Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st things 1st

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009 | 08:37 AM
jskelington
Road Captain

I'd tell you ride the thing a while first. Believe me it will come to you what you want to change or add over time to make it your bike. Give it a chance you might like it like it is and that's way cheaper.

Old 02-25-2009 | 08:51 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member

I got forwards, detachable windshield and sissybar/luggage rack before I picked it up from the dealer. I then rode it another 2+ months before I did anything else to it.

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:10 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Get some miles on it.

That will tell you somethings you want to do. I knew i wanted pipes but i ride alot and iam not rolling in cash. After i rode the bike over 1,000 miles in the first week i went and bought a real seat lol.

Since then in a year and a half i have added sissybar, vance and hines big radius, and lots of chrome and frorward controls.

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:18 AM
wbeem
Tourer

Typically, the first things I do are improve the breather and the exhaust. You should immediately notice some slight performance benefit and a deeper sound from your exhaust.

Next, get a decent saddle on it. You may think the stock saddle is fine, but I never do after I've ridden on a bike for an hour or so. My preferences is for Corbin saddles, but there are plenty of other choices.

If you go for the forward controls, be aware that your knee may be knocking on that air cleaner and it can get annoying, if not painful, position to hit the rear brake. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but just be aware of the change in ergonomics and make your decision with as much information as you can.

Something else I did was to get a tool bag strapped to the front forks to carry the case for my glasses and a paperback book, in case I end up riding out for lunch on my own. Not much, but you occasionally need to stuff things away on the ride rather than jam them in your pockets.

I also tend to get a new helmet when I buy a new bike. There's probably no need to do that, but it's just something I like to do.

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:22 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member

Lots of good advise, I also recommend to ride it at least 500 miles stock. Then, when you decide what changes you want to make, you have a before and after feel of any improvements to performace, comfort or handling you've done to the bike.

I had my V&H pipes, SE stage 1 intake and HD download done before taking delivery, so I have no idea what the difference is compared to leaving it stock.

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:37 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

I agree with the ones that say ride it for awhile first. The mods you want to do will come to you as you ride and look at bikes on here.

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:37 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Bags and windshield. That, to me, is really the first decision you have to make. Most won't mention them because for most it's goes without saying. If this is your first bike then it's something you need to give some thought to.

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:47 AM
cpl215
Tourer

I'm in the ride it for a while group. That gives you the chance to develop a 'relationship' with it which will help you decide what direction you need to go with mods. You may decide comfort takes priority over performance, or if you commute on it you may decide on bags and windshield. Give it time and enjoy the feeling of owning a new HD.

Old 02-25-2009 | 09:50 AM
wbeem
Tourer

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
Bags and windshield. That, to me, is really the first decision you have to make. Most won't mention them because for most it's goes without saying. If this is your first bike then it's something you need to give some thought to.
I didn't mention them for this kind of bike because I think it ruins the lines. Then again, I also have a Road King Classic and I love the windshield and bags on that bike. For me, the Dyna was supposed to be stripped down (or Bobbed) of all that crap.

A windshield and bags are incredibly useful, but I wouldn't say it "goes without saying" for a Bobber. To me, the opposite would be true.

Old 02-25-2009 | 10:03 AM
flynavy
Road Master

You bought an 09 Street Bob?

*Get rid of the hideous grey engine block, in favor of the black like on the 08 and older SB.

*Get rid of the "pigtail" rear tail light

Good seat.

* Disclaimer: I think HD really ruined a great model with the 2009 version of the SB. I understand everyone has to make $$ these days, but how much did HD really save by not blacking out the engine block and leaving it that ugly stock grey that most get chrome bolt-ons to replace them with. I mean, you have to powdercoat the engine no matter what...is it saving real $$ by using grey instead of black? They blacked out the rims with the expressed purpose of doing a more blacked-out bike, but then changed the engine block? Just a real scummy way of getting more of us faithful and loyal HD owners' money - plain and greedy!!

I agree with SBRob 100% - ride it for it's break-in period first: 1K miles before doing anything. Most techs believe even a Stage I should wait until the first oil change and 1K service is completed.

During that time you'll see a lot of bikes. You'll get ideas of your own to make your bike "your bike."

After riding her stock for awhile you will be able to make a real good judgement on issues of form and function.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: 1st things 1st