Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grooves in Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:23 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Grooves in Wheel Spacers

There have been several threads over time about orientation of wheel spacers, and whether the grooves go toward the wheel or away. I did a little experimentation on my own and I thought I’d let everyone know what my findings were. The service manual gives no reference to the spacers and which way they go.

The first time I had the wheels off for new tires, I didn't pay any attention to the spacers. When I went to put it all back together, I noticed grooves cut in one end of each spacer. I did a search and got conflicting statements to which way they go. Most saying it makes no difference. So I put everything together and ended up with a growling sound coming from the wheels when I went into a hard corner. Knowing what little I do, the sound resembled excessive side loading of the bearings while cornering. Since I’ve been doing some wheel work recently, I figured this was the time to investigate this further.

When the spacer grooves are pointed away from the wheel hub, the growl is intense, no matter which way you’re cornering. You can feel the growl in the grips. When one spacer gets turned around, the growl is more noticeable turning one way and not so much in the other. If the rear wheel is affected, you can feel it in the frame, transmitted up through the seat. When the grooves are oriented inward, pointing at the axle hub, theres no noise and no vibration while cornering.

I’ve mic’d the spacers and cant find anything different, so I understand why some say theres no difference bout how they go in. There IS a difference, however subtle it may be.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:38 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the info. I have my wheel off right now. I paid attention to the grooves when I disassembled, but the weird thing is I have a groove on the small spacer only. The spacer for the primary side has no groove. I don't know what's up with that, but if I get any growling I know to swap it around -- thanks again.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:37 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noticed mine yesterday when i was putting my fender back on i have groves on both spacers and they are facing out away from the bearings, my wheel has never been off the bike and i have never noticed anything while cornering. But i will be puting a duce solid wheel on soon and ill try them the other way just check it out. My 06 street bob did not have any groves in the spacers so i just cant see what difference it would make.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:04 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kk6pg
There have been several threads over time about orientation of wheel spacers, and whether the grooves go toward the wheel or away. I did a little experimentation on my own and I thought I’d let everyone know what my findings were. The service manual gives no reference to the spacers and which way they go.

The first time I had the wheels off for new tires, I didn't pay any attention to the spacers. When I went to put it all back together, I noticed grooves cut in one end of each spacer. I did a search and got conflicting statements to which way they go. Most saying it makes no difference. So I put everything together and ended up with a growling sound coming from the wheels when I went into a hard corner. Knowing what little I do, the sound resembled excessive side loading of the bearings while cornering. Since I’ve been doing some wheel work recently, I figured this was the time to investigate this further.

When the spacer grooves are pointed away from the wheel hub, the growl is intense, no matter which way you’re cornering. You can feel the growl in the grips. When one spacer gets turned around, the growl is more noticeable turning one way and not so much in the other. If the rear wheel is affected, you can feel it in the frame, transmitted up through the seat. When the grooves are oriented inward, pointing at the axle hub, theres no noise and no vibration while cornering.

I’ve mic’d the spacers and cant find anything different, so I understand why some say theres no difference bout how they go in. There IS a difference, however subtle it may be.
On my 2000 FXDX Super Glide Sport with mags I only have a groove around the brake caliper side spacer. I dont remember which way the groove was before I disassembled it, but I ended up installing the groove toward the bearing. The Pulley side spacer had no markings at all.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

The spacer grooves are there so the plant worker can identify what length spacer he/she is grabbing out of the parts bin. They serve no purpose other than that.

Their primary function is just as a spacer. I've got dozens of custom length ones I lathed up out of aluminum stock that work just as well as factory. Don't be overthinking it.

The following users liked this post:
Galicie Ponticlavius (11-27-2020)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:51 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank You for the Reply

Old 07-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba10jdl
The spacer grooves are there so the plant worker can identify what length spacer he/she is grabbing out of the parts bin. They serve no purpose other than that.

Their primary function is just as a spacer. I've got dozens of custom length ones I lathed up out of aluminum stock that work just as well as factory. Don't be overthinking it.
Well finally a level head! I was just out doing stuff to my'12 FB and remembered this post! Just for kicks I looked for grooves in the spacers! The right side rear spacer has a groove and it is inboard! The left rear has no groove at all! The left front has (get this) 4 grooves...1 close to center and 3 to the outboard side! The right front has no grooves! If this guy hears growling then it is time to stop for lunch!