Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the powdercoating Pros

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the powdercoating Pros

Can a chrome V&H big radius 2-2 system be powdercoated in high gloss black? Also does anyone think that there would be any other issues that might come up with the process or in the long run?

I know that these pipes come in flat black and they look nice on bikes that are denim black but I think it would look really sick in high gloss black on a vivid black street bob.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM
DynaGlyda
Advanced

I got V and H short shots, they came chrome, got them powdercoated "semi gloss" black, aslong as its just the shield you shoul be ok, i know they make a high temp coating, but i think V and H loves using the sheilds and they dont really realize too much heat....you should be fine.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

He will probally chime in here but I am pretty sure JRK5892 did his in a gloss (or semi gloss) black.

They look good.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I would ceramic coat the actual pipe and then powdercoat the shields the gloss would most likely last longer

Old 03-12-2009, 02:20 PM
tweakin
Road Master

I powdercoated my short shots on my nightster in high gloss black
(see album) and they looked sick. Joe gave me the idea. You want to make sure you do a very good job media blasting before you coat. I ran mine for about a year and had no problems.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tweakin
I powdercoated my short shots on my nightster in high gloss black
(see album) and they looked sick. Joe gave me the idea. You want to make sure you do a very good job media blasting before you coat. I ran mine for about a year and had no problems.
Thats exactly what I was looking for...those pipes look sick. Your Bob is badass as well. I've been looking to see how 09 owners have been modding their bikes to flow with the silver engine now. Yours flows very nicely.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

bada bing! i do them all the time! new powders offer high heat gloss black as well that looks great and is super smooth... it is all in the media blasting man, if that is not done right it will not take the heat... i really take my time when i am doing them so the powder has a good surface to bite to... reg powder (like mine are done in) will take the heat no problem... i did get a bit of white dusting at first but that is all gone... they look great... prob one of my top 3 fav things i have done on my scoot
*check out my brothers caddy in the back round... rocking the black on black on black with the ralley stripe as well... SICK, and those are his WINTER wheels!
(personally i think that the chrome will flow a bit better with the motor, but ya never know... photo shop those suckers they may look killer in gloss black or even a semi gloss satin)

Last edited by JRK5892; 03-12-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:59 PM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JRK5892
bada bing! i do them all the time! new powders offer high heat gloss black as well that looks great and is super smooth... it is all in the media blasting man, if that is not done right it will not take the heat... i really take my time when i am doing them so the powder has a good surface to bite to... reg powder (like mine are done in) will take the heat no problem... i did get a bit of white dusting at first but that is all gone... they look great... prob one of my top 3 fav things i have done on my scoot
*check out my brothers caddy in the back round... rocking the black on black on black with the ralley stripe as well... SICK, and those are his WINTER wheels!
(personally i think that the chrome will flow a bit better with the motor, but ya never know... photo shop those suckers they may look killer in gloss black or even a semi gloss satin)
Joe,
Thanks for the info man. I've been going back and forth on chrome or gloss black for pipes I want to powder coat the the turns signals, brake light, fork lowers, tree, horn, derby cover, headlight ring, and the box on the opposite side of the battery box (forgot the name) all in gloss black. With that all done I thought that the gloss pipes would really set it off.

I've never used photo shop before so I wouldn't be any good there. If someone is really bored and wants to hook me up with some imagery of my bike with black pipes I'd be really grateful. Sick bike BTW!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM
crsowa
Tourer

sure can, check these bad boys out...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-to-spray.html
The only thing is that the powdercoaters said the gloss may flatten out a little after a while... only time will tell..

Last edited by crsowa; 03-13-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 AM
The Ground Truth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by crsowa
sure can, check these bad boys out...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-to-spray.html
The only thing is that the powdercoaters said the gloss may flatten out a little after a while... onlt timw will tell..
Your pipes look great, really nice job with them.

Quick Reply: Question for the powdercoating Pros