Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diffrentce between a dyna custom and a low rider

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD 472
It doesn't make much sence to buy the fxdc then spend who knows how much to make it look like a fxdl. moco would love ya It's all in what you want.
Sorry, but I don't think it costs a dime to make them look the same...harley did it for free. Other than the black motor, they look identicle. If I had the extra money and was choosing between the two, then I would choose the lowrider for the black motor. But if money is an issue or you like the silver motor...FXDC hands down. Sorry.

As for everyone harping about the extra rake (which really isn't alot to begin with), that isn't particularly a plus for those who ride the dogsh!t out of there bikes and want them to turn a little faster.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:28 PM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont understand why it bothers so many people that one Dyna model is more expensive that another. You should be HAPPY that there is a Dyna you like that's 2 grand cheaper, than railing against the LR because it lists for more money, especially if you feel cosmetically, that they are identical. Plus, you should be happy you were fortunate enough to have a CHOICE between the models. The Short statured riders Have NO CHOICE.
What ever Dyna model was your final choice, and for what ever reason just remember, we're all family. Lets enjoy the heck out of our bikes!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

I just can't stand that silver motor...The black is so much nicer IMHO.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 AM
creekhed1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the FXD came stock with a Black motor I would have bought one instead of the FXDL I ended up with. That was THE major factor in my decision.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:37 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LWOS
I dont understand why it bothers so many people that one Dyna model is more expensive that another. You should be HAPPY that there is a Dyna you like that's 2 grand cheaper, than railing against the LR because it lists for more money, especially if you feel cosmetically, that they are identical. Plus, you should be happy you were fortunate enough to have a CHOICE between the models. The Short statured riders Have NO CHOICE.
What ever Dyna model was your final choice, and for what ever reason just remember, we're all family. Lets enjoy the heck out of our bikes!!!
This is something that bothers me. Short riders DO HAVE A CHOICE. It's called having the dealer install shorter suspension before you pick up the bike. You could have shocks way better than stock harley shocks, even shorter than lowrider shocks...starting at only $200. The low height really shouldn't be a selling point. Now that awesome green paint you have, that is a selling point!!! That green is awesome, and again the black motor looks clean on your bike too.

As far as having a choice...I bought through military sales overseas and all they could get me was a Superglide. I didn't have a choice, so I just modded mine without spending a whole lot of money.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 PM
roadhouse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devils haircut
+1
IMHO that was a horrible comparison. The low and custom are very simular in style and are both chromed out. Alot of guys go with forwards, so highway pegs on the low don't matter if you make the swap, AND they are both setup for 2-up riding. My super glide would take alot of cash to chrome out, plus I would have to set it up for a passenger. Swap tanks to get the speedo off the bars...hell, you could almost build another bike with all the take off parts to get an fxd to look like an fxdc. Fortunately, I don't want a FXDC or a lowrider!
are thows short shots with heat tape, wered u get the tank lift

Old 03-15-2009, 02:32 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

Originally Posted by devils haircut
This is something that bothers me. Short riders DO HAVE A CHOICE. It's called having the dealer install shorter suspension before you pick up the bike. You could have shocks way better than stock harley shocks, even shorter than lowrider shocks...starting at only $200. The low height really shouldn't be a selling point. Now that awesome green paint you have, that is a selling point!!! That green is awesome, and again the black motor looks clean on your bike too.

As far as having a choice...I bought through military sales overseas and all they could get me was a Superglide. I didn't have a choice, so I just modded mine without spending a whole lot of money.
Green bikes are supposed to be bad luck. Has anyone heard that before?

Old 03-15-2009, 03:17 AM
LWOS
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the compliment on my Jolly Green Machine. I've heard that too about Green Bikes!!! So far, mine has brought me nothing but good luck.......maybe because I'm part Irish that I'm attracted to green. My Husband and my Daughter both have the Dragonfly Green & Vivid Black 2006 Heritage Softail Classics.
Only 61 Dyna Low Riders were produced in this limited edition color world wide. Our bikes are easy to pick out of a crowd.......that's for sure.

