Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel paint experiment

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM
bigVtwin88
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wheel paint experiment

Anyone try painting their own mag wheels? I looked around and didn't find much of anything. I'm planning to have my mags powdercoated black and the guy's just gonna media blast em down anyways, so I'm thinking of trying some rattle can antics. My idea is to mask off the machined part of the wheels and only paint the rough cast part of the wheel with something heavy duty like engine or caliper paint. What do you guys think? Will it stick?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it can be done PM (personal message) member JRK5892 i know he has done it on a cafe build that he is working on right now.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:47 AM
juspasnthru
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to Paint my Wheels, I would use a good paint-if you are going to do the work, why not do it right? Scuff them w/180, then Epoxy Prime and use a good single stage catalyzed Paint-it will last a long time, have Chemical resistance and be durable-better yet, since it's a single stage it won't show scratches like a BC/CC Paint can, and you could sand/buff out small imperfections-

Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

first... JUSpasnthru SICK BIKE!!!! jsut beautiful!

i have shot several wheels in rustoleum appliance epoxy... i sand them with 400 grit (after i strip the clear with air craft stripper) then light cloats... comes out awesome! i shot my buddies honda shadow 1100 as well as my cafe build... since i posted how i did mine several other of my buddies shot their cafe mags on older yamaha's and hondas and it is holding up GREAT! all in the prep work... but it comes out insane! the silver that they sell is awesome looking and has a bit of a flake to it! but the black is a spot on match for high gloss black powder... the white is spot on for high gloss white... i have yet to shoot the cream, but i plan on doing that sometime in the future for a buddy that wants a bike painted after a radio flyer wagon... it works and holds up very well!
here are my spokes i did on my cafe:
before:

all cleaned up and wiped down with acidtone (denatured alchole will work just as well)

taped up:

painted:

done:

on the scoot:

Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 AM
juspasnthru
Cruiser

JRK5892,

Thank you so very much for the compliment! Love the look of your Bike-

Old 03-04-2009, 09:05 AM
JRK5892
Banned

anytime man! someday i will own one! blows my mind how many dyna riders dont know about the sturgis edition or the FX superglides that started our crazy family of dyna's!
LOVE the sturgis edition, that is where i got A TON of the ideas for my bike (like the red combo and wheel stripes) love that bike!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:12 AM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

On my 07FXD, I hand polished the smooth outer part of the wheels, and then rattle canned the rough part, I think that is what you suggest. I like it, and so far has held up great

Price was great too

Attached Thumbnails wheel paint experiment-img_3900.jpg  
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gregbenner
On my 07FXD, I hand polished the smooth outer part of the wheels, and then rattle canned the rough part, I think that is what you suggest. I like it, and so far has held up great

Price was great too
They look great.
Just to confirm, you had to remove the clearcoat and polish them.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
jordanball33
Road Master

hell can you do the whole wheel on a spoke wheel?? id do the ones on my street bob if that was the case or maybe do the outside and leave the spokes chrome like the 08s, cuz i definately want black wheels just cant afford powdercoating atleast til summer

Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
JRK5892
Banned

Originally Posted by gregbenner

Price was great too
ya buddy! that looks great!!!
Jordan i do not see why that would not work... just scuff that chrome up really really well! if not nothing will stick to it!

Quick Reply: wheel paint experiment