Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can i do with my 85 low rider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 02:06 PM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What can i do with my 85 low rider?

I purchased an 85 lowrider from my dads friend. Its kinda nostaligic because this guy sold my dad his first bike and this is the same guy that sold me my first bike (this 85 low rider). I went for it because it was unmolested (30,000 miles) and the guy rode it real soft. He only sold it to me for 4500 which was cool but now its time for me to make it mine. Paint is cool for right now. When i first got it, i streched her out all the way and u pretty much used up all the power she had so i def need to do some engine work to get it a little faster. but as long as she runs and sounds good, ill deal with that later

Heres the issue, how do i get it in the 21st century at least. The guy i bought it from put a few chrome peices on it but nothing major and some drag pipes but nothing major. I want to put drag bars, chrome controls, braided cables, change that old school seat and some how throw those ugly front fender brackets in the trash without compromising the fender.

Where should i start, does anyone have any suggestions. Maybe some cheap performance upgrades (remind you its an 85 with a 80 evo) or some place i can get the other parts new/used. I know i cant get a fat tire kit but i want to make it look bad *** and of course my money is not as long as i would like it to be.

I almost want to leave it in the garage until its fixed up the way i want it to be. Ill post pics as soon as possible.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
r00k
Road Warrior

Some Pics would be nice...

Old 03-13-2009, 03:05 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it would be better to ask "what can't you do". Think of the bike as a blank canvas. Browse through the photo gallery or here on the Dyna forum and see what others have done. You're sure to get plenty of ideas. It is limitless what you can do, as long as you can afford it.

Good luck and post pics when you can so we can see what you have to work with.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:02 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya its hard to give ideas without pics

Just start small and try not to do any big expensive parts untill you have decided the direction you want. Find some little thing you know you want to do (ie pegs, grips, removal of parts, powder coat a part etc) then other things will come to you as you go. It wont take long of doing some little things for you to figure out what you want it to look like at the end.

I had no idea where I wanted to go with mine when I got it. I did a few things I knew I wanted. I relocated the front turn signals and put visors on them. I deceided on the pegs I wanted and about 8 months later its getting close to where I want it.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 PM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the pics. would like to see what you got. theres nothin you cant do with it.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
thomaskray
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being an 85, technically it's an antique. In Maryland you could put "historic" plates on it and not have to get an inspection. Maybe the same where you are?

That being said, I wouldn't do anything too radical to it. You got a peice of history there. Maybe soop up the engine, but I wouldn't do much to the external. It would be like someone that has a Sturgis Edition having it repainted and chit. It would ruin it.

If it were me of course.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:49 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man...if it's an 85...that's an FXR! What should you do with it?? Sell it to me for the same price!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by last saint
Man...if it's an 85...that's an FXR! What should you do with it?? Sell it to me for the same price!!!!!!

Man, beat me to it!

Is that an FXR, or FXS? My '80 Low Rider was an FXS, I think.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:36 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

My advice...ride it a year as is, don't di*k it up. Do yer home work. If it's an FRX you don't know what you have there...you hit the Harley jackpot. The FXR is probably the best riding Harley ever made (bar none), at least that's what conventional wisom says. But, we MUST have pics in order to help you along. Get a photoshop account (it's free) and then someone will show you how to post pics (it's easy).

Last edited by HarleypsychRN; 03-13-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

OK if it were mine the "it's only an 80" Evo" wouldn't be an issue. That power plant is the basis for many builds. I would yard the front end off and update it with a wideglide and a 21" front wheel. Go with a newer front end and you could use the new style front fender with out the supports. That with your drag bars and a solo seat would be sweet!

Quick Reply: What can i do with my 85 low rider?