 inch motor with 135 torque at 3000 RPM, and 131 HP at the rear wheel at 6800 RPM. The motor came with the SE 635 Cams SE ported Heads 10.8 compression. My zero to 60 times are slow also. Out of the hole I have been embarrass. I have only been to the track once. I wish I could build my own motor, but I just do not have the patience do all that work.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lennyone
Mudpuddle

I have a Jims 131 inch motor with 135 torque at 3000 RPM, and 131 HP at the rear wheel at 6800 RPM. The motor came with the SE 635 Cams SE ported Heads 10.8 compression. My zero to 60 times are slow also. Out of the hole I have been embarrass. I have only been to the track once. I wish I could build my own motor, but I just do not have the patience do all that work.
Nice, those are some great numbers. Nice high-rpm.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:25 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mud - one question (okay, I had two, but you already answered one in your second post)

Why two compression releases per head? Just curious if its the compression or the cubes that require both. I'm running 10.5:1 and 95 inches with no compression release. No problems (yet).

Old 03-14-2009, 10:48 PM
mud
muderator
Received 8,944 Likes on 2,089 Posts

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob

Are you encountering any tuning issues?

I'm a meticulous freak like what you've shown with your build. Those heads look great.

Why didn't they shape the valve guide at all?

I'm not downing your build-it's a beautiful work of art-just wondering if they didn't find any additional flow by trying it.

And I agree....the forum needs ALOT more building stuff like this. Keep up the good work dude.
No tuning issues green.
Ed in Dallas at theDynoDifference is "a meticulous freak" like you and I.
this machine is real smooth in stop and go traffic or wide open InterState Flight.

as to shaping the Valve Guides, you got me there. I don't know.
never seen the guides worked.
if you're saying *more* flow volume is the way to go on the HD TC motors,
I do not think that is the case. May be wrong, I think velocity is where it's at.
I'm real happy with the package, it is a blast to motor this thing.

If you get a chance, show me some examples of headWork with the guides shaped.
Sounds interesting........

Originally Posted by jakeiniraq

Man, you are one talented man. I wish I had half your skills. Nicely done.
thanks jake. You and your Son might oughta tear into that Sporty of his.

883?? perfect project for next winter.......

Originally Posted by REED
I like your numbers mud very similar build to mine except I went 131 cu inch andrews 67G cams2.02 intake valve raised port heads BCGEROLAMY intake with 6.0 injectors, with DTT controller.
When I did the big inch engine I went with a 2 tooth larger trans pulley, last year this thing screamed however was very longlegged in first so this year to overcome that problem I have installed the Baker DD7 trans (nice piece) and that will put first back where it belongs for ratio.
Havn't had it on the dyno yet but couldn't get it to run right till I set the DTT controller for an est 180 HP output and now it runs great. In less than 1.5 KM 2up can exceed the 220 kmph reading on my speedo with windshield and bags.
I would say the reason your times in the quarter are slow to start are prob a function of the tall gearing in first gear on the 06 dyna with the cruise drive trans. Like your ohlins on the rear what do you think of them, Howard has a new set on the way for me to match the newforks he is doing up for me right now. tom
To the one who asked about longevity of the motor its kind of like putting a high output headlight bulb in it works and performs beautifully but most likely wont last like stocker,
but if you can afford that kind of build and do most of the workyourself it's always fun getting back into it to make improvements. tom reed reedthattelus.net
REED, you know how it works. These big motors are great........

I'm going to a quick change wheel/gearing for the strip, soon.

How is that Baker box?? I hear they are real good.

Originally Posted by apbtlvr

Mud with that compression does it run on pump gas?
ap, yessir runs fine on the 93 Texas fuel.

Originally Posted by Lennyone
Mudpuddle

I have a Jims 131 inch motor with 135 torque at 3000 RPM, and 131 HP at the rear wheel at 6800 RPM.
The motor came with the SE 635 Cams SE ported Heads 10.8 compression.
My zero to 60 times are slow also. Out of the hole I have been embarrass.
I have only been to the track once.

I wish I could build my own motor, but I just do not have the patience do all that work.
It is a bit of work Lenny. satisfying though.

that's what I thought 131. radical........

Originally Posted by sporty79
mud - one question (okay, I had two, but you already answered one in your second post)

Why two compression releases per head?
Just curious if its the compression or the cubes that require both.
I'm running 10.5:1 and 95 inches with no compression release. No problems (yet).
sporty, I guess your 10.5:1 is right at the edge.

as to the 4 releases on mine........ a precaution.

On this motor and the previous 95" 11:1 motor,
if I forgot to decompress it definitely gets your attention.
Especially when hot.

mud......

Old 03-15-2009, 12:26 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master

Mud, how does the variable clutch feel? Any problems with using a belt final drive? I've always seen a 4" secondary belt with a chain final. Especially anything over 120HP. Had any problems with with your belt? I really like keeping
the stock primary setup. Makes for a good sleeper.

Could you post a sound recording?

I bet with your suspension mods and this new monster motor there's a Hayabusa just waiting to get slain. Keep posting!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlstanf2
Mud, how does the variable clutch feel? Any problems with using a belt final drive? I've always seen a 4" secondary belt with a chain final. Especially anything over 120HP. Had any problems with with your belt? I really like keeping
the stock primary setup. Makes for a good sleeper.

Could you post a sound recording?

I bet with your suspension mods and this new monster motor there's a Hayabusa just waiting to get slain. Keep posting!
Modern belts will hold up pretty well, under pretty much anything you throw at them. A chain will transfer power a little better, but you'll burn through clutches launching hard long before you'll go through a good belt.

I've gone through two clutches, and many tires, and still on the same stock HD belt @ 160hp 120 tq. The 1125s put out 145hp stock, and they use belts as well. They've really come a long was since the early 90s.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:37 AM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed in Dallas at theDynoDifference is "a meticulous freak" like you and I.
this machine is real smooth in stop and go traffic or wide open InterState Flight

I might have to go see him!!!

Quick Reply: HeadQuarters 121 inch TwinCam