Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with rear shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
wafu321
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Go with the black ones. I installed the Black Trackers a couple years ago and have been very happy with them.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:58 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rounder, I originally planned on one of these shocks and also agonized on which ones to get. From the pic of your bike, you still have a fair amount of chrome, is your plan to leave it this way, or black more stuff? If the plan is to black the turn signals, switch gear, etc, I would go with the black ones. The way the bike is now (in the pic) I like the chrome ones (are they chrome, steel or aluminum..they look like the street trackers?). I'm not real into chrome, but a billet finish might look super.

Last edited by gregbenner; 03-10-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:32 AM
r00k
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chrome.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
first ones... those are some killer shocks.... what are they man!
they are works performance shocks. The 1st. is a street tracker and the second is the black tracker.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
MLWilson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rounder, the left shock is a single spring, the black tracker is a dual rate springs. I went with the DRS and love them. Also, when talking with Works if I wanted a shock less than 12"'s it would be a single rate spring. I went with 12" shocks and use 1" lowering blocks. I need to update sig picture because it shows stock shocks. Mark

Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MLWilson
Rounder, the left shock is a single spring, the black tracker is a dual rate springs. I went with the DRS and love them. Also, when talking with Works if I wanted a shock less than 12"'s it would be a single rate spring. I went with 12" shocks and use 1" lowering blocks. I need to update sig picture because it shows stock shocks. Mark
Yeah I know one of the pictures is single rate and the other is dual. I just pulled each from their website as an idea of would all black or black with the polished look better on the bike. Ultimately either shock can be had with dual or single spring options.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been seriously debating the same thing - but then again the ohlins have my eye too - Id be interested in seeing a works vs ohlin test - im pretty sure both works are offered in dual rate arent they, but yea I saw only in 12 inch - I too want lower, but I STRONGLY caution against lowering blocks - I had a set on my bike - nailed a pothole at about 95 on the short 'offroad' stretch they call the 60 in between the 215 - long story short bent lowering tab, shock tower, and swingarm on the mess
Not so much blaming the tab for all the destruction, but seeing how twisted it got under the impact and the point it fails, scared the **** outta me using them ever again
and with a performance shock intended to allow more agressive riding, just dont think its a good idea - kinda like doin lifting blocks to go rock crawling aint it? thats my 10 cents anyway - each his own

congrats on having the coin for the works shocks! really wish i did!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
Which one of the two styles of shock do you think will look better? I can't really decide.
the black ones look way better IMHO

Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
they are the same shock only one is all black and one is not(either shock can be had with the single or dual rate springs). The Ohlins you have (36E) look about the same as the street trackers above So with that in mind They are really my 1st choice.
rounder The shocks in chrome are a linear wound spring and the black are a dual rate shock. They are a different set up completely.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understood it as rounder was using the pictures for reference, Works states that both the steel tracker and black trackers have a drs option - Fast Harley, in your opinion how do their DRS shocks compare to the ohlin drs (not the mud version in recent threads) something like the S36E maybe?
whats performance and cost comparison?

(sorry rounder if Im stealing your thread)

Quick Reply: help with rear shocks.