As for short people "HAVING A CHOICE" ......I still have to disagree somewhat.....and here's why. I tried sitting on a Softail Deluxe....but couldnt get my legs out past the primary on the left and the pipes on the right to reach the ground.....the seat was too wide for my thigh area. I literally coudn't reach the forward controls. Lower it too much and the floorboards will scrape and you'll bottom out. Short inseamed people have real problems reaching forward controls.

Lastly why should you plunk down some serious cash ($19,000 was my out the door price) and have to spend more money modifying it? That was my point. Harley should make a bike that doesn't need to be drastically lowered or have mid controls installed to replace forward controls. It cost me just under $900.00 to have mine lowered with 11" progressive shocks and a progressive front fork lowering kit and the labor to do it all. If you get lower shocks, you really should get the front forks lowered as well, to maintain you're center of gravity. My bike is lowered so much for me to reach the ground that If I lean into a curve, I'm scraping my pegs. If I add some serious luggage, I'll really bottom out unless I stiffen the ride to be like a board.
Now I know other bikes mfg make a few that have a seat height of 25.3" and aren't wide in the body and don't use forward controls.

So in reality..... to walk into a dealer like most people and pick out a bike that you can ride "AS IS"...... short people ( under 5'4") really dont have that many models to pick from.

BTW...... I also like the looks of the black fins on the engine. Just sets the rest of the bike off I think.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HarleypsychRN
Green bikes are supposed to be bad luck. Has anyone heard that before?
Yeah I've heard it before, but green is badass. My favorite stock paint scheme is the dragonfly green/vivid balack combo like WS6formula's lowrider.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:27 AM
devils haircut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by LWOS
Thanks for the compliment on my Jolly Green Machine. I've heard that too about Green Bikes!!! So far, mine has brought me nothing but good luck.......maybe because I'm part Irish that I'm attracted to green. My Husband and my Daughter both have the Dragonfly Green & Vivid Black 2006 Heritage Softail Classics.
Only 61 Dyna Low Riders were produced in this limited edition color world wide. Our bikes are easy to pick out of a crowd.......that's for sure.

As for short people "HAVING A CHOICE" ......I still have to disagree somewhat.....and here's why. I tried sitting on a Softail Deluxe....but couldnt get my legs out past the primary on the left and the pipes on the right to reach the ground.....the seat was too wide for my thigh area. I literally coudn't reach the forward controls. Lower it too much and the floorboards will scrape and you'll bottom out. Short inseamed people have real problems reaching forward controls.

Lastly why should you plunk down some serious cash ($19,000 was my out the door price) and have to spend more money modifying it? That was my point. Harley should make a bike that doesn't need to be drastically lowered or have mid controls installed to replace forward controls. It cost me just under $900.00 to have mine lowered with 11" progressive shocks and a progressive front fork lowering kit and the labor to do it all. If you get lower shocks, you really should get the front forks lowered as well, to maintain you're center of gravity. My bike is lowered so much for me to reach the ground that If I lean into a curve, I'm scraping my pegs. If I add some serious luggage, I'll really bottom out unless I stiffen the ride to be like a board.
Now I know other bikes mfg make a few that have a seat height of 25.3" and aren't wide in the body and don't use forward controls.

So in reality..... to walk into a dealer like most people and pick out a bike that you can ride "AS IS"...... short people ( under 5'4") really dont have that many models to pick from.

BTW...... I also like the looks of the black fins on the engine. Just sets the rest of the bike off I think.
Have you considered stilts or platform shoes???

Here is my final opinion on the matter. The lowrider is the "prettiest" dyna...the superglide custom is a VERY close second for WAY less cash. It all boils down to what those few extras are worth to you. The black motor is king! Very few debate this...but alot of folks aren't willing to pay an extra $2k for it. Now if only I could get a set of those dragonfly green tins for my bike!

Quick Reply: Diffrentce between a dyna custom and a low rider