Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter Shaft Forward Control Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009 | 06:40 AM
scott_db
Cruiser

I change the rear shift arm over the weekend. Left the primary on and used a bent screw driver to loosen the arm. After about 10 I was going to give up and then the arm just slid off, the new one slid on with no difficulty. Now the bike goes into neutral where before it was near impossible. The project was supper easy, would recommend this to any one that has not replaced the rear shift arm. Total time half of an hour and twenty dollars.

Old 03-24-2009 | 07:41 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimw411
Same here. Had done the forward controls on my '06 the right way by removing the primary. On my wifes '07 she was nagging me to hurry and put the forwards on but i didn't have alot of time so i left the shaft. It was almost imposible to get it in neutral. I pulled to primary the next weekend to finish the job and the matched up the stock shifter arm on the trans and the one in the kit are different. The one in the kit is longer and after i changed it it fixed the neutral problem.

A tip for a clean look if you want to leave the shaft in. I just dabbed a little elmers glue on the shaft and pushed it in and rotated the arm towards the engine so it was out of the way, and the shaft will go in far enough to sit flush with the primary.
I guess you didn't see the below . Funny how Harley Davidson designed a forward control kit where you have to remove the primary to replace a rear shift lever (only per Harley Davidson's instructions), but on their 2005 and earlier kit you don't have to remove the primary (per Harley Davidson's instructions). Why do you think they did that?

Originally Posted by Frozen Crome
I took every ones advice and did it my self. I did not have to split the primary at all. First I took the shift lever off and slid the shaft to the inside and used a pnumatic hack saw with a normal hacksaw blade and guided it with my finger and riped right through the shaft and pulled it out. I did have to unplug the spark plug wires and move them out of the way. I then loosened the trans shifter arm and with a 90 degree screwdriver I was able to pry the splines open a little bit. I tiped the top of the shifter arm towards the engine and there was enough clearance to sneak it out. The new shaft was already was never compressed so I did not have to pry it at all I just put it down in there at an angel and it slid right on no problem and I did not have to force anything it went right together about an hour and a half.

Old 04-08-2009 | 01:16 PM
yoseppi
Tourer

Thanks for the info, by any chance do you have the part number for the 06 & earlier kit?

On another note, for people just wanting to install the forwards on an 07 & up Dyna without pulling the primary, is it advisable to buy the 06 & earlier kit to avoid the neutral issue?

Seems many people are running into the touchy neutral issue when not pulling the primary.

Thanks for any help, and hopefully this post answers questions for future people doing this method.

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
You would have to change the front lever, using one from the 05 and earlier kit, or drill another mounting hole (lower on the front shift lever) that the shift rod connectors to.

Old 04-08-2009 | 01:21 PM
yoseppi
Tourer

OK wait, you basically just slowly pried the stock rear shifter shaft off of the splines behind the primary, and just installed the new one that came in the kit, and the neutral problem went away?

This "bent screwdriver" anyone have a pic of how to bend one to optimally reach the old shifter shaft. I'd gladly do this method instead of buying another shorter front shifter shaft.

Didn't see this explanation before I made my earlier reply.

Originally Posted by scott_db
I change the rear shift arm over the weekend. Left the primary on and used a bent screw driver to loosen the arm. After about 10 I was going to give up and then the arm just slid off, the new one slid on with no difficulty. Now the bike goes into neutral where before it was near impossible. The project was supper easy, would recommend this to any one that has not replaced the rear shift arm. Total time half of an hour and twenty dollars.

Old 04-09-2009 | 03:55 AM
scott_db
Cruiser

I don't have a pick but the screwdriver was something that I bought. I must have had it for 20 years so cant remember where it came from. The bend is about one inch in and if you don't heat the screw driver it could break. I also used a very small pry bar to help. Good luck, it was worth the little time it I spent on doing this.

Old 04-09-2009 | 06:13 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I used the '05 kit on my '06.

I left the shifter shaft in for about 2 years with no problems...the '05 kit has a piece to bolt the shaft into place similiar to wedging it behind an engione bolt.

It also comes with a cap for the end of the shifter that's held on with a set screw.

When I went to put my chrome primary on, I tried to use the hacksaw, but it was cold and taking too long so I used a cutting wheel inside the primary. Fluid was already drained and I lined it with towels to keep out debris.

I basically left the shaft in the rear part since nobody will even see it, and it plugs the hole. I bought a chrome plug that fit into the primary hole and used some sealer on it...been working just fine for em.

Old 04-11-2009 | 11:01 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by yoseppi
Thanks for the info, by any chance do you have the part number for the 06 & earlier kit?

On another note, for people just wanting to install the forwards on an 07 & up Dyna without pulling the primary, is it advisable to buy the 06 & earlier kit to avoid the neutral issue?

Seems many people are running into the touchy neutral issue when not pulling the primary.

Thanks for any help, and hopefully this post answers questions for future people doing this method.
I've been using the 05 and earlier kit with no issues, and have posted instructions over and over again with part numbers for the 05 and earlier kit. Some have followed my instructions but got the 06 kit and have had problems finding neutral.

Apparently Harley Davidson has made the front shifter lever longer on the 06 and later kits, in my opinion they designed the 06 and later kit with instructions to remove the primary, maybe to scare owners into having the dealer do the install $$. Also noticed the 05 and earlier kit is now the same price as the 06 and later kit, the 05 and earlier kit used to be cheaper, and doesn't require removing the primary.

Also the rear shift lever can be removed without removing the primary, so maybe Harley Davidson can design the rear shift lever mount in the kit wider so you can't install it without removing the primary.

Get the 05 and earlier kit, and a better custom shift rod with heim joints for a 06 and later set up.

Old 04-11-2009 | 11:29 AM
SGMAN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scott_db
Man I would really like to know how you did this cause I have looked and I don't see how in the world you would have enough room to remove the rear shift arm. What year of bike is this? Mine is a 08. Think you should take some pics.

Thanks

Old 04-11-2009 | 11:43 AM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by WS6 Formula
I guess you didn't see the below . Funny how Harley Davidson designed a forward control kit where you have to remove the primary to replace a rear shift lever (only per Harley Davidson's instructions), but on their 2005 and earlier kit you don't have to remove the primary (per Harley Davidson's instructions). Why do you think they did that?
Jim, I know exactly why.
So you have the opportunity to change the inner primary bearing. Ya got the somnabit apart, why not do it?

Old 04-12-2009 | 06:14 AM
scott_db
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SGMAN
Man I would really like to know how you did this cause I have looked and I don't see how in the world you would have enough room to remove the rear shift arm. What year of bike is this? Mine is a 08. Think you should take some pics.

Thanks
The bike is an 2006 super glide. The shifter shaft hole about 3/4 of the way through gets lager. The increased diameter is what allows it to tilt before the arm is completely off the shaft. I looked at this for weeks thinking there was no way it would work. I decided that there was nothing to lose by trying, this is my wife's bike and the neutral problem had to be fixed.

Quick Reply: Shifter Shaft Forward Control Removal