Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of helmet do your prefer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 03:45 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBRob
DSnoopy, whatever floats your boat...but if you ever had a "good quality" full face helmet you wouldn't have issues with sight and hearing. I don't wear a full face much cuz the windshield keeps chit from hittin' me in the face and it's on the bike most of the time.

BUT, if I ever go down and hit face first with my DOT Shoei half helmet I'm screwed...no protection at all....and no face left. It's just a chance I'm willing to take.
That's all I was trying to say. It's a risk I'm willing to take for the comfort for me. Maybe I just have not found the right helmet (I have a windshield too, so I have two half helmets that suck). I would test more helmets, but you can't, so I don't.

Old 02-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate wearing a skid lid, however, I choose to ride with a Shoei RF-1000 Full Coverage, White is not the best option out there and don't ask how I know.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
manofsteele2003
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

I just started wearing a headtrip helmet from carbonfiberhelmets.com. I love it. It's a lot smaller than my old Harley rally helmet, lighter and more comfortable. Best of all, it's DOT legal. Here are some pics for comparison. Note the Harley helmet is a small and the headtrip helmet is a medium.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM
AdrianVall
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm going to have to agree with DSnoopy. Every helmet I've worn, I've found them to be very distracting.

Full Face: Vision reduction, got heavy after a while and started to hurt my neck, can't hear to well.

Half helmets: Catch way to much wind and start to fly off my head (highway speeds), therefore pulling my neck back and constantly having to adjust my helmet distracting me from the road. AND, they are so damn noisy.. its ridiculous. So much wind noise.

BUT, I did try on that Scorpion EXO 100, and I have to say, that had to of been the most comfortable half helmet that I've tried on, and it doesn't make me look like a damn mushroom... so perhaps I'll give that a try.

In all honestly though, I RARELY ever wear a helmet. I enjoy the ride MUCH MUCH MUCH more without a helmet.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:51 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianVall
I'm going to have to agree with DSnoopy. Every helmet I've worn, I've found them to be very distracting.

Full Face: Vision reduction, got heavy after a while and started to hurt my neck, can't hear to well.

Half helmets: Catch way to much wind and start to fly off my head (highway speeds), therefore pulling my neck back and constantly having to adjust my helmet distracting me from the road. AND, they are so damn noisy.. its ridiculous. So much wind noise.

BUT, I did try on that Scorpion EXO 100, and I have to say, that had to of been the most comfortable half helmet that I've tried on, and it doesn't make me look like a damn mushroom... so perhaps I'll give that a try.

In all honestly though, I RARELY ever wear a helmet. I enjoy the ride MUCH MUCH MUCH more without a helmet.

I agree helmets have there distractions but I always wear one. I live in a Helmet law state but ride in Illinois and kentucky alot and still wear them there. Most my riding buddies only wear one when they have to.

My EXO 100 should be here in a few days i will post a report. The thing I hate most about half helmets is the wind pulling it off your head and the wind noise. The windshield solves this but i prefer to leave it at home most times. I am hoping the half shield will help it not get pulled back so much on the highway then can just push it up in town.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM
blackmopar
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rolled a naz-elty for a loong time - been runnin an hjc full face this winter yea yea, it does get to be winter here in socal a little bit anyway mostly for the fricken rain thats been SUCKING - but just put an order in for a biltwell 3/4

one thing i find with half helmets is wear a folded bandana underneath - this helps take up any slop between it and noggin, and also covers your ears for some noise reduction

Last edited by blackmopar; 02-27-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to say that the helmet is not for when you are riding it is for when you are not... Yes it will protect you from the stray marble sized rock that gets kicked up from the tractor trailer rig in the lane beside you going 80 mph (ever get hit with an 80 mph marble? yes this happened and thank God I was wearing a helmet - that would have really hurt), but I think the main purpose is to protect your head when you are no longer "riding". I agree with what everyone says about wind, noise, what ever, what ever... the only guarantee is that you will die and I just don't want that to be when my unprotected head hits something after I stop "riding". It would be great if that never happens and I pray that it doesn't.
When I was in the desert that helmet was heavy, especially with everything strapped to it, it was hot, it made my head itch, it just sucked, and it was so much nicer when I could take it off. Chances were that I wouldn't get shot anyway... right? I always wore that F***'n thing! And when I am on my bike I wear a helmet. When it's warm I wear a CC DOT Polo, when it's cold, Full helmet.
Disclaimer: this is just my opinion, and is not directed toward anyone, just why I wear one...

Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
jcmusic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of the half carbon fiber helmets that Harley sells, but it has the mushroom effect. Does anyone know of a DOT helmet that does not have the mushroom effect?

Jay

Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Advanced Carbon Composite one isn't bad. It definitely isn't the mushroom that the HD helmets are, but it isn't a skid lid either (the DOT ones). Check them out here: http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/ It is best DOT ones that I have found.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:31 PM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Scorpion EXO-100 1/2 helmet with flip down visor.

Quick Reply: What kind of helmet do your prefer