Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey grape ape!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 11:35 AM
hd_sob
|
Road Master
Default Hey grape ape!

Wuz just wunderin', did ya get them bags installed w/the Motherwell rack? If so, please post some pics for us...THANKS!

STeve

Old 04-24-2006 | 12:34 PM
grape ape
Tourer
Default RE: Hey grape ape!

Sure did. I took a few pics yesterday and was gonna post them, but then the weather cleared up -- so went riding instead! I'll post them tonight after work. One thing I noticed after mounting the rack is that the yoke to the saddlebags does not go up flush to the back of the seat like it did without the rack. Doesn't really make a big difference, just that the bags don't align as nicely against the shocks as without the rack, but it's very minor. I had to scrap the mouse pad idea for the back of the yoke because it was such a tight fit under the rack. I lined it with fleece (an old scarf) instead.

Old 04-24-2006 | 12:45 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

Did ya drill out the yoke and mount the rack bolt thru it or stick it between the rack and seat bolts? Looking forward to the pics...

Old 04-24-2006 | 01:18 PM
grape ape
Tourer

The front bolt for the rack and the seat bolt are one and the same. So I just set the yoke directly behind that. The rack has about a 1 inch square chrome part that sets right behind the seat where the bolt goes through, which is why the bags set back a bit further than when I had tried them on without the rack.

Old 04-24-2006 | 01:33 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: grape ape
The rack has about a 1 inch square chrome part...
Yeh, thats the one I was referring to...I was thinking perhaps place the yoke on the fender where you WANT it, then drill a hole in it so the rack can be mounted on top of it (remove the little foam pad)...Thus helping to hold it in place and also centered on the fender.

I have that rack (MW-530) but do not use it...Its actually the second one I've owned for as many bikes (bought one for the Sporty too) and they both pissed me off to the point of removing them...Wanted to try the saddlebag-combo thing, but never was able to...Just the rack on there alone is/was more trouble than it was worth (for me)...

Old 04-24-2006 | 01:53 PM
grape ape
Tourer

Yeah, that's an idea. I may fine tune the fit that way if it bugs me. Tell me, why did the rack **** you off and cause you trouble?

Old 04-24-2006 | 02:19 PM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

It just isn't big enuff to hold much and seemed like no matter what I DID put on it, I couldn't keep it from sliding around/off the damn thing...The way it is constructed, there is really no place to easily/effectively use bungees...It might help if they would put a couple CROSS bars (perpendicular) on it, rather than have them all running fore & aft...Also, it wouldn't hurt if it was just a tad wider, if not flatter...Just doesn't work well for me, dunno why I even bothered with the second one...Musta forgotten what a PITA it was the first time...

STeve

Old 04-24-2006 | 09:11 PM
grape ape
Tourer

OK, here goes. After I took these pics, I ended up bringin the ends of the ties on the yoke up through the center 2 rails of the rack to stabilize the bags and keep them from shifting. It worked.

Old 04-25-2006 | 10:26 AM
hd_sob
|
Road Master

I see now that what I was proposing (drilling the yoke and installing it UNDER the rack) isn't really necessary...I was assuming the yoke would be much wider than it actually is...In any case, it looks GREAT!

Old 04-25-2006 | 11:33 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior

hey grape ape,

That is a great looking scoot. Matter of fact, it was a tuff decision for me when I ordered my bike on which one to get. I was considering 3 different Dynas at the time I ordered mine : an 06 Low Rider in Dragonfly Green and Vivid Black, an 06 StreetBob in Cobolt Blue and the one I ordered, an 06 Fire Red Pearl Superglide.

Also its kinda hard to tell from the pics, but do you have guards behind your bags? If not,...do they get in your wheels?

John

Quick Reply: Hey grape ape!