Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of helmet do your prefer

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:08 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Since I live in the country, I prefer to exercise my freedom of choice by leaving my favorite helmet home on the shelf.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:20 PM
yoseppi
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of helmet is that exaclt Joe? A vintage helmet, or one of those helmets that are one size fits all inside? Can't remember the manufacturer? Been thinking about one in flat black.

Originally Posted by JRK5892
I think we can all see what kind i LIKE

Old 02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayfinseats
I wonder how many accidents are caused because they ARE wearing a helmet? Can't see or hear very well. We don't have a helmet law here.

What a crock.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Handycam
Tourer

I have an HJC 3/4 which was pretty good, but like the other guy said, a bit too Spaceballs. For cold weather riding I bought a Scorpion EXO-700 last fall and it's an excellent helmet. For the warm weather i might try a Scorpion EXO-100 as pictured in an earlier post. They make good, reasonably-priced helmets, and are DOT and Snell. The Arals and Shoeis are too rich for my blood, and the Arals don't seem to fit the shape of my head that well anyhow.

Those of you that think helmets are for sissies, I hope for your sake your luck holds out. I am with Sumpnut 100%. You don't want to fall without one, plus all the road debris that's bounced off of mine would've ruined my day without one.

I used to ride without a helmet in younger days touring on a road bicycle, and one hit some sand and went down and klonked myself good. I was lying unconscious in the middle of the road, fortunately a driver stopped and helped. Had a nice concussion. And that was on a damn bicycle at <20mph.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yoseppi
What kind of helmet is that exaclt Joe? A vintage helmet, or one of those helmets that are one size fits all inside? Can't remember the manufacturer? Been thinking about one in flat black.

you're thinking of the Biltwell helmets - not sure if thats what Joe is wearing though

Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wbeem
What a crock.
I don't think so. Helmets are a hinderence IMO, at lease until your head hits something.

But seriously, a big helmet really screws with how I ride, see and hear the road. That's why I susually dont wear one. And by usually, I mean unless it's 35 degrees or I'm riding through a state that requires it. And even then I usually say f*ck it and don't wear one anyway.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:51 PM
wbeem
Tourer

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
I don't think so. Helmets are a hinderence IMO, at lease until your head hits something.

But seriously, a big helmet really screws with how I ride, see and hear the road. That's why I susually dont wear one. And by usually, I mean unless it's 35 degrees or I'm riding through a state that requires it. And even then I usually say f*ck it and don't wear one anyway.
Sorry, but I don't buy that line at all. This is a very old argument and I've seen a lot of silly and outright stupid argument against helmets, and this is one of the worst.

I'm not going to convince anyone to wear a helmet. It's an adult decision. If you don't want to wear one, that's your prerogative, just as it's my prerogative to always wear one.

What gets me is the stupid stuff postulated to absolve one's position.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wbeem
Sorry, but I don't buy that line at all. This is a very old argument and I've seen a lot of silly and outright stupid argument against helmets, and this is one of the worst.

I'm not going to convince anyone to wear a helmet. It's an adult decision. If you don't want to wear one, that's your prerogative, just as it's my prerogative to always wear one.

What gets me is the stupid stuff postulated to absolve one's position.
Dude, that's not the case at all. I am not trying to convince you or delude myself, which seems to be what your are referring to.

The loud wind in my ears, the lack of vision on a full face, the wind pulling my head up and back when I am trying to control the bike really bugs my riding. Ruins the comfort for me.

And you can say nay, and I can say yay all day long. It won't change the fact that I find helmets to be a distraction and hinderence when riding. I can't hear the car in my blind spot and I can't see the cars coming from the left or right on a sharp intersection (full face). Just my opinion for the way I like to ride.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Pythagrean
Cruiser

I have a Shoei TZ-1 helmet AND I LOVE IT. It is hands down the quietest helmet you will ever own. Since the helmet is so quiet with wind noise, you can hear your surroundings very well.

The picture of me below is my Joe Rocket helmet which I like, but the Shoei beats it by a long shot.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:22 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,265 Likes on 1,688 Posts

DSnoopy, whatever floats your boat...but if you ever had a "good quality" full face helmet you wouldn't have issues with sight and hearing. I don't wear a full face much cuz the windshield keeps chit from hittin' me in the face and it's on the bike most of the time.

BUT, if I ever go down and hit face first with my DOT Shoei half helmet I'm screwed...no protection at all....and no face left. It's just a chance I'm willing to take.

Quick Reply: What kind of helmet do your prefer