Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty.. Future headaches?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is probably going to grenade any minute. Had it since first week of November and so far, so good.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronny c.
i had a salesman tell me harleys are just as reliable as a honda if you leave them alone, i.e. no pipes remaps breathers etc. If you think about it, the jap bike riders dont do much modifying other then cosmetics. nobody leaves a harley stock very often.
Actually most "jap bike" riders are not as big on the cosmetic mods, not much to do on a sport bike (if that was what you were referring to), but I have never seen one with stock pipes EVER. Mine included. So when I ref to my Hondas an my friends' import bikes and being so reliable, I mean with pipes, and jetting/fuel remap. Same as the first mod I see on HDs as well..

Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM
DeathProof72
Road Master

Originally Posted by Centerline
Mine is probably going to grenade any minute. Had it since first week of November and so far, so good.
I should hope so.......Would be pretty sad if it began to fall apart that soon...

Old 03-12-2009, 10:58 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You have 2 years during the life of the factory warranty to purchase the extended warranty. Why not wait and see how the bike is before dropping the coin.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM
chrisg
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most people I know that have had H.D's seem to say they are pretty reliable and have had very few problems. I think the dealerships like to play on people's fears though. They were trying to sell me an extended maintenance program for a coulple thousand dollars. Telling me how important it is and if I don't have the dealership do the maintenance it voids the warranty and a bunch of other crap. "Especially the first 1000 mile check up. That was the most important one." Bunch of crap. I changed my oil in the whole bike and it all looked like brand new oil still. They put the fear of god in you so you'll give them your money. Buy a manual, do your own maintenance and as much wrenching on your own when possible. These bikes are fairly simple really.

Chris

Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 PM
cpl215
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let's think about this for a minute. Would they really want to sell you an extended warranty if the bike was prone to break down during the extended period. I don't think so, because that would mean they had to do the work on it, potentially well beyond the dollar amount you paid for the warranty. This would mean they were losing money. On the flip side knowing the bikes are reliable, they push the warranty knowing the chances of a catastrophic failure are slim. This means they are making money for doing work that will never have to be done. That said...just say no to the warranty.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

When I picked up my new toy last month, the dealer was pushing hard to get the extended warranty. According to the details, within the first 90 days after getting the new bike, the warranty can be purchased. After that, there is a "$150 Extended Eligibility surcharge" up to the end of the normal 2 yr warranty (or if the mileage is greater than 2000 miles) to be able to purchase the extended one. Also, I think I remember that during the extended warranty period, there is a $50 deductible, blah, blah, blah. In other words, there are lots of fine print, asterisk stuff that dampens my desire to get one.

Another point, last year I purchased a new sportster at the same dealership. I thought about it a lot, but I didn't purchase the extended warranty. I am so glad I didn't. The reason is that when I traded my sportster in during the MSRP trade-in program, all that money I would have paid for extended warranty would have been lost.

Sure, having an extended warranty gives one a peace of mind. But it is an expensive peace and haggling with the dealer when it may be needed in the future is not what I want.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 AM
08Hawg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpl215
Let's think about this for a minute. Would they really want to sell you an extended warranty if the bike was prone to break down during the extended period. I don't think so, because that would mean they had to do the work on it, potentially well beyond the dollar amount you paid for the warranty. This would mean they were losing money. On the flip side knowing the bikes are reliable, they push the warranty knowing the chances of a catastrophic failure are slim. This means they are making money for doing work that will never have to be done. That said...just say no to the warranty.
Exactly! You can also compare this to a new car purchase. The last new vehicle I bought, I felt like I was face to face with a telemarketer when they were pushing the extended warranty on me. In fact, they started out at one price, and by the time I told them no about 5 times, they had come down to about half price on the warranty. What does that tell you? Nothing but a money maker......says nothing about the reliability of the vehicle/motorcycle!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:23 AM
r00k
Road Warrior

I'm with longhair, you have a 2 year standard warranty to think it over. Thats what I did but I also do all my own work.

I don't want the new guy making any mistakes on my bike when I get it serviced...

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

[quote=Man O'War;4697835]

The reason is that when I traded my sportster in during the MSRP trade-in program, all that money I would have paid for extended warranty would have been lost.

quote]

I don't know if it's state specific but you do get some of the money back. Wife and I had a Nissan pickup that we bought the warranty on and traded it after a year. This was the only time an extended warranty paid off. When we traded it they paid out most of the money for the warranty.....twice! We called them four times and no one returned our calls so into the savings acount it went.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty.. Future headaches?