Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Shaft Forward Control Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009 | 03:51 PM
1919lrxc
Intermediate

The only thing that sucks it that the older kit is now more expensive that the new, and it only comes in chrome!

Old 08-21-2010 | 08:53 PM
CincyRider
Cruiser

Scott db, thanks for posting that info! I bought the '06 forwards kit forthe '10 FXDC to put on this weekend. Got em on Friday but was very difficult to put in to neutral just moving the bike around. (didn't pull the primaries or change out the rear shifter arm)

I saw this thread and changed out the rear shifter arm, took about two hours but could've taken 5 minutes, I just wasn't working it right. Got the longer shifter arm on that came with the kit and was getting excited to finally ride with forwards on this bike.

As I moved the shifting rod under the tank and over the horn, the damn thing broke--snapped right off at the ball joint!

That rod is a piece if junk! Hope the dealership is open tomorrow...

Anyway it's not that bad, good to do if the bike's got issues finding neutral like stock.

Last edited by CincyRider; 08-21-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2011 | 02:46 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by CincyRider
Scott db, thanks for posting that info! I bought the '06 forwards kit forthe '10 FXDC to put on this weekend. Got em on Friday but was very difficult to put in to neutral just moving the bike around. (didn't pull the primaries or change out the rear shifter arm)

I saw this thread and changed out the rear shifter arm, took about two hours but could've taken 5 minutes, I just wasn't working it right. Got the longer shifter arm on that came with the kit and was getting excited to finally ride with forwards on this bike.

As I moved the shifting rod under the tank and over the horn, the damn thing broke--snapped right off at the ball joint!

That rod is a piece if junk! Hope the dealership is open tomorrow...

Anyway it's not that bad, good to do if the bike's got issues finding neutral like stock.
I realize this post is several months old, but I have a question on the lever removal. I just bought a new FXDC and refuse to pay the dealer $300+ for labor for forward controls. I'd like to use the 06 and up kit. I have the lever loose enough to slide out on the shaft, but not open enough to rotate on the shaft and there's no way it's going to come off. When you opened up the lever clamp, was it loose enough to ROTATE on the shaft? I'm not sure how much I can open the lever up without breaking it. Thanks, AL