Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBay SS Braided Cable package experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:42 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

Hey Joe,
How do you dress up the ends?
Thanks.
John

Old 02-26-2009, 07:54 PM
NoShoes84
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez
Hey Joe,
How do you dress up the ends?
Thanks.
John
that was my next question. I think the rubber boots should take care of the throttle but the brake and clutch are going to need something I would think.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 PM
mebe007
Cruiser

you could use a small piece of electrical shrink wrap. we have used this when puting braided steel over fuel lines of cars etc.. that would be one option

Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 AM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Been thinking of getting braided cables, partly for looks, but mainly because they don't swell under hard braking and don't rot. Have to admit the fake ones don't look so shabby. My bad, I was considering brake lines too, so everything would match.

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 02-27-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:48 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

They don't look all that bad but it's just the thought of them being fake. It reminds of the guy at work with the Honda Shadow that has a fake air cleaner on the side of the engine.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:15 AM
NoShoes84
Cruiser

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
They don't look all that bad but it's just the thought of them being fake. It reminds of the guy at work with the Honda Shadow that has a fake air cleaner on the side of the engine.
HAHA! there is a guy that is rockin a fake air cleaner!? WOW I dunno what to say to that except I hope you ride him about it. I am assuming his air cleaner is under the seat so he used the fake one to make it look more Harley-ish? I do agree that the thought of them being fake is enough to spend the extra coin and get the real deal though but for 20 bucks it's kind of hard not to atleast try them out especially if they look as good as Joe says. On the other hand if your going to take off the stock cables just to cover them why not just replace them. That is what has got me on the fence about this.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea lol his 96 Honda Shadow ACE had a round chrome air cleaner housing on the side and it fell off. I asked him where the hell the filter goes since I didn't see anywhere that it looked like it belonged and he told me it was just for looks. I about cracked the hell up. I asked him if he was just gonna print out a picture of a harley engine and paste it to the side of his bike to make it look like a Harley and he got pissed.

His bike looked just like this one color and all...

Here is how it is supposed to look like without the fake air cleaner

And here someone has put the fake air cleaner on theirs just like he did.

Last edited by PigInaBlanket; 02-27-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:49 AM
dylanchua
1st Gear

I bought the apehanger set from this Ebay dealer before. It was a apehanger pre-wired with chrome controls and a full set of cables.

The brake line is actually supplied by Russell Performance. The throttle and clutch cables were Motion Pro and Barnett if I recall correctly.

Unfortunately, even though I specified the model and year of my bike (at that time was a 05 XL custom), the riser clamp area was a little too small. And despite calls and emails, the company refuse to do anything about it, insisting that the bar is not being fitted correctly. In the end, I had to get a correct bar from an indy and refit everything else on it myself. They then had the nerve to leave vengeful feedback on ebay.

Anyway, if we are just talking about the integrity of the product itself, the items are mostly sourced from known suppliers.

However, do note that the brake line came with chrome banjos. My experience with this was that they can and will corrode and potentially break.

For my current FXDC, I got the local Hel dealer to make up a line for me at the length I wanted. Hel uses purely stainless steel in all their fittings including the banjos and banjo nuts. And it was cheaper still!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM
DocDyna
Cruiser
Default Electrical Cable ????

After reading this thread, I thought I would give them a call and ask some questions. I have already switched all my controls over to teflon coated SS braids. I am looking for a chrome braid to cover the black wiring harness that comes from switches. Every thing else is chrome so why have this big black harness?? They recommended the 1/2" size since this is the non-expanded diameter. They say tubing will expand 200% but max size of the 0.500" is 0.750", my math is not that bad but I think this is only 150% expansion. Oh well, will give it a try, only need 8' so won't break the bank.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:59 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you can use shrink wrap to seal the ends, i use a small zip tie and a lighter to seal up the ends of the wrap... 5/16 will do all the cables no problem... will work on the brake but you have to know how to work the covering so that it will epand as you push it on... i am using the 1/2 cable wrap on my 3/4 oil lines on the cafe... got them rolling on there yesterday... took some time but they look AWESOME!!!
Pig when i did mine on my bob i wanted black braided cables, no one made them at the time. so i had to make something work... 75% of the poeple that look at the bikes have NO CLUE what braided cables are even for, let alone if they are real or fake but i do hear you... on my bob i did side entrence wrap so i did nt have to take them apart to do it... on the TX, new cables are too $$$ so i reconditioned the old cables and watned to clean them up... ill get some pics up once the ibke is done, just finished welding up the exhaust yesterday... start time is coming!

Quick Reply: EBay SS Braided Cable package experiences?