Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a stupid idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:37 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this a stupid idea?

Get a detachable solo rack, pillion and a rigid sissy bar. Will it work? I want to use the solo rack as luggage rack and I like the look of the solo seat.

Or should I just go with a 2-up seat and a sissy bar even though my wife won’t be riding much?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:40 AM
wbeem
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a picture in the Harley Parts & Accessories catalog of a detachable pillion and rack, so that part will work. Not sure if they make a sissy bar for just the driver, if that's what you're thinking.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Atomic Injector
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save your self some cash and get a Motherwell rack. Here is a link to ebay for one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Moto...1%7C240%3A1318

Old 02-23-2009, 11:50 AM
DGDyna
Tourer

I guess that the core question is: Can I use a detachable solo rack and a rigid sissy bar?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDyna
I guess that the core question is: Can I use a detachable solo rack and a rigid sissy bar?
Yea, I think that would look retro bad ***.

You're using a solo seat... right?

I'm picturing a solo seat, a sissy bar (ridig mounted on side plates between the fender & the frame struts) and a detachable solo rack with docking hardware mounted on the outside of the strut covers (in the usual location)... right?

The sissy bar would be installed where the back of a two up seat would be... right?

Then you could run w/o the solo rack but with a solo seat and a sissy bar... right?

I'm picturing one of those sissy bars that come to a point at the top... right?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:05 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not sure if the solo detachable rack and rigid sissy bar will work toghether or not.

What would work and look better imo would be a Motherwells solo rack and then either the detachable sideplates or rigid sideplates. The mothers well is also cheaper and comes off quickly.

I was going to do that but ended up selling my solo seat and rack. I went with a slim 2-up seat with a drivers backrest and use it to attach a bag when needed. I just needed more back support for long rides than a solo seat offered.

Pics

Solo seat with a Motherswell no sissy bar but you get the idea

New seat with out bag and backrest

Bag on

Last edited by bberck; 02-23-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, you can do it or anything that looks right to you. I had to run with just my sissy bar and solo seat till my new one got here. Do yourself a favor and get a new seat. The stock one just cant compare to my new pillow looking seat. Some guys like those thin seats but I love the feel and back support I get from this new seat
Heres a picture of both.

Attached Thumbnails Is this a stupid idea?-soloseat.jpg   Is this a stupid idea?-seat.jpg  
Old 02-23-2009, 01:25 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

Looking at the solo seat and the sissy bar, I'm not so sure that the solo rack can fit in between. If I get the solo rack (for riding with the solo seat), 2-up seat and a complete sissy bar (all detachable) I could end up paying up to a grand! That ridiculous but it would fill all of my needs.

I think I'm getting off track from the original question but how can I bungy stuff to my bike when I have a solo seat if I don't have the solo rack?

Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDyna
Looking at the solo seat and the sissy bar, I'm not so sure that the solo rack can fit in between. If I get the solo rack (for riding with the solo seat), 2-up seat and a complete sissy bar (all detachable) I could end up paying up to a grand! That ridiculous but it would fill all of my needs.

I think I'm getting off track from the original question but how can I bungy stuff to my bike when I have a solo seat if I don't have the solo rack?
Will be tuff without scatching up the fender.

You can get a motherswell rack for about $100. It can hold quite a bit if you need it to without a sissy bar.

Bag straped to my motherswell for a 3 day ride.

Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
DGDyna
Tourer

How does it attach to the bike?

Is that a bag attached to the lower front of your frame? Doesn't that get beat up?

Quick Reply: Is this a stupid idea?