Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel swap (Lowrider wheels on St Bob)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009 | 07:41 PM
cpsychoholic
|
Intermediate
Default wheel swap (Lowrider wheels on St Bob)

I've got a set of factory cast wheels off of an 07 Lowrider I want to put on my 07 Street Bob. I want to have everything I need so when it's time to replace tires (another 2500 miles), I can put the Lowrider wheels on my bob with new tires. Looking at the 07 parts manual, it seems all the spacers,bearings,belt pulley,and rear brake rotor are the same between the two bikes. The front rotor however is completely different. So my questions to all yall knowledgeable folks are.

1. If I just get a Lowrider front brake rotor, will the front wheel and rotor bolt up on st bob without any further mods?
2. I will replace the rear pulley bolts with new ones due to what I have read on here. Do I need to get new bolts for the brake rotors?
3. The lowrider wheels I got are low mileage take offs with bearings still intact. Is there a way to check them while still in the wheel but off the bike, or should they be replaced anyway?
4. How much trouble should be expected swapping wheels? Never had the wheels off any bike,I am a mechanic for a living just not on bikes. I am pretty sure I have whats needed(bike jack,tools,manual, etc). Sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-12-2009 | 08:29 PM
wall018
Novice

1. The lowrider brake rotor should work no prob, because the front end, fender and brake caliper mounts are the same on both bikes. The rotor is probably different because laced wheels can have clearance issues with the braking system.
2. Yes, replace the rotor bolts, they are cheap and easy to install and use locktite!
3. The wheels should be visually checked as well as computer balanced ( too much weight on one side may indicate a flat-spot etc. ) Also the bearings are usually good for over 10,000 miles, so there's not much to worry about there.
4. Not a hard job to do with the right tools, a lift etc. I would definately have a shop or someone with a motorcycle rim clamp and computer balancer do the mounting and balance.

Old 03-12-2009 | 08:44 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by cpsychoholic

1. If I just get a Lowrider front brake rotor,

will the front wheel and rotor bolt up on st bob without any further mods?

Thanks in advance for any input.

psych, according to my book, front axle, spacers, sleeve are different.

edited to add........ I read the book wrong. Numbers are the same for LR and the SB.

mud

Last edited by mud; 03-12-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2009 | 08:54 PM
bennydog
Cruiser

It will work Just fine, I got lowrider mags powder coated them and put them on my street bob all i needed was a rotor and got it off a v rod they are the same... Looks Good

Old 03-12-2009 | 10:01 PM
HAV0C
Cruiser

It will work fine. Just use the rotor that came with the lowrider wheels

Old 03-12-2009 | 10:23 PM
Outlaw_305
2nd Gear

I'm working on the same swap myself, and also taking my time picking out parts while my original tires are wearing down. I went to the local dealer the other day and talked to a parts guy I know about what the swap involved, and he said everything from the bob would work with my super glide wheels.

Mud: What book are you looking at? I was browsing the touring forum earlier and read about a "Parts Manual" offered from Harley that lists all the original equipment for the bikes. Anybody got the part number for the one for '07 Dynas?

Sorry about the thread jack

Old 03-12-2009 | 10:51 PM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Outlaw_305
I'm working on the same swap myself, and also taking my time picking out parts while my original tires are wearing down. I went to the local dealer the other day and talked to a parts guy I know about what the swap involved, and he said everything from the bob would work with my super glide wheels.

Mud: What book are you looking at? I was browsing the touring forum earlier and read about a "Parts Manual" offered from Harley that lists all the original equipment for the bikes. Anybody got the part number for the one for '07 Dynas?

Sorry about the thread jack

Outlaw, I read the book wrong. Numbers are the same for LR and the SB.

I believe this is the # for the 07 parts book 99439-07A. doublecheck that with your source.

mud

Old 03-13-2009 | 05:38 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

All related parts for the swap are the same except the rotors, rotor bolts and rotor bolt hardware. The rotor you need is used on the 06 and later FXDI and FXDLI with cast wheels. The number is 44553-06a. This rotor uses bolts (#3762M) and spring washers (#6966M).

Old 03-13-2009 | 07:01 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I'd just go ahead and replace the bearings with some good quality aftermarket ones. The FXD mags I bought to have chromed were supposedly relatively low miles but the bearings were in sad shape. As a matter of fact, the rear ones wouldn't even turn and it may have been just due to them sitting for so long not being used. You should be able to spin the bearings with your finger without a lot of pressure at all.

I'm having mine chromed but if you have a Bob, you might want to consider a powder coat job or something while you wait for your tires to need replacing. Looks really nice and easier to maintain than spokes.

Old 03-13-2009 | 01:32 PM
Kelcarrus
Intermediate

Here's my 2006 streetbob with lowrider wheels. I bought it with them already installed.

Quick Reply: wheel swap (Lowrider wheels on St Bob)