Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*******countersteering*******

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking countersteering is natural, as many pointed out and most riders that last do it instinctively; however I think the terminology as general usage is only a couple of years old and is a little bit teacher-speak-like. I do like to do it and feel the bike responding to a small effort though.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 03-17-2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by creekhed1
The most important lesson I have ever learned was (from a Nascar driver) to ALWAYS LOOK AT THE POINT YOU WANT TO GET TO!!!!
NEVER EVER look at the point you want to AVOID. When entering a turn FOCUS on the APEX. If you start washing out towards the outside of the turn DO NOT look at the outside of the turn (the point that your eyes are going t6o want to fixate on) but rather fixate on the APEX.
This also works with tight situations like getting between two tight obstacles. You going to want to look at the OBSTACLE....DON'T!!!! Look at the point between the obstacles that you want the bike to get to.
Simple stuff really, but it goes against what the human body would normally do so it takes a bit of practice. I have found this advise to be invaluable. I thought I'd pass it on!!!

As a matter of fact I think Ill start a thread with this in it.
These are very important observations and go counter to most people's natural reactions, so they need to be learned and practiced to become new habits.

1. Look where you want to go, not where you want to avoid. The hands follow the eyes and you will hit the thing you are trying to avoid if you look at it.

Jerry Palladino teaches this very strongly in Ride Like a Pro V.

Very good point!

Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
I'm thinking countersteering is natural, as many pointed out and most riders that last do it instinctively; however I think the terminology as general usage is only a couple of years old and is a little bit teacher-speak-like. I do like to do it and feel the bike responding to a small effort though.
It has been talked about for a long time Keith Code has been writing about it for over 25 years get a copy of twist of the wrist.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

Originally Posted by turn8a
It has been talked about for a long time Keith Code has been writing about it for over 25 years get a copy of twist of the wrist.
Sure, I believe you, but I never heard of it until recently. Didn't hear of Keith Code, either.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 AM
turn8a
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
Sure, I believe you, but I never heard of it until recently. Didn't hear of Keith Code, either.
He is the owner of the california super bike school that teaches performance riding for the street or track.
http://www.superbikeschool.com/

you can get copies of his books or videos cheap on ebay.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so... just got back from ridin round the country side, lots of swoopy turns and such... and i paid attention to how i drive around...when making a right turn, i find that i will push down( towards the ground ) on the right handlebar, causing the bike to tip over, tho the handlebars themselves dont really turn... the effect is that the bike leans over, me not so much... it seems i will allow the bike to more or less move underneath me while i more or less stay upright... is this countersteering?

Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MuddBugg
so... just got back from ridin round the country side, lots of swoopy turns and such... and i paid attention to how i drive around...when making a right turn, i find that i will push down( towards the ground ) on the right handlebar, causing the bike to tip over, tho the handlebars themselves dont really turn... the effect is that the bike leans over, me not so much... it seems i will allow the bike to more or less move underneath me while i more or less stay upright... is this countersteering?
basically - yes. the bars turn only very slightly; you wouldnt actually notice it. When pushing "down" you are likely actually pushing ever so slightly forward as well - if you focus on the "forward" push you should notice a huge difference.....

Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
MuddBugg
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool, glad to know its not some wierd thing i have to go learn... tho i will pay attention to and practice this aspect more often...

Old 03-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Pop Pop
Cruiser

Just a personal note from an old biker from the 60's. This works, just a new name for us. Went to rider class with my son, thought I knew everything till this came up.

Later while riding with the wife, caught a hairpin too hard. I'd always struggled with the tight fast moves. Pushed hard on the right, smooth as silk right around and IN MY LANE. We learned literally by the seat of our pants, and it has limitations. Too fast and you drift out of your line.

Look up where you want to go and either pull left or push right to go right. Guaranteed to work. It gives more control.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
nathanw
Road Warrior

Counter steering is the only way you can ride a motorcycle, you are doing it whether you realize it or not, period.
Try going around a turn with your hands off the grips just using your weight to turn the bike, it wont happen. Try turning the bars the same way you turn a steering wheel, you will go the opposite direction. You cant argue with physics.

Quick Reply: *******countersteering*******