Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk...not the washer or tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 AM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jake.h
I just (yesterday) got done dealing with the dealer on this issue. Went in for the 10k service and told them we WERE going to resolve the clunk. They checked the top nut and the star nut, doing a fall away check. They drained and replaced the fork fluid with a heavier duty SE fluid. They checked the tank bolts. Then they called MOCO to figure out what to do next. Essentially, HD is saying the clunk is a coming from the floating calipers up front. My clunk always seemed higher, up in the triple trees area. But the dealer gave up - without charging me for any of the work. It is a bit better now, but only time will tell...
I have had this exact same procedure performed on my bike with *zero* effect on the noise. I think HD is right, and the source of the noise is the floating caliper. At rest, you can move the pads back and forth a little in the calipler [where the top bolt goes through them]. I cut up some hi-temp rubber hose, and placed small pieces between the "eye" on the pad, and the sides of the caliper. Spun the bike around the block. Noise gone.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Default Clunking noise

I had a similar noise on my 06 Low Rider. It turned out to be the cover on the handlebar risers. I stuck a piece of foam underneath the cover and "voila" noise gone.

Bart

Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt about it, the floating rotors do clunk and you can feel it in the bars............

if you are braking.

If you feel it over bumps, and your tank is tight, you probably need to adjust the torque on the components which compress the neck bearings.

Whether or not the dealer has checked your fall-away, your front end may need adjustment. Do your own fall-away check and adjustment of the star nut and the upper nut, accoring to the manual or service bulletin, which ever is applicable.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:10 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by jmpancoast
No doubt about it, the floating rotors do clunk and you can feel it in the bars............

if you are braking.

If you feel it over bumps, and your tank is tight, you probably need to adjust the torque on the components which compress the neck bearings.

Whether or not the dealer has checked your fall-away, your front end may need adjustment. Do your own fall-away check and adjustment of the star nut and the upper nut, accoring to the manual or service bulletin, which ever is applicable.
That's just it...I don't feel it, I hear it. I've checked the neck bearings/washer, and they appear to be torqued correctly. I'm still tooling with the caliper/pads. I think this is the source of the noise. I've got a manual. I'm going to take the bike to my buddy's house next week [he's got a lift] and do my own fall-away adjustment.

I appreciate the response/info.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:29 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I heard it on mine, knew what it was because the feel of the steering. I took the time to check the fall away on it and my wheel would not stay in one place long enough to properly check the fall away. I messed around getting the adjustment right and as soon as I was done it was gone.

Seems the dealers dance around this regularly. I think they just try to blow it off as "normal" and you should deal with it. If you look at all the threads on this topic all the alternative sources are listed. Sure I can hear the pads make a light clack when I first apply the brakes but a floating caliper should not make noise on a sharp bump. Simple fact is loose bearings affect handling and your safety so checking it is well worth the effort even if it isn't the problem. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:57 AM
jimw411
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has done it for a long time. Because if you make a forward stop and then back up your bike and pull the front brake it will do it. If you go forward and pull the front brake again it will do it. It's just a tiny pop from the front brake shiffting between forward stopping or reverse. I never thought it was a big deal. Do you guys think it's the caliper shifting or the rotor shifting on the wheel?? i wonder if that why Harley tells you to replace the rotor bolts when you remove them which i didn't.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

It's the pads shifting. They are not a precision fit into the caliper. If they had a close tolerance fit they would eventually bind up and stop working. The calipers do not float, they are bolted solid to the fork leg (at least on the 06 FXDCI in my garage). My bike doesn't have a floating rotor so I have no idea if those will contribute any funny noises or not.

My bet is still on the neck bearings. Any word yet Connman? Hope you got it fixed and are putting on some miles.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:59 PM
ConnMan
Road Master

Originally Posted by ackman1968
It's the pads shifting. They are not a precision fit into the caliper. If they had a close tolerance fit they would eventually bind up and stop working. The calipers do not float, they are bolted solid to the fork leg (at least on the 06 FXDCI in my garage). My bike doesn't have a floating rotor so I have no idea if those will contribute any funny noises or not.

My bet is still on the neck bearings. Any word yet Connman? Hope you got it fixed and are putting on some miles.
Spent the day mowing up leaves and cleaning the mung off the bike from a week in Daytona. I'm going to ride it next week and take it to my local independant and pick his brain. If all else fails, I'll do my own neck bearing adjustment and see what happens.