Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear performance shock comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:13 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YSS has 2 year, no questions guarantee.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rounder - excellent point on Works - I hadnt relaized that
Im in complete agreemnt witht he 412s, which is why I really didnt consdier them on here - I dont know much about the 418s so I did put them up for trial by fire if so necessary :')

please feel free to add others and their benefits/detriments

i really wanna here of guys that have the works and ohlins in this comparison currently or prior to give real world feedback too!

thanks guys for comments so far

Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,817 Likes on 13,472 Posts

How about listing the price also in your feedback.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:57 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blackmopar
rounder - excellent point on Works - I hadnt relaized that
Im in complete agreemnt witht he 412s, which is why I really didnt consdier them on here - I dont know much about the 418s so I did put them up for trial by fire if so necessary :')

please feel free to add others and their benefits/detriments

i really wanna here of guys that have the works and ohlins in this comparison currently or prior to give real world feedback too!

thanks guys for comments so far
Thanks. the problem with real world feedback is it is subjective.
I want to use the difference in 2 autos for comparison. Say you narrow down your next family car to the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. You can get all the feedback praising one over the other. thing is each car is quite a bit different in the way they ride and handle. Your personal preference is the deciding factor between the two. I don't really know if a properly set up Works tracker rides any much differently than a Ohlin or Yss, but if they do, your preference will completely lie on which you feel you like better. This is regardless of who has better technology. The thing about Works, If they send you an Accord and you wanted a Toyota, they will modify the shock to feel more like a Toyota.
This was just something I thought about and it may not really apply with Motorcycle shocks. I could be way off base with this, just thought I would throw it out there.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

prog 440's arent all that great! Would like to try something else!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I ordered my Ohlins, I immediately had buyers remorse, I was sure i had spent way too much, and they could never be worth it.

After installing them, and riding a few hundred miles in the twisties and on the crappy Ca freeways, I think they were one of single best mods I have ever done on any bike I have owned over the last 45 years. The difference was better than I hoped for.

Still expensive as all get out though. With a "blow out" sale at Hard Racing they were just under $1,000 delivered. Howard at FastHarley has some great pricing as well, but thsy are still twice the others.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FXDX take offs would be the poor mans answer. Plenty of FXDX and FXDXT owners that wanted a lower more traditional look and took those 13 inchers off and swapped em out for something else. Also if your looking for a more plush ride and a little more ground clearance a set of Electraglide shocks will get the job done cheap. And still if you want a softer ride without the extra hieght of the FLH shocks there's 12" Street Glide take offs and knock offs of those as well. I should also mention that pretty much any of the above air shocks will ride better than Progressive 412s for less money. I also don't think my Heavy duty 412s ride all that bad, it's not like I'm motocrossing the thing.

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 03-11-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally, you want a shock that is sprung for your weight and riding style, you want a shock that reacts to uneven surfaces fluidly, you want a shock that is adjustable, preload for extra weight, they all have that, rebound, so you adjust out how fast it comes back up so it won't feel "bouncy", too stiff or too much rebound you'll lose traction, compression, how fast it goes down, most people leave it at the softest setting, then you have to adjust the front and rear sag, I'm no "expert" there's lot's of people who know more than I do, living in the PNW, I get caught in the rain a lot so I set rear sag to 14MM, this helps traction, front 30MM, both static. This works for me and my weight and riding style, not saying it will be right for you. There is a huge benefit to throwing on high quality rear shocks, but without addressing the front you are only doing half the battle, they kinda have to work together. I am so pleased with all the threads about suspension of late, I kinda wasted some money getting to where I really like the handling of my bike, I wish I knew then what I know now.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SPECIAL ED
FXDX take offs would be the poor mans answer. Plenty of FXDX and FXDXT owners that wanted a lower more traditional look and took those 13 inchers off and swapped em out for something else. Also if your looking for a more plush ride and a little more ground clearance a set of Electraglide shocks will get the job done cheap. And still if you want a softer ride without the extra hieght of the FLH shocks there's 12" Street Glide take offs and knock offs of those as well. I should also mention that pretty much any of the above air shocks will ride better than Progressive 412s for less money. I also don't think my Heavy duty 412s ride all that bad, it's not like I'm motocrossing the thing.
I was just going to mention those FXDX take-offs. That's exactly how I got mine. Paid $160 on Ebay, and they were local so I picked them up. So far, I love them, for the price, they can't be beat IMO. I'd love to get some Works shocks in the future, but for now I just can't justify it.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:27 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain

do you need to space the fxdx shocks or are they dorcet bolt on? im not fearful of fabrication - just curious - Always wondered why they wouldnt fit truthfully.

im all about poor man alternatives - and this is exactly my intent for this post - get some idas flowin!

Special Ed - truth be known, i guess im not totally dis-satisifed with my hd412s (how much you weigh? Im 245 if I dont eat breakfst :')) and im runnign them on setting 3 - middle setting- but when I hit a good bump it sends me outta the saddle - addmittedly, this is coupled with a fricken ROCK of a front end that needs to be fixed.

Ive just been reading alot lately about true suspension - and how much it can help push harder - plus at the 11 inch height, i drag mid control peg around every corner!

Quick Reply: rear performance shock comparison