Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE A/C

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 02:03 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE A/C

I went to the dealership yesterday and wanted to pick up a High flow air cleaner for my bike. I said give the the SE one. He says are you sure. I said yeah why. Then he went and showed me what harley has done with the products they were selling. He said the old SE A/C were good. But Harley had a falling out with K&N and they now were making there own. He said the Filter that comes with the SE high flow kit is junk, and it will fall apart. The stock one was better constructed. He said he could build me a better kit from the harley parts and the K&N A/C. So instead of getting the SE kit with the inferior filter and the dull backing plate. I got a kit that he put together with the K&N filter and a chrome backing plate. made sense to me So I said lets do it. Paid the same amount and he threw in some loctite to boot.

Anyone here ever hear of this and have the same situation. Naybe I got lucky and got a good parts guy there. Or maybe I got ripped off. I am not quite sure. But his explanation seemed reliable so I went with it.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:06 PM
phreak
Road Master
Default RE: SE A/C

You've got a good parts guy because he didn't bullsh!t you.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:07 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain

so that is all true?????

Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 PM
phreak
Road Master

The newer SE paper philters are not as good as the K&N philters. That is true.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:55 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well,...... It is nice to know that there are still a few honest guys at the dealer still.

John

Old 04-26-2006, 03:00 PM
bronk
Road Master

There was a post sometime earlier about ordering the poor mans SE kit.Basically a guy had the parts breakdown for each part minus the filter element.Ordered all the parts from Zannotti parts and it came out to 76 dollars or so(lot cheaper than ordering it complete from HD.Just have to get the filter now.I dont have my bike yet and dont plan on installing filter till after 500 mile break in.STill debating if I want to go with a KN because I heard a few stories about filter element getting holes in it.Have some time yet so still doing homework on it.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:07 PM
mcurry5
Road Captain

the K&N is 50 bucks, says its a lifetime piece, well 1million miles. seems like a lifetime to me.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Actually, the crappy paper filter has since been upgraded a bit - although still not as good as the K&N. Most new A/C kits will have this revised filter. It's a black rimmed element with a mesh thing around it. This is not to be confused with the older black-rimmed one. This is what my parts guy explained to me. I have it on my Bob.

Still, it was nice that your parts guy took care of you.

Whiff

Old 04-26-2006, 03:22 PM
phreak
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bronk

There was a post sometime earlier about ordering the poor mans SE kit.Basically a guy had the parts breakdown for each part minus the filter element.Ordered all the parts from Zannotti parts and it came out to 76 dollars or so(lot cheaper than ordering it complete from HD.Just have to get the filter now.I dont have my bike yet and dont plan on installing filter till after 500 mile break in.STill debating if I want to go with a KN because I heard a few stories about filter element getting holes in it.Have some time yet so still doing homework on it.
The paper SE philters are the ones developing holes, not the K&Ns

Old 04-26-2006, 03:28 PM
RWP
Cruiser

That was the way I went, thru my dealer. Cost was around $75.00 for the backing plate and K&N filter.

ORIGINAL: bronk

Quick Reply: SE A/C