Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line quick disconnect fix?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009 | 11:06 AM
NoLongerAmember
|
Banned
Default Fuel line quick disconnect fix?

I always disconnect the fuel line when I mess with the tank. Well, I had this bright idea that I did not need to since I was only going to lift it just a bit at the front, well the tank slid back and broke the plastic quick disconnect at the fuel rail. Has anyone came up with a fix to replace just the quick disconnect? man4mopar posted he replaced it with a metal one, anyone have P/Ns for this quick disconnect before I go to the auto store and deal with those, well, less than knowledgeable parts persons.
CB

Old 02-28-2009 | 02:37 PM
cramil
Tourer

I did the same thing. Seems a shame that is a plastic connection and that you have to buy the whole assembly.

Old 02-28-2009 | 02:38 PM
anubisss
Banned

Broke mine once too. Gotta buy the whole thing. HD marketing...

Old 02-28-2009 | 03:23 PM
NoLongerAmember
|
Banned

I found these Dorman 800-080

Or
Dorman 800-120

, but I can't find anyone who stocks them so I can't see if they will work.

H-D line is now 62349-04F 45.95 retail. Zanotti is 28.38, but shipping brings it to about the same price.
CB

Old 03-08-2009 | 01:30 PM
NoLongerAmember
|
Banned
Thumbs up Quick and cheap permanent repair

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I found these Dorman 800-080

, but I can't find anyone who stocks them so I can't see if they will work.

H-D line is now 62349-04F 45.95 retail. Zanotti is 28.38, but shipping brings it to about the same price.
CB
FYI, I ordered the Dorman 800-080, for $6.00 you get two. This is a no brainer fix for the broken H-D fuel line. Installed the connector last week and no problems to report. The only draw back is that these do not have the push button to release from the injector inlet pipe, but, it only takes an inexpensive small round plastic tool to disconnect. On the other hand, I don't even see much of a reason to disconnect the line from the injector inlet pipe since you can disconnect it from the tank and remove the tank to do what you need to do, which is what you want to do anyway since the tank connection shuts off the fuel flow.
The fix is easy, squeeze the spring clamp and slide it down. Take a smooth jaw plier, something that wont damage the fuel hose, and crush the broken end that is inside the fuel hose. The broken piece will flatten out so take a small needle nose plier and pull the broken piece out. Insert the new connector, squeeze and slide the clam back up where it was, clip it back on the fuel pipe and then the tank. Done.
CB

At minimum this is a quick fix to get you down the road or up and riding until you can go waste 50.00 on a new line. So order a couple today so you have them on your bench if the need for you or a friend arises!

Old 03-08-2009 | 01:48 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I broke mine and bought one from the auto parts...might have been for a Ford, but can't remember.

Take the HD one with you and match it up.

It wasn't sold as just an end, but as a longer piece...just use what you need.

It worked well to get me through the weekend, but I ended up with the braided one since I liked the look.

The 2005 one works on the '06 and ups.

Old 03-08-2009 | 02:00 PM
NoLongerAmember
|
Banned

Originally Posted by Mascman
I broke mine and bought one from the auto parts...might have been for a Ford, but can't remember.

Take the HD one with you and match it up.

It wasn't sold as just an end, but as a longer piece...just use what you need.

It worked well to get me through the weekend, but I ended up with the braided one since I liked the look.

The 2005 one works on the '06 and ups.
I did go the parts store and no one had a repair kit or so they said, probably had repair kits on the shelf but didn't even know what they were or where they are. Also, the kits usually come with a nylon hose attached and unless you're careful cutting it off you can create a leak if you score the barbs. Point is you can fix the line for $3.00 in about 5 minutes. I wasn't interested in spending 50.00 for an OEM or 40.00 for braided one.
CB

Old 03-08-2009 | 05:43 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
I did go the parts store and no one had a repair kit or so they said, probably had repair kits on the shelf but didn't even know what they were or where they are. Also, the kits usually come with a nylon hose attached and unless you're careful cutting it off you can create a leak if you score the barbs. Point is you can fix the line for $3.00 in about 5 minutes. I wasn't interested in spending 50.00 for an OEM or 40.00 for braided one.
CB
Braided one was only $20 so I didn't mind...matches my braided plug wires!

Old 03-08-2009 | 05:50 PM
cadore
Cruiser

Did it too...Funny though the new version of it is a whole lot better than the old one.

Old 05-11-2012 | 11:45 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by NoLongerAmember
FYI, I ordered the Dorman 800-080, for $6.00 you get two. This is a no brainer fix for the broken H-D fuel line. Installed the connector last week and no problems to report. The only draw back is that these do not have the push button to release from the injector inlet pipe, but, it only takes an inexpensive small round plastic tool to disconnect. On the other hand, I don't even see much of a reason to disconnect the line from the injector inlet pipe since you can disconnect it from the tank and remove the tank to do what you need to do, which is what you want to do anyway since the tank connection shuts off the fuel flow.
The fix is easy, squeeze the spring clamp and slide it down. Take a smooth jaw plier, something that wont damage the fuel hose, and crush the broken end that is inside the fuel hose. The broken piece will flatten out so take a small needle nose plier and pull the broken piece out. Insert the new connector, squeeze and slide the clam back up where it was, clip it back on the fuel pipe and then the tank. Done.
CB

At minimum this is a quick fix to get you down the road or up and riding until you can go waste 50.00 on a new line. So order a couple today so you have them on your bench if the need for you or a friend arises!
Your post saved my *** yesterday. Just wanted to say thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel line quick disconnect fix?