Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Thunderheader install

Ok folks, I'm having a horrible day and instead of doing something stupid, I decided to install my Thunderheader even though I don't have the cams installed yet. It's quite therapeutic. I'm not ready to kill anyone any longer. I still want a cold cold beer or 8....

I have the stock exhaust removed, exhaust gaskets removed. I'm at the point of attaching the mounting bracket underneath the clutch cover.

1) if I loosen those 4 screws underneath the clutch, am I going to lose tranny fluid. Mind you, the 4 screws are not part of the clutch cover. They lie below that.

2) The install sheet says to remove the clutch cover. I see why. The clutch cable is blocking the 4th screw just enough I can't get the allen wrench in there enough to get a good grip on it. Is this ABSOLUTELY necessary? I don't feel like draining the tranny, and having to buy another clutch cover gasket, plus more tranny fluid.

If I had a grinder I'd grind down my allen wrench to fit into the space between the clutch cable and the 4th screw.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 03-11-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no fluid loss with my rinehart bracket - but it does not involve the 4th bolt that you speak of - only the other 3 (mines an 05 but i assume the bolts are roughly in the same position)

Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You wan't lose any fluid....and here's a little tip....get out the channel locks and CAREFULLY back out the allen that the clutch cable is blocking. Just enough to let the bracket slide in. Notice that it has a cut out for that hole on the bracket. I've been doin' em this way forever. I'm sure there are those that will disagree with the method...but it works and I've never had a problem. Much better than taking the tranny end cover off and doing all that extra work!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:15 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

I appreciate that info Glide05. I'm not really in need of any Rhinehart info at this time. The thunderheader bracket utilizes 4 screws underneath the six speed clutch cover.

I think I may have come up with a slight solution to the possible tranny fluid loss problem.. Since my ground is relatively soft, I just dug about a 2"-3" deep hole and let the bike lean way over on the jiffy stand. I think I can get away with it like that.

I still have the issue of getting the allen wrench in between the clutch cable and screw head. I do have a hack saw and the thought of just cutting the wrench down to fit is possible but it's now dark and I'm not in the mood to setup my work light. Just too much to run the drop cord from the house and all that crap.

The bike looks so bare now.

No battery box/battery
No stock headers / SEII mufflers

Since the bike is outside and the exhaust ports are exposed, I stuff some rags in there to keep the moisture out.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by last saint
You wan't lose any fluid....and here's a little tip....get out the channel locks and CAREFULLY back out the allen that the clutch cable is blocking. Just enough to let the bracket slide in. Notice that it has a cut out for that hole on the bracket. I've been doin' em this way forever. I'm sure there are those that will disagree with the method...but it works and I've never had a problem. Much better than taking the tranny end cover off and doing all that extra work!
Ya know, I thought about that too. I didn't want to beat up the screw head. Thanks. I'll have to finish up tomorrow.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Here is where I am right now. Although it's dark now. [Edit] I just saw that I caught one of my cats, Yo-yo, in the photo (mid-left). He's like an ol lady. Always has to have his nose in my business.

Here is my solution to any possible fluid loss:

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 03-11-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I appreciate that info Glide05. I'm not really in need of any Rhinehart info at this time. The thunderheader bracket utilizes 4 screws underneath the six speed clutch cover.

whatever .... was simply stating that my bracket used 3 of those same bolts but not the 4th one, and I didn't experience any fluid loss while removing them... just trying to help ... I'll know better next time.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by glide05
whatever .... was simply stating that my bracket used 3 of those same bolts but not the 4th one, and I didn't experience any fluid loss while removing them... just trying to help ... I'll know better next time.
Don't get your panties in a bunch. I did say "I appreciate the info..."

Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM
sporty79
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You won't lose any fluid. Get yourself a set of T-handle ball end allen wrenches. That will let you loosen up that last bolt. I've used them countless times on other hard to reach allen bolts.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by sporty79
You won't lose any fluid. Get yourself a set of T-handle ball end allen wrenches. That will let you loosen up that last bolt. I've used them countless times on other hard to reach allen bolts.
Appreciate that Sporty. The wrenches I have are ball-end, but not t-handle. I tried fitting the ball-end in there and the angle is pretty steep. I didn't feel like I could get enough, if any, leverage on it. I'm going to try Last Saint's idea, and use a channel lock. If that doesn't work, I'll just cut my wrench down to fit in the space provided. It's pretty tight. I'll estimate it's between 3/4" and 1". I have plenty of odd wrenches from sets that are long gone. I think I can spare one.

Quick Reply: TH